British man is Thailand’s 48th confirmed virus victim

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Will be hundreds if not thousands by next month.

Went to Makro shopping today, been a while as we would just go to the local Tesco for our basic stuff, but decided now with the school holidays to stock up.

Was frightening to see so many people wearing masks, temperature tests as you walked in, 36.4 so was good to go, I would say at least 70% had on masks, including all the staff, one customer was half wearing his black mask as if it were an accessory hanging off of his ear, then he coughs a few times. I had two of our kids with us, and stayed away from people and as soon as the wife was done shopping, I sent her and the kids to the car to wait while I lined up and paid for the bill, all this time watching and listening to the check out girl coughing, Jesus did that make me feel uncomfortable, not the Thai's though.

Anyways, the trip down south is off, we are staying put as I expect this to get worse, before it gets better because of certain factors out of all of our control, and yes I have become paranoid of late.

If you are not paranoid you either not well informed or in denial. 

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And another number to look at is "Sought medical services on their own at hospitals", which is the vast majority of PUIs. Meaning usurpers are trying to stick their heads in the sand instead of aggressively trying to find and isolate cases.

Now.. how many ICU beds does Thailand have? With this rate should be fully booked at some date, which I guess we could estimate from the growth rate and the usual percentage of infected ending up in critical condition.

And even if they have one and you need them can you afford it ?

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Yes and then we have the opinion of an Expert

‘Irresponsible’: Trump’s virus claim blasted

He is so toast it's just that he doesn't yet realise it . King Canute almost thinking he could hold back the sea.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8082327/15-MILLION-people-die-best-case-coronavirus-scenario.html

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1

I have to say leaving Swampy for the UK 2 days ago I was impressed by the set up. Every leaving passenger was heat screened and a doctor and nurse detained two elderly farangs for further questioning. There was hand sanitizer everywhere and most folks were wearing masks. Back in the UK - nothing just a small photocopied leaflet saying if you had returned from various countries n(including Thailand then you should self quarantine for 14 days and if you develop symptoms phone 111. 

1 hour ago, URMySunshine said:

And even if they have one and you need them can you afford it ?

Beds to go highest bidder at some point. Same when they manage to get some sort of vaccine in the market, etc. Money talks.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

And news that the virus is changing into a more difficult to control one is just plain scary.

you cant control it any more. Singapore being a tiny country covered with cctv and facial recognition

software does an ok job of contact tracing...perhaps the best Ive seen....but infected people saw no symptoms

initially....so they could go anywhere and infect anyone before their symptoms show.

only thing to do is maintain personal hygiene, cook well cleaned food at home and keep your social circle small to non-existent at least for a a few months.

5 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

I have to say leaving Swampy for the UK 2 days ago I was impressed by the set up. Every leaving passenger was heat screened and a doctor and nurse detained two elderly farangs for further questioning. There was hand sanitizer everywhere and most folks were wearing masks. Back in the UK - nothing just a small photocopied leaflet saying if you had returned from various countries n(including Thailand then you should self quarantine for 14 days and if you develop symptoms phone 111. 

Yes, but then they have everyone use fingerprint scanners.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Stop traveling, just stay where you are !

I am one of those 90 day visa people, I don't want to travel, but FORCED as immigration does not hand out extensions if ex-wife keeps refusing to sign some papers after divorce....

silly to fly every 90 days or less for a freaking stamp to reactivate another 90 days, to be able to stay in thailand and take care 24/7 of my teenage child, that my ex also does not allow to leave the country...

12 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

If you are not paranoid you either not well informed or in denial. 

I feel more relaxed after watching this, it was not sensationalised, his views are in line with mine, that doesn't mean that I just made sure all of our private health insurance policies were up to date and that we will take much precaution to keep away from people and if required to keep the kids out of school when due to return in May, if required.

17 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Stop traveling, just stay where you are !

Agree and global governments should stopping all international travel now , not when it becomes a pandemic .

Seems to be economics first , health & safety second 

I don’t believe any of the numbers that have been reported to the people of Thailand this is one of the biggest scams that I can imagine people here are going to be suffering and Snd a few will be dead the government is doing absolutely nothing TIT

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Went to Makro shopping today, been a while as we would just go to the local Tesco for our basic stuff, but decided now with the school holidays to stock up.

Was frightening to see so many people wearing masks, temperature tests as you walked in, 36.4 so was good to go, I would say at least 70% had on masks, including all the staff, one customer was half wearing his black mask as if it were an accessory hanging off of his ear, then he coughs a few times. I had two of our kids with us, and stayed away from people and as soon as the wife was done shopping, I sent her and the kids to the car to wait while I lined up and paid for the bill, all this time watching and listening to the check out girl coughing, Jesus did that make me feel uncomfortable, not the Thai's though.

Anyways, the trip down south is off, we are staying put as I expect this to get worse, before it gets better because of certain factors out of all of our control, and yes I have become paranoid of late.

I have to ask why are you suprised at people wearing mask, the people in my bank started wearing mask in Jan.. The two trips I have made to makro people where wearing mask.

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

I think that British is not telling the whole story. UK is not a high risk country, how did he get the virus?

He visited Hong Kong just like the article says..

..besides the English guy is probably concentrating on not expiring from drowning right now rather than pretending to not have the virus as you suggest

Edited by NightSky

18 hours ago, smedly said:

as of right now Pattaya has no reported infections yet they are disinfecting major tourist areas like walking street and soi 6 ………….why ?

To prevent infections?

Just a shot in the dark......

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

At least they seem to be testing farangs. For once we're preferred. For obvious reasons, then they can scream "the evil farangs brought it here!" when the real figures finally see sunlight.

And because farangs must pay. Must pay much, much more.

16 hours ago, humbug said:

they will just comply to keep the money by setting up crisis management centers, hospital care, free masks, say they will test at borders or incoming people all for show, but in reality doing very little, and IMF and WHO keep releasing funds, they clearly think they can fudge the population with small handouts and keep the rest

And this way farang pay twice. Once, with money in their home country, funded by their taxes, going to WHO and IMF and twice when they pay the higher farang rate at Thai hospitals.

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The wife and I went to Makro Tuesday no temperature taken but it was needed at the Big C.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yes, but then they have everyone use fingerprint scanners.

With alcohol hand cleanser on the desk. I went through swampy yesterday too.

It was going like clockwork.

19 hours ago, smedly said:

that is what they are telling people and I for one don't believe them

Don't you think that if the situation was bad there would be plenty of people writing about it on social media, decrying the government as liars? These days there are no secrets. Medical staff in particular would quickly expose any lies as they are in the front line and would be most at risk from any cover-up.

It really is quite extraordinary how this has been blown up out of all proportion. One dead in Thailand out of nearly 69 million, and he was sick anyway. One dead in the UK, an elderly lady who was sick anyway, out of a population similar to Thailand. And so on. The only place it has caught on to a serious extent is China. In most other countries the effect has been minimal, and people get sick anyway with 'flu-like symptoms'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

I have to ask why are you suprised at people wearing mask, the people in my bank started wearing mask in Jan.. The two trips I have made to makro people where wearing mask.

Because unless those 70% or so are infected, the masks do nothing, absolutely nothing to protect them, so why wear one ?

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

And this way farang pay twice. Once, with money in their home country, funded by their taxes, going to WHO and IMF and twice when they pay the higher farang rate at Thai hospitals.

That’s a great point, and something those Han-Chinese anti-westerners in SE Asia should take note, when they say westerners are entitled, they vilify us, then like scam artists, they take the money from the free societies, because we try to care, unlike these gangster regimes controlled by the largest scam CCP china

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Don't you think that if the situation was bad there would be plenty of people writing about it on social media, decrying the government as liars? These days there are no secrets. Medical staff in particular would quickly expose any lies as they are in the front line and would be most at risk from any cover-up.

It really is quite extraordinary how this has been blown up out of all proportion. One dead in Thailand out of nearly 69 million, and he was sick anyway. One dead in the UK, an elderly lady who was sick anyway, out of a population similar to Thailand. And so on. The only place it has caught on to a serious extent is China. In most other countries the effect has been minimal, and people get sick anyway with 'flu-like symptoms'.

please, can we reduce the pro-Beijing trolls or anti-free society trolls, I mean even CCP doctors said it was originated in Wuhan, WHO(public relations for China) are now letting info out on the Wuhan virus being a cocktail of sars and aids, if you want a country to replicate of what NOT to do, then look at the gangster regime of Iran, lies about numbers, covered up news, arrested people on social media, and bingo it explodes, also starting to increase again in Singapore, and that country is top of trying to contain this Wuhan virus, you just kid yourself it’s the flu, the bond market is screaming something different, it’s a worldwide crisis, and thanks to CCP China cover up in December, 10’s of millions of life forms will suffer an horrendous 2020

23 minutes ago, humbug said:
4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

please, can we reduce the pro-Beijing trolls or anti-free society trolls, I mean even CCP doctors said it was originated in Wuhan, WHO(public relations for China) are now letting info out on the Wuhan virus being a cocktail of sars and aids, if you want a country to replicate of what NOT to do, then look at the gangster regime of Iran, lies about numbers, covered up news, arrested people on social media, and bingo it explodes, also starting to increase again in Singapore, and that country is top of trying to contain this Wuhan virus, you just kid yourself it’s the flu, the bond market is screaming something different, it’s a worldwide crisis, and thanks to CCP China cover up in December, 10’s of millions of life forms will suffer an horrendous 2020

The only country where it has had a catastrophic effect is China. How is saying that, as I did, pro-Beijing? The number of people elsewhere that have contracted the virus has numbered in the 10s at most in the vast majority of places, with deaths almost zero.

Here are the figures outside of China:

With the virus outside of China: 21,611.

Deaths outside of China: 427 (many/most of whom were vulnerable/had underlying conditions).

Population of the world outside of China: 6.3 billion.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

In my opinion, 427 deaths out of 6.3 billion isn't too bad and most certainly not a cause for panic. Of course the numbers will rise, but for them to rise to a level that threatens society and commerce needs an unrealistic increase, maybe 500,000 or a million times increase, and that isn't going to happen. Twenty million died in WW1, 75 million in WW2, by the way. The world survived.

The financial markets had the biggest drop in over 10 years and, miraculously, had a record rise two days later. Nothing new there. Just market manipulation which causes prices to fall and then the profit makers move in and up go the prices again.