Pattaya: Makro full of shoppers as Thais and foreigners stock up on food items

webfact

It’s never a bad idea to have some food/water and useful things in reserves regardless of what’s going on in the world. The government is not really a friend you can depend on in times of desperation. 

my only concern is if everything is locked down like some other places are. I went to Villa today and it was pretty busy to be honest. The stuff I was wanting was sold out. Ie, pancakes and KD macaroni. Someone bought everything they had. Toilet paper was all gone of course, bread was running thin, same with milk. Still plenty of food though. Cheeses, meats, 

We are just staying home now. Feel bad for my kids who aren’t really able to do anything. 

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I went normal (not panic buying) grocery shopping yesterday, Macro, tops and big C, happy to report that the shelves are full and there is no sign of large crowds or panic buying etc. If anything the number of people out and about doing shopping is probably less than usual.

The photo of Macro above is how Macro always looks, its a bulk food warehouse where people buy in bulk, if anything there are less queues than usual.

A seriously irresponsible report that will only serve to create a panic buying situation where none exists at the moment.

However the Super Highway Makro in CM this morning was chaos. We were parked just next to the highway, no car spaces. I thought looking at the panic buying they must be giving food away. Meh. Most had stacks of bottled water, tissues, and toilet paper; now you cant tell me they are all shop keepers buying stock! We felt as being odd, as we actually had food in our trolley, but not your 24 tins of this, that and other stuff. I think I may have taken the gold medal also as the only person without a mask on , so bizarre all wearing paper masks which they probably have worn for days now.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, petermik said:

As john says,nothing new here normal weekend shoppers......:thumbsup:

p.s. anyone know if they have any bog rolls left   :cheesy:

best  call a  top  level minister, am sure he can source you some..............before hes  transferred

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I went normal (not panic buying) grocery shopping yesterday, Macro, tops and big C, happy to report that the shelves are full and there is no sign of large crowds or panic buying etc. If anything the number of people out and about doing shopping is probably less than usual.

I think that reporters in Thai media need to yell, "Panic!" and point to "panic buying" in Thai stores when there isn't any.  That sort of fake news should be targeted by the government as purposefully attempting to cause a public crisis.  It's irresponsible.
Was out at Big C Hangdong yesterday.  Normal Sunday shopping and little else. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vogie said:

I havn't died from it yet either, but I have always had my reservations about their procedure, but this Covid 19 is just one step too far for me and in all honesty I cannot tell the difference between their fresh or frozen.

Oooh, is this you falling for project fear? Something you've been banging on about forever!

5 hours ago, vogie said:

As much as I like Makro, buying fresh meat from there has turned into a no no, when they have the fresh meat for anyone to touch with their bare hands it is somewhat off putting, I know they supply plastic gloves but not everyone uses them. So due to the present climate it is all frozen meat from now on.

But will pop down down later and get a little more provisions than I normally would, the less times you go out is better for all concerned.

Don't take it the wrong way but when I buy raw meat regardless of how it is packed, I cook it over 145°Fs. NO bacteria will survive however, I see shoppers touching, squeezing, coughing over fresh fruit then replace it for someone else to buy. Now, how many people really wash their fruit thoroughly? Not just a dash of water over the waxed skin that the cold water just rolls off of or rub it on the side of your not so clean trousers then eat it. Honestly, raw meat is the last of your problems unless you are eating it raw. 

Frozen meat has it's own complications to prepare before cooking and if not done right, it  can lead to severe food poisoning more so than raw meat being touched by dirty hands.

Food for thought.... No pun intended:

Perishable foods should never be thawed on the counter, or in hot water and should not be left at room temperature for more than two hours. Even though the center of the package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter, the outer layer of the food could be in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140 °F -- temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly. When thawing frozen food, it's best to plan ahead and thaw in the refrigerator where it will remain at a safe, constant temperature -- around 40 °F

I stopped buying toilet paper when I moved to Thailand thirty years ago and discovered those wonderful water sprayers in bathrooms - much more hygienic.  I fail to understand why people would want to hoard it.

• Like 1

I live in the country and rarely go to a supermarket. Buy everything fresh from local suppliers. Bog rolls, etc always in stock in the local shops. Absolutely no panic buying. In fact, life in general carries on as normal. No bars, cafes or restaurants to close down anyway

Just back from Tesco , no panic buying ,all as normal ,,the wife and i were in the minority wearing face masks . the only shortages were tesco products ,but its been like that for ages ,i suppose its because they were selling up .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, curious297 said:

Don't take it the wrong way but when I buy raw meat regardless of how it is packed, I cook it over 145°Fs. NO bacteria will survive however, I see shoppers touching, squeezing, coughing over fresh fruit then replace it for someone else to buy.

I have no reason to doubt your wise words, but if someone touches the raw meat with their hands that may or may have not been washed and may have trace of excrement on them. Whether that excrement is boiled, baked or even barbicued I would prefer to give it a miss.????

CNN CEO:

”Lets call it a pandemic, that’ll get ratings up!

Good call man, then the WHO will follow...”

Beware of a few people in power to create and “use” the powerful tool called FEAR to rape the people.

Its happening over this flu bug.

Edited by PumpkinEater
Misspelled

10 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

CNN CEO:

”Lets call it a pandemic, that’ll get ratings up!

Good call man, then the WHO will follow...”

Beware of a few people in power to create and “use” the powerful tool called FEAR to rape the people.

Its happening over this flu bug.

If you going to ridicule and minimise the seriousness of this outbreak at least get the name right so it seems you have even a slight idea to back up your criticism... It's not an Influenza virus !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, petermik said:

As john says,nothing new here normal weekend shoppers......:thumbsup:

p.s. anyone know if they have any bog rolls left   :cheesy:

Yeh in there dam toilets NO bum guns YUK Smearing poo around your bottom with tissue. As there loos are very clean, i would rather flush twice and use the bowl water, to clean.

i am buying a few more items to save visits not panic buying. my macro has never been as empty as this one. NEVER EVER, i wish.

3 hours ago, CM Dad said:

I stopped buying toilet paper when I moved to Thailand thirty years ago and discovered those wonderful water sprayers in bathrooms - much more hygienic.  I fail to understand why people would want to hoard it.

Me to. I keep a 60 ltr bin of water in the bathroom for emergency, in case my  3,000 ltr tank runs dry, i even use the town water for cooking plus tea and coffee. I never shower coz i'm a falang. ????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A seriously irresponsible report that will only serve to create a panic buying situation where none exists at the moment.

And this advertorial was Sponsored by ...makro! ????

Edited by NightSky

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The photo of Macro above is how Macro always looks, its a bulk food warehouse where people buy in bulk, if anything there are less queues than usual.

Couldn.t agree with u more .if that's macro busy god help them when its quiet

13 hours ago, CM Dad said:

What do you dry your bum with after?