Heads up, just got slammed with import taxes

NorthernRyland

A few years ago I would buy cigars from Famous Smoke for a price including freight of typically $50. A week later I would receive a notification from Thai Post to visit the Phrakanong PO to pay the tax and collect the parcel. Typically it was 2,000 Baht tax. I subsequently found out that if the shipments were smaller, such as a sample pack from Famous Smoke (about $15 all in) then the parcel would be delivered direct to my mail box with no need to visit the PO and pay the taxes. 

Edited by mark5335

20 hours ago, genericptr said:

I'm going to quit Thailand instead. Pipe smoke is least of my smoke worries here. Woke up to 450 pm2.5 today. 

Wow, in that environment it is difficult for a smoker to make a meaningful contribution.
might just as well not bother ????.
We had the air purifier running all night, one small venting window open, "just" 180 pm2.5 this morning.
Now wondering how many replacement filters I should get before they go out of stock.

20 hours ago, CGW said:

You can't argue the point with customs, to import any tobacco product you need a license, they have you over a Barrel :shock1:

Thailand does know how to impose taxes!

Thailand does know how to impose taxes! ... Oh yes they do. Take a number, triple it, then add twenty percent.

21 hours ago, genericptr said:

Is it even policy to charge 100% tax on tobacco? I can understand import taxes to fund the federal government but 100% is extortionary.

You just do not know how much taxation that governments levy on tobacco and cigarettes.

The cost of a pack of cigarettes, I mean production costs, are about half a US Dollar, depending on quality. That pack sells in the UK for over 10 pounds, or about $12. So much for your 100% tax charge!

In many years of ordering AliExpress I neve had to pay tax …, orders small to medium and once a Tablet /Laptop value 16000 baht (1 kilo ), that one I feared to become taxed ….,but  no tax to pay just delivered by Thai post 

21 hours ago, CGW said:

You can't argue the point with customs, to import any tobacco product you need a license, they have you over a Barrel :shock1:

Thailand does know how to impose taxes!

This is correct. As an infrequent 'importer' of quality cigars for personal use and sent via EMS to me in Thailand, the hammer came down around 2 or 3 years ago. First, the Customs office at Laem Chabang seized the lot (2 boxes), citing the need for a license to import tobacco, and returned them to sender. My buddy had similar experience with his consignment turning up back at his NE home about 2 months after being rejected at Laem Chabang. No, there was no suggestion of paying duty or otherwise 'buying' them. So I reverted to using a Bangkok delivery address and had no problems paying the import duty (assessed by weight) when I went to the Lak Si post office to collect them. Laem Chabang enforced the new law without exception whereas the last time I used Lak Si, Bangkok, they didn't.

The OP being assessed 100% import duty suggests to me that he was being nailed for not having a license. However, the legal procedure is forfeiture of the tobacco without any duty being assessed, like Laem Chabang. Looks like wherever the OP was clearing his tobacco was on a 'nice little earner'. By law, without an import license, you cannot import tobacco, even for personal use.

As for why the OP managed to import duty-free for 10 years, maybe the authorities were always fixated with protecting the domestic Thai (state) tobacco industry? Cigarettes and rolling tobacco were always a red flag. Cigars, due to their lower volume less so. Over the previous 12 years or so, my cigar 'imports' have attracted between 0% and ~10% duty. Loose, pipe tobacco was probably hardly worth bothering about; not worth the paperwork. Different game now with a government increasingly enforcing new laws.

On 4/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, genericptr said:

I've been ordering pipe tobacco from the United States once or twice a year for over 10 years and never once paid any taxes. This time however, they've levied an insane 100% tax (2000 baht) which if you don't include the shipping costs is over 100% of the value of the product ($50 USD + $20 shipping).

No doubt this is to help recoup loses in the government coffers during the pandemic, but we warned this is probably a bad time to order anything unless you can be sneaky about it.

The fact that you've been able to import tobacco for personal use without paying any taxes is unbelievable compared to other countries importation laws and practices.

If a buyer in America ordered tobacco he'd have to apply for a permit or be punished under USC Title 18, Section 1716E which means paying amount equal to 10 times the retail value making a 100% tax look cheap.

There is an array of FDA laws in place governing it so it's exceptionally strict as you probably know.

These are ofcourse federal laws. I'm pretty sure if you break it you can be sent to prison and then you got a criminal record and your life goes up in smoke from there.

So all in all, comparing to the Evil empire, a 100% levy is a nothing burger. 

• Like 1

I am a regular buyer online - mainly Aliexpress / eBay and Lazada.
This what I have learned over the past 10 years:

1. Importing any item less that 1,200 B or $30 USD usually are import duty free.
2. AliExpress and eBay typically will value any shipment item within the above guidelines.

3. For most items imported from the US, I will have them shipped to my daughter in LA who will them send them along to me via USPS. Most of those items are imported duty free.

4. Never purchase any item on eBay using their Global Shipping Program - complete rip off.
5. Avoid importing via major courier services such as UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc. You will always be charged the max import duties. Most times however the shipping time is quite short.

6. Generally items shipped from the UK via Royal Mail are always shipped very quickly to TH - under 7 days - and surprisingly, most shipments, regardless of value, come duty free. No idea why.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, david555 said:

I never being asked to open my luggage in 8 flights , ….but once I was seating down floor waiting for  my Pattaya bus , when a  young Thai in blue suit  cigarette in hand asked me for a fire ….. , I declined as I am a non smoker whole my life  …, as a sudden i noticed the name plate on suit ….., I started laughing as I realized it was a customs guy . So I suggested to go up for luggage check, as seems it looked he wanted to trick me , he declined also, no need to open luggage as he realized a smoker guy would already offer him the cigarette lighter as "a brotherhood of smokers " member ….555555

This tricks they use  

All cops are sneaky.  Immigration cops come on a home visit when you get marriage visa extension.  As soon as they arrive one cop will go to Hong Nam.....not for a pee but to check if there is a second or third toothbrush & towels and a Shave kit....unless he sees you have a beard!  But I fear the days of bringing suitcases loaded with tools,  food items and shave cream and waltzing out "Nothing to Declare" will be soon over.  The shave cream I buy in the big size for $2.50 on special in Oz is $8+ in the small can here! 

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No, its NOT use courier services ! wherever possible.

You are right Charlie.

I buy items from eBay and tell the seller not to use a courier. Only snail mail. So far it has worked.

37 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

All cops are sneaky.  Immigration cops come on a home visit when you get marriage visa extension.  As soon as they arrive one cop will go to Hong Nam.....not for a pee but to check if there is a second or third toothbrush & towels and a Shave kit....unless he sees you have a beard!  But I fear the days of bringing suitcases loaded with tools,  food items and shave cream and waltzing out "Nothing to Declare" will be soon over.  The shave cream I buy in the big size for $2.50 on special in Oz is $8+ in the small can here! 

Correct  ! :

I had that on a condo visit , not for me , but for a Russian Wanted lady who apparently had address before me got rentid it, exactly how you describe 6 outside 1 came in and 1 needed urgent go hong nam …., the one in  even opened balcony window doors and watch left and right, wen they saw quick I was not the one they wanted , became at ease and friendly , checking my always O.K. visa status (1year ret.ext.) having a (inquisitive ) chat ….when seeing I had beore E.D. visa  1 year multiple ….. "the big fish eat small fish trial question , I just replied in English : but small fish can swim and hide where big fish can not follow....55555 …..also had the tooth brush thing , as I opened my bedroom closet to show no lady clothes and remarked no lady things in hongnam …… his reply :But 2 tooth brush !.., my reply : 1 soft 1 hard ….. his reply : why? ….. mine : give gum problem if always using (honest truth )

Anyway they where friendly when leaving …., 3 weeks later they raided  that Plazza condo across Sukhumvit & my condo building (not my condo) and found a Kazakhstan  woman trade gang apparently 

Lesson out of this , don't leave even minor western non suspicious things in sight as play cards or dices  as that came also on topic in the inquisitive chat , " they probably trying / looking for a small side earner …?

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

I suggest that you switch to pot. it is widely available throughout Isan and is probably better that tobacco and might take your mind off the current situation 

And  having the chance to win get a very long stay visa in the kingdom 555555

Edited by david555

I ordered and received small amount of  golf shirts , asked to pay import taxes at the post office, no problem with that , but received no receipt for the tax paid, the parcel was covered with red texture , calculations from Bangkok ?? customs I was told , final sum paid but only signed for the parcel, no entry anywhere for the import tax I was paying. I thought why ask for the receipt, they will refuse to release my parcel until I pay .Lessen learned , never again ordering from O.S. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, david555 said:

Why you think on Suvharhnaboumi  the customs always ask first if you have cigarettes (tobacco ) or wine …..both their favorites for taxation .

time to quit smoking , it is bad for your health and it is  getting more & more restricted here in Thailand 

Yes, especially with this type of news, glad I quit smoking a couple of decades ago. Now about that wine import tax ... hey! It is medicinal, the Doctors say it is good for my heart ... along with the dark chocolate! 555

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

If a buyer in America ordered tobacco he'd have to apply for a permit or be punished under USC Title 18, Section 1716E which means paying amount equal to 10 times the retail value making a 100% tax look cheap.

There is an array of FDA laws in place governing it so it's exceptionally strict as you probably know.

These are ofcourse federal laws. I'm pretty sure if you break it you can be sent to prison and then you got a criminal record and your life goes up in smoke from there.

So all in all, comparing to the Evil empire, a 100% levy is a nothing burger. 

Hmmm, is that right?  

Over the past ~15 years, I've ordered quite a bit of pipe tobacco from Germany, Ireland, Denmark, UK, Italy and Indonesia IIRC.  Bought plenty from American stockists as well of course.  I've even sent pounds of 'baccy to friends around the globe as pipe smokers tend to be a friendly bunch.

In all, I still have almost 135 pounds of aged and rare tobaccos, in fact my handle here is a reference to my pipe smoking hobby.

link to my pipe tobacco collection if you are curious:

http://tobaccocellar.com/CWL

Nobody from Customs or ATF has kicked-down my doors yet. -Good thing they don't know about my cigar collection!

My understanding is that most items imported into Thailand attract some form of tax unless from an ASEAN country.

I got caught a few times when items were shipped by courier companies 

(eg DHL etc) also the companies want to charge you an additional fee “ for clearing customs”

Now I will only order items if sent by mail

Re the 100% rate referred to if you import a motor vehicle I believe it is 300%

On 4/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, genericptr said:

I've been ordering pipe tobacco from the United States once or twice a year

So you continue to smoke to damage your respiratory system, your lungs, to make it easier for the Corona Virus to make you sick. Irresponsible! You'll be blocking a ventilator for someone else!

Edited by yuyiinthesky

Yes...it's a RIP-OFF. Recently had a package shipped from USA to me here. Shipping was $93 USD and declared value was $100 USD. Customs duty was ฿2993. Was expecting to pay some duty 20-30%, but never expected 100%. :1zgarz5:

I read somewhere that Thailand was no longer allowing items below 1000 baht to be excluded from import tax. This was mainly aimed at ecommerce. Australia used to be $20 tax free but that stopped too. May be the reason?

On 4/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, BobbyL said:

Okay, well it has worked for me and others at recent times.

I was charged import on personal belongings sent from England by DHL a few years ago. 

Yeah, probably alot. I looked in to it awhile back and decided that importing the stuff in my European home just wasn't worth it. The only way round it would be for my Thai wife to live over there for a while and then import it all herself as her personal property acquired whilst living there. There are still limits even then. But Thailand is not alone in charging exorbitant import duty even on personal possessions.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

My understanding is that most items imported into Thailand attract some form of tax unless from an ASEAN country.

I got caught a few times when items were shipped by courier companies 

(eg DHL etc) also the companies want to charge you an additional fee “ for clearing customs”

Now I will only order items if sent by mail

Re the 100% rate referred to if you import a motor vehicle I believe it is 300%

You don't pay anything for value (including shipping) up to 1500 baht. Even with the couriers I've found that works. Over 1500 at all and you pay. The regular post has a better chance but they still do checks. I've been hit a couple of times recently which makes me wonder if they're checking more or I've just been unlucky.