Govt now requires arriving foreigners to specify countries recently visited

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Salerno said:
1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

My only concern is that nearer the time as things get worse they dont ask me to quarantine myself for two weeks, espeically as I'm only there for 10 days ????

Hmmmm, nice little earner, quarantine you for 14 days then hit you with a fine for 4 days overstay. 

Ha ha! Wouldn't that be understay?

• Haha 2

Xenophobia raises its head again. Why just foreigners when the most recent cases of testing positive are Thai.

The Immigration Bureau has announced that all foreigners arriving in Thailand must now specify the countries they have recently visited

• Like 2

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

Xenophobia raises its head again. Why just foreigners when the most recent cases of testing positive are Thai.

The Immigration Bureau has announced that all foreigners arriving in Thailand must now specify the countries they have recently visited

They are quarantining Thais, look at a few other threads.  Sattahip, in Buriram, not pretty in Buriram, the Governor there is taking it in the shorts over poor conditions imposed on Thai people.

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

A european could move anywhere within the EC through many countries and not have one stamp in his passport. 

Damn, for a moment there, I thought this was about Thailand... I must be on the wrong forum.????

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

That’s a false Information. They screen at several borders, even if you had the positive experience in Laos. Crossed on SAT at Ban Phu Nam Ron. They didn’t care that I stay in Thailand. I hold a high-risk country pass =he has to be screened ????. They took a photo of my passport, my address etc. 

I know about Phu Nam Ron. I passed through there a few weeks ago. On arrival, they do a cursory screening but ONLY on the Thai side of the border and not when you're leaving.

MEANWHILE, droves of Thai registered cars pass through the barriers there without getting checked. Who are these people?

Laos = NOTHING. I passed through two borders there recently, one leaving Thailand, another coming back to Thailand (by car). No checks on the Thai or Lao side.

NOW keep in mind, regulations seem to be changing daily. I can't keep up with all the little changes that happen overnight but I understand Thai authorities have started strictly screening Burmese nationals (for some reason) but not Laotians. Neither country has recorded a case yet. My experience from Phu Nam Ron was last month and Laos was last week. So I'm pretty up-to-date I think...but it could be that if you're from Italy or Spain (sounds like Spain, given your handle) they may be a bit more rigorous than before.

Edited by drbeach

15 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Can they check your passport for this info?

They could, if they flip through the pages.  And I would hope they would to check what people scribbled on the form.  All nonsense and will solve nothing except slow down the immigration lines again

• Like 1

This measure is not some paranoid, xenophobic exercise. This is a sensible precaution as one of many strategies to help the stop or slow the spread. Peoples help is required and part of that relies on a certain degree of honest disclosure. The principle of self-isolation and quarantine relies on that disclosure; as does advising immigration where you have been prior to entering the country. 

The alternative of turning a blind eye to where people have come from prior to entering Thailand leads to a potentially a far worse situation. There will be people that cheat and lie - that is to be expected. But most will disclose their prior travels easily as they want to remain safe.  

16 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So they aren't interested in stopping the spread but merely filtering it out.Excellent plan!

So arguing semantics regarding the use of one word in the article is the best you can do?

As for those who isist the information is already in the passport, of course it is, but wouldnt each passenger listing their history save time over having the officail flip through each page and try to establish a timeline of their own?

It is a perfectly reasonable precaution, why the complaints. I just dont get it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

Ridiculous paranoia. 

Searching for racism where there really is little cause.

I havent heard one story about foreigners being beaten up shunned or mistreated in thailand for covid 19 paranoia, yet the rest of the world is rife with such reports.

I think all your post reflects is your own bias.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

As for those who isist the information is already in the passport, of course it is

The countries that use self-service these days via automatic gates no longer put any stamp in the passport, inwards or outwards - it's all in their computers. You're way behind the times

3 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

The countries that use self-service these days via automatic gates no longer put any stamp in the passport, inwards or outwards - it's all in their computers. You're way behind the times

So that just reinforces my point that the declaration is a justifiable, even necessary precaution.

I may indeed be well behind the times but living and travelling regionally, I have not encountered self service.

Edited by metempsychotic

16 hours ago, tifino said:

... a cumbersome form to be stapled into a Passport!

I can visualise yet another page with a big staple tear init!

Indeed, that is far greater a concern than virus screening.

Not to mention of course that there is no mention of a requirement to staple anything anywhere.

But I suppose if you are looking for anything to nitpick, its as good a place as any to get started. 

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ready, set, go, 14 day vacation, flying in from Singapore, oh wait, 14 day quarantine upon arrival, so no vacation.  What 5 star accommodations will i be booked into along with my free medical screening procedure......sorry my sarcastic inner child could not resist.....

Would you rather no precations were taken at all? 

You are well aware of the global situation, and of the risks and requirements upon arrival in barious ports.

It is in your power to cancel if you wish.

Try flying elsewhwere, see if you are any better recieved having been in what is considered a high risk location. 

13 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Would you rather no precations were taken at all? 

You are well aware of the global situation, and of the risks and requirements upon arrival in barious ports.

It is in your power to cancel if you wish.

Try flying elsewhwere, see if you are any better recieved having been in what is considered a high risk location. 

My entire post was dripping with sarcasm, sorry if it did not seem as such.  I have no travel plans, and with the issues at hand would not even think about it.  However, just read a CNN article about the 20 something crowd buying cheap tickets for all locales as they could never afford them before.  There take on it, "If I die I die", "but I will have had fun while dying"

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

A european could move anywhere within the EC through many countries and not have one stamp in his passport. 

Neither would they have a stamp in their passport from Hong Kong (which is one of the countries in the spotlight) 

Edited by Mike Teavee

17 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Not a Word about the 90 who Escaped , we will here about this later, hmmm, Smart Cars just sit there

The Word as reported yesterday in the BP is that 74 of the 80 runners have reported to their local health authorities and that authorities know the address of the remaining 6 at large.