mosquitos in our tank, how to kill

stupidfarang

On 3/19/2020 at 4:18 AM, cooked said:

Spray with a normal insecticide, if possible empty the tank? Then scatter a small amount of Proline 1% SG or similar to prevent larvae from developing. Repeat. You can get Proline at the local clinic or in pharmacies.

Thank you for the info, have just moved into the house a month ago, the owner came yesterday an placed oil in the tank then another liquid "PANDA" brand not sure what it is, anyway it has worked. I will try the Proline 1% SG next month or when ever the mosquito's return.

1 hour ago, AnnaBanana said:

Never heard of  mosquitos in a sewage [septic] tank.

You would think it would be too toxic for anything but bacteria to live in.

In any other kind of a tank the introduction of small fish usually solve the problem.  They eat the luk nahm as fast as they appear.

We have little fish in our lotus ponds and no problems with mosquitos.

3 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Please try the oil-only solutions recommended in this thread ... any chemicals you add will likely leach into your environment and make life difficult for frogs ...

Harmless to aquatic life.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2020 at 9:19 AM, overherebc said:

Very thin layer of oil on the surface works by blocking the breathing tube on the larvae.

mosquito_larvae_03-12-13.jpg

Anything that breathes through it's bum can't be good.

Yes a couple of drops of baby oil will do the trick

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:58 AM, pdtokyo said:

Please try the oil-only solutions recommended in this thread ... any chemicals you add will likely leach into your environment and make life difficult for frogs ...

In Oz a small amount of kerosene is even put into rain water tanks, i was told it prevents mozys laying their eggs.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 11:56 PM, AnnaBanana said:

Never heard of  mosquitos in a sewage [septic] tank.

You would think it would be too toxic for anything but bacteria to live in.

In any other kind of a tank the introduction of small fish usually solve the problem.  They eat the luk nahm as fast as they appear.

maybe OP meant to write; Sullage Tank? 

i.e. for grey water 

maybe throw some fish in... not necessarily goldfish, being to dainty. Then keep replacing the dead fish each morning... they crave mozzie  wrigglers

Edited by tifino

On 3/21/2020 at 9:19 AM, overherebc said:

Very thin layer of oil on the surface works by blocking the breathing tube on the larvae.

mosquito_larvae_03-12-13.jpg

Anything that breathes through it's bum can't be good.

I think that breathing method might apply to Australian politicians ... they certainly seem to talk through their bums lol ????

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2020 at 3:15 PM, overherebc said:

It's obvious it's a fresh water tank. Mozzies can't live in sh-t.

Still use only oil, fewer chemicals the better.

Yes they can, we have a barrel with a bag of buffalo sh*t dissolved in it,for fertilizer

and it's full of mosquito larva, also reading a story where this farmer in

Thailand grows Mosquito larvae under his chicken pens,full of water and

chicken poo,and sells the mosquito larvae to freeze dryers who sell for fish food.

Oil is the best and safest way to get rid of them.

regards wor geordie 

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes they can, we have a barrel with a bag of buffalo sh*t dissolved in it,for fertilizer

and it's full of mosquito larva, also reading a story where this farmer in

Thailand grows Mosquito larvae under his chicken pens,full of water and

chicken poo,and sells the mosquito larvae to freeze dryers who sell for fish food.

Oil is the best and safest way to get rid of them.

regards wor geordie 

I suppose my meaning was on the under ground tanks that hold everything from the toilet etc, the soakaway types that don't go to the sewage system, but I take your point.

Hi,

what kind of tank do you use? Is it one what have to be emptied or is it one with 2 compartments what is used as a water cleaning system?

Because the second one uses bacteria. And i think it is not a good idea to use chloride or any other chemical product to kill them ( even an oily seal). Because this could also kill your tank bacteria.

I have one like that also but i have a constant airpump working what make the water bubbling. This airinfusion also helps to make the water cleaning more easy for the little friends.

And mosquietoes only lay eggs in standing water. So i think this is the easiest and healthiest way to get rid of them.