Returnee from Thailand one of two new Covid-19 cases in Queensland

rooster59

Returnee from Thailand one of two new Covid-19 cases in Queensland

By THE NATION

800_e8e4be72fee2781.jpg

One of the two new Covid-19 cases in Queensland, Australia, is an 81-year-old male who recently returned from Thailand, the state government said on its @QLDHealth Facebook page on Thursday (March 5, Thailand time). The man is in a stable condition at Sunshine Coast University Hospital.

The other case is a 29-year-old woman from Brisbane, who has been isolated but is now well. She travelled recently from London to Brisbane, with a short stopover in Singapore.

Contact tracing is underway in each case, which means that officials are directly contacting people who are known to have been in close contact with the two.

“If they have been in close contact with people we cannot identify or contact, the government will update the public and ask for their help to alert these people so assistance can be provided,” the Facebook post said.

Thirteen people in Queensland have been confirmed with Covid-19, including three from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383510

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-07

17 minutes ago, dcnx said:

This would be the 5th and 6th person who traveled to Thailand and left with the virus.

Everything is under control. 

They could not have been infected here, it had to be from someone on the flight who was from another of the infected countries.....wait for that spin from the ministry....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its very easy to at least attempt to show some transparency, release the number of tests they do, why do none of the reporters in these meetings with the Health Ministry ask for this. For example the UK has now tested over 20,000 people!

Instead it seems more cases of transmission in Thailand is being discovered from other countries, there was one discovered in India yesterday to https://www.livemint.com/news/india/coronavirus-update-another-delhi-man-tests-positive-after-thailand-trip-11583476563268.html

Even the British guy confirmed yesterday after travelling from the UK via Hong Kong, it had nothing to do with the Thai authorities finding him, he presented himself to an International Hospital and had the privilege of paying a hefty fee to get tested.

Absolute disgrace.

According to UKGOV website all foreigners will be tested free and receive free treatment. This includes migrants including illegal migrants. Here we are not even allowed to know how much we might pay. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

According to UKGOV website all foreigners will be tested free and receive free treatment. This includes migrants including illegal migrants. Here we are not even allowed to know how much we might pay. 

As a foreigner obviously nothing.

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its very easy to at least attempt to show some transparency, release the number of tests they do, why do none of the reporters in these meetings with the Health Ministry ask for this.

The media is owned and controlled by the Military system and the reporters work for them.Did you think the was freedom of speech here?

• Like 2

Call me crazy but something is not adding up here with there numbers so low in Thailand .  Went to macro up here in remote issaan and they were doing temperature checks on everyone if there was no spread of the virus up here why would they be doing this so far away from tourist areas That's right its all under control I'm a bit sceptical of the numbers

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Call me crazy but something is not adding up here with there numbers so low in Thailand .  Went to macro up here in remote issaan and they were doing temperature checks on everyone if there was no spread of the virus up here why would they be doing this so far away from tourist areas That's right its all under control I'm a bit sceptical of the numbers

They need to create employment for those who lost their job in the tourist industry. It's a bit like those useless metal detectors in the BTS/MRT. 

Edited by Tayaout

17 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Makro is doing it everywhere.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Makro is doing it everywhere.

yes and i hope everyone has realized why. to protect their stores and employees so they don't have to decontaminate the whole place like other business are having to do.

Once it gets to the giant main warehouses they are done. 

11 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its very easy to at least attempt to show some transparency, release the number of tests they do, why do none of the reporters in these meetings with the Health Ministry ask for this. For example the UK has now tested over 20,000 people!

Instead it seems more cases of transmission in Thailand is being discovered from other countries, there was one discovered in India yesterday to https://www.livemint.com/news/india/coronavirus-update-another-delhi-man-tests-positive-after-thailand-trip-11583476563268.html

Even the British guy confirmed yesterday after travelling from the UK via Hong Kong, it had nothing to do with the Thai authorities finding him, he presented himself to an International Hospital and had the privilege of paying a hefty fee to get tested.

Absolute disgrace.

Agree. Ban all travellers from the UK. Absolute disgrace.

Edited by emptypockets

9 hours ago, khunpa said:

Yes, it is an absolute. disgrace, but I am sure there must be a "tipping-point".

Currently 1.600 people are admitted to hospitals and defined as so-called PUI patients. The number of PUI patients is constantly growing day by day. All it would take, was testing these patients and get back the results to completely empty the waiting-list. Has the virus or does not have the virus. It is very simple.

As this is not happening, I will personally assume that these people must have the corona virus. So in my head Thailand has over 1.600 cases instead of 48. That. also makes better sense, as Thailand is exporting the virus to other countries.

It might empty the list but it won't empty the hospitals which is the important issue. People aren't magically whisked away somewhere if they are confirmed infected.

In today’s live stream Wuhan virus guardian report on spikes of cases in UAE, it mentions one of the cases was a returnee from Thailand, this land is becoming an exporter of virus cases much like China and Iran

8 minutes ago, MikeyScars said:

Iranian Official Warns of 40% of Tehran’s Population May Contract Coronavirus

Tehran's population is 12 million...s**t....

https://see.news/iranian-official-warns-of-40-of-tehrans-population-may-contract-coronavirus/

IRAN:

Two men face jail in Iran for licking holy shrines in defiance of ... saying, "I'm not scared of coronavirus", before licking and kissing the gates.

image.png.1eb6692a27f8286fc25d33e37ae9dc68.png

9 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

The difference between a civilized society and a... well, I'd rather not say.

12 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

They aint testing people here. Its fact!! 2 of my friends in bkk tried to get tested because they showed the symptoms and they were told its a common flu and go home. They didnt even considering answering the question about being able to be tested. Perhaps they dont have the brains or the government would prefer to allocate money in to lies and miss information instead of tests?

It's insights like this that do elude to the real state of things in Thailand. I've read various posts of people on TV and online in general, that show an increase in pneumonia among all ages of people. 

22 hours ago, dcnx said:

This would be the 5th and 6th person who traveled to Thailand and left with the virus.

Everything is under control. 

Thai exports will be the focus Monday... on the up.

As far as testing or not, maybe Thailand also has a low supply of the materials used in the tests and can't test all. 

Read in the local danish news today that hospitals are running low on special trays used for that specific Corona test and the producer can't deliver enough, so they are in back order. 

So they save their tests for people that they need to know if they are positive or negative and not just testing everyone who walks in and want a test. 

They still have the ability to use other tests but those are supposedly much pricier and requires more staff /longer waiting time for results. 

Personally I'm not to worried about the Corona virus as for my own health. I'm more worried that an epidemic would infect 10% of the population at the same time, which would have a huge effect on most countries Healthcare systems and overload the hospitals, which also would affect all those people hospitalized with more severe things when surgeries etc is canceled due to the work burdens. 

But it seems like we might as well get used to this strain of Corona virus and now just have to try and control it as best as possible before a vaccine is ready.

As for checking temperatures in Bangkok Airport the only thing I noticed when we arrived yesterday, was an area that had monitors and thermal cameras so I assume they are trying to pinpoint out those with a somewhat higher temperature than normal. 

Other than that the only thing I noticed was that many used facemasks, even Europeans. 

Personally not using a mask since I'm not sick or have symptoms.

Going by the advice from most experts since this virus is not airborne. Sticking to proper handwash/hand sanitizer and using common sense.

On 3/7/2020 at 6:15 PM, ozz1 said:

I got tested at the dentists in a small market town in Isan

On 3/7/2020 at 2:45 AM, unamazedloso said:

They aint testing people here. Its fact!! 2 of my friends in bkk tried to get tested because they showed the symptoms and they were told its a common flu and go home. They didnt even considering answering the question about being able to be tested. Perhaps they dont have the brains or the government would prefer to allocate money in to lies and miss information instead of tests?

Go and try in Germany. Haha. 

No free tests IF they have test kits.