Covid-19: Governor of Chonburi says please don't leave the province

rooster59

Covid-19: Governor of Chonburi says please don't leave the province

2603633-1280x720.jpg

Image: 77kaoded

Chonburi's governor has implored the public not to leave the province during the coronavirus crisis.

In a letter that clearly targeted workers going back to their homes and villages he warned that doing so may endanger loved ones especially old people and children.

After Pattaya's entertainment industry was shut down many employees have decided to travel home, notes Thaivisa. Many have already gone sparking fears that this will spread the coronavirus.

There are now seven checkpoints in the province monitoring people who do decide to travel - two main ones and five secondary points.

Pakrathorn Thianchai had four main points in his emergency Covid-19 letter advising against travel:

1. If you don't have Covid-19 you may get it on your travels. If you have a little of the virus you may get more and symptoms could get much worse. If you have the virus you may pass it on to people on your travels. You could infect your loved ones and people like the elderly and children.

2. Stay at home and clean your home. Protect yourself there and guard against bringing the virus in from outside if you go out.

3. If you have been at boxing or other risky events or places or associated with people who have then you must quarantine yourself.

4. Don't congregate and stay 1-2 meters apart.

Another decree, letter number 6, outlined that there are seven checkpoints on the roads in Chonburi. The authorities - that will include police, military personnel, protection agencies, health personnel, local officials like phu yai ban - will be checking to see that people are wearing masks and not running temperatures.

Two main checkpoints are on Sukhumvit Road in Klong Tamri of Muang district and on Route 331.

Other checkpoints included in the order are in Pong district of Bang Lamung in the Pattaya area, Route 344 and Sukhaphiban 4 in Bo Win, SriRacha,

Sources: 77kaoded and 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-28

6 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

If they have no income, due to job loss, they may no longer have a home in Chonburi to stay in and clean, with no way to pay rent and bills.

That's probably why many will travel back home to their province, to stay with family.

If that is true. But I bet that everyone who can afford a car here did not stop their rental, can still pay their bills, will not magically get a job in the rural areas they are travelling to and are considering this a vacation.

Edited by DeeMak9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Is that even possible ???

apparently so (i had no idea either!) - here's a quote from sky news:

It is "crucial" for people to limit their exposure to coronavirus, according to Dr Parker.

"The amount of virus we are exposed to at the start of an infection is referred to as the 'infectious dose,'" he said.

"For influenza, we know that that initial exposure to more virus - or a higher infectious dose - appears to increase the chance of infection and illness.

"Studies in mice have also shown that repeated exposure to low doses may be just as infectious as a single high dose.

"So all in all, it is crucial for us to limit all possible exposures to COVID-19, whether these are to highly symptomatic individuals coughing up large quantities of virus or to asymptomatic individuals shedding small quantities.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-is-viral-load-and-why-does-it-matter-for-covid-19-11963393

Is it the same please as wearing a helmet or don't drive drunk.

Oh sorry I forgot those are laws already...

Maybe he and his fellows should have thought about securing some basic income for all those informal workers before shutting down their businesses. Then they could stay.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

apparently so (i had no idea either!) - here's a quote from sky news:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-is-viral-load-and-why-does-it-matter-for-covid-19-11963393

Yes that's initial viral dose...

But good ol' governor says that if you travel with a little bit, you might get more ????

Is that possible ?? Once infected with a mild dose, you might come into contact with someone and get a bigger dose !!

11 hours ago, christophe75 said:

The same governor who decided to close all 7/11 shops... from 10 PM to 5 AM ?

No idea if it was him, whoever it was ain't that smart in my opinion, whilst there is no curfew, then keep them open 24/7, the new hours will mean the same number of customers have to go in a shorter space of time, which is counter productive to social distancing, plus of course a whole night shift has just been laid off and are probably heading home!

• Like 2

"If you have a little of the virus you may get more and symptoms could get much worse."

They obviously want to dissuade people who have already got it with mild symptoms from going out thinking that they have nothing to lose as they can't catch it twice. It makes sense to say this, whether it is true or not, but I wonder if there is any scientific basis for the premise that you can catch a double dose. I remember reading that it was believed possible for HIV positive people to catch a second strain of HIV.

In the UK they are trying to dissuade people from using their stay at home time to visit tourist spots like the Lake District and the Scottish Highlands. I imagine that Chonburi is keen to keep Bangkokians out at this point.

I guessing that authorities in Chonburi and Pattaya actually intended that laid off workers should head back to their villages and suspect the same thing in Bangkok.  That's whey we see this common theme of shutting the stable door after the house has already disappeared. Expecting that the lockdowns might have to continue for sometime, the last thing they want is large numbers of people stuck there with no income getting increasingly desperate.  If the exoduses resulted in a huge increase in infections due to people travelling in crowded buses and bus stations and transmission moves to villages with hardly any healthcare, this would just be viewed as collateral damage and of no consequence.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If they have no income, due to job loss, they may no longer have a home in Chonburi to stay in and clean, with no way to pay rent and bills.

That's probably why many will travel back home to their province, to stay with family.

Indeed, and the governor is more concerned with the loss of revenue than with the loss of residents.

Money, money, money and his own job security. Nothing whatever to do with the well-being of the people.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DeeMak9 said:

If that is true. But I bet that everyone who can afford a car here did not stop their rental, can still pay their bills, will not magically get a job in the rural areas they are travelling to and are considering this a vacation.

Most Thais know how to live off the land, when i first came here i was amazed at how they could make a meal out of what i considered to be weeds and those huge snails found around the rice paddies. Even now i learn more, i watched the missus cut down young banana trees and cook the white center, now after a few days tree sprouting again, wild spinach etc etc. Please explain how they can pay their bills with no income, i would love to know please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Most Thais know how to live off the land, when i first came here i was amazed at how they could make a meal out of what i considered to be weeds and those huge snails found around the rice paddies. Even now i learn more, i watched the missus cut down young banana trees and cook the white center, now after a few days tree sprouting again, wild spinach etc etc. Please explain how they can pay their bills with no income, i would love to know please.

They start by assuming the government does not exist except when the handouts arrive in the bank account.. Then they follow through by living as they did 300 years ago.

Works pretty well. Like everything else, they learn the value of their government over time.

Apart from that, they learn to use what they have, be it ever so little. It's a 3rd-world country, they live like 3rd-world people because they don't have many choices and the people upstairs still want their money.

If Thais get hungry, they pop out and plant some more rice. If the amartya get hungry, they pop out and plant some more Thais. Alas, it was ever thus in the 3rd-world.

Edited by ParkerN