Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

Many articles here in the USA are now surfacing saying many states have gotten some of the stimulus money, but many are saying they are using it for administrative fees, or even for upgrading and modernizing their old systems.  So I smell some money grab and delays popping up.

New Jersey is begging for COBOL programmers.  Jesus. I worked on a COBOL conversion effort back in 1997 in Providence Rhode Island.  Hard to believe that other states did not wean themselves from COBOL in the last 20 years.

11 minutes ago, andy said:

Didn't read the whole thread but...is this IRS portal where you enter your banking details operational? 

No.  Not operational. 

My understanding is unless you have a 2018/2019 return on file or receiving Social Security/Railroad payments you will need to file a 2019 simple return one way or another to get any payment.  As mentioned earlier in this thread TurboTax has open a special portal to provide direct deposit info but the questions/data input it walks you thru is actually filing a simple 2019 return.  And there are also the array of other companies which offer free or paid filing.

So, right now since you appear to have been filing but just not needing to provide any direct deposit or payment info, you would get a check in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

image.png.151b35823a0fb18f65c3e80421260d3a.png

Edited by Pib

If below 9 Apr 2020 news report is accurate the US Treasury will begin "pinging" (so to speak) peoples' direct deposit bank accts on 10 April/Friday....that is, send an ACH request to confirm it's still a valid bank acct with your name on it.  And then if getting the right response begin stimulus direct deposit payments next week.  

Also talks the launch later this month (i.e., April) of the  portal for a person to provide direct deposit info.  

See below weblink for full article....I included a partial quote of key paragraphs. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/09/treasury-expected-to-get-started-on-stimulus-payments-friday-178683

The Treasury Department on Friday is expected to take the first step in getting economic stimulus payments to millions of Americans, who will get access to the money next week if they have direct deposit bank accounts, according to financial industry sources.

Paper checks for people without direct deposit would start going out early next month, though some could take up to five months to reach recipients and there are still unanswered questions about how banks will handle some of them.

The initial step involves clearing the payments that will be directly deposited, with banks expecting a Treasury Department transmission Friday to confirm the money will reach the right accounts. On Monday, the IRS would begin processing the payments — up to $1,200 for individuals, $2,400 for couples and an extra $500 for children — and the direct deposits would hit people's bank accounts on Wednesday........

The IRS is working to get paper checks, beginning the first week of May, to the estimated 100 million Americans who don’t have direct deposit, the industry sources said. Some 5 million checks will be mailed weekly over 20 weeks.

Hoping to expedite more payments, the agency is expected to announce Friday that it will launch an online application later this month, called "Get My Payment," that will allow taxpayers who filed tax returns in 2018 or 2019 to submit direct deposit information if they didn't provide it on their returns.

Just some supplemental crossfeed relating to the new portal in lopburi3' post.  

A snapshot from a SSA email I got this morning.

image.png.fc9daf27efec804892e1995df97c7005.png

A SSA news article and partial quote regarding the new portal...go to weblink for full article.   To me this is beating around the bush in saying if you are receiving additional SS payment related to your child(ren) that in order to ensure you get the extra $500 per child stimulus payment you will need file a simple 2019 return.

https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/releases/2020/#4-2020-2

image.png.cd15aa3ad0d19386a86473f69ae8adbf.png

It said include the info but................

Do NOT continue here if:

• You receive Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or SSDI benefits. The IRS will automatically send you an Economic Impact Payment.
  • You have already filed a 2019 federal income tax return.
  • Your 2019 gross income exceeded $12,200 ($24,400 for a married couple) or other reasons require you to file a 2019 federal tax return.
  • You were married at the end of 2019 and are not submitting information here with your spouse.
  • You were not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident in 2019.............................. I already receive SS for myself AND my child, so I assumed that since SS knows all my details,including direct deposit info, I won't have to do anything, and my child would get the credit also.
Edited by fredwiggy
Addition
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Says,like before, don't go to that site if you receive SS. How can I file for my child? Since they already have details for the both of us, it shouldn't be necessary.

I think you will find out that even thought a person is drawing social security and also receiving extra for child that unless you have a 2018/2019 tax return onfile also reflecting that child as a dependent you will not get an extra $500 per child because the rules/laws/qualifications for eligible children can vary between the SSA and IRS.  But time will tell.

Edited by Pib

Hot of the press....see below below from the SSA Blog....from the Commissioner of SSA.  You will "not" initially receive the extra $500 per child unless having a 2018/2019 return on file.  The link below provides full details...and I included a partial quote.

https://blog.ssa.gov/new-guidance-about-covid-19-economic-impact-payments/

New Guidance about COVID-19 Economic Impact Payments

People who receive Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability insurance benefits and who did not file a tax return for 2018 or 2019 and who have qualifying children under age 17 should now go to the IRS’s webpage to enter their information instead of waiting for their automatic $1,200 Economic Impact Payment.  By taking proactive steps to enter information on the IRS website about them and their qualifying children, they will also receive the $500 per dependent child payment in addition to their $1,200 individual payment.  If Social Security beneficiaries in this group do not provide their information to the IRS soon, they will have to wait to receive their $500 per qualifying child.

42 minutes ago, andy said:

Just read through this link - it appears to be ONLY for non-filers.  Helpful for some then, but not those of us who file but never include bank account details.

Suspect without bank details it will be a check to the address on tax form.

• Like 1

I went and tried,and before. I've never filed before, always had someone do it,(preparer) I have no idea what to put in a lot of spaces. I put my SS income, then at the end,it asks if I ok to pay by electronic withdrawal. I never end up paying, and not this time either, and I can't go further because it says I left some items out.Those I don't know the answers for. Tax transcript (tried to register but don't have a US phone number) Guess Im SOL

Edited by fredwiggy
Addition

In past years I have always used DD to my Thai BKK for refunds, but that was prior to the required format change from ACH to the IAT format. Does anybody know if the IRS will submit direct deposits following the new IAT format?  Seems like they should; I read somewhere that they ( IRS) will get their  DD info from SS payments.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:08 PM, andy said:

Didn't read the whole thread but...is this IRS portal where you enter your banking details operational?  I have not paid or owed taxes in a long time (working expat and always exclude all my foreign earned income), so no banking details have gone on my 1040 for quite some time as my taxable income is always $0.  Unless the IRS is going to look back 20 years or so, they won't have my bank account info.  I always file with a foreign address but I hope they aren't dumb enough to send out $USD snail mail checks abroad...?

they're working on it.

a couple weeks.

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

I always file with a foreign address but I hope they aren't dumb enough to send out $USD snail mail checks abroad...?

Why not?  All US snail mail is sent via air.  Never had a check go missing in the last 28 years living here in Bangkok and I have received a lot from insurance (although most direct deposit lately).  Mail is still getting here from USA.

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Why not?  All US snail mail is sent via air.  Never had a check go missing in the last 28 years living here in Bangkok and I have received a lot from insurance (although most direct deposit lately).  Mail is still getting here from USA.

How recently? I heard airmail service here is over.

1 hour ago, hereforgood said:

92473925_839873266489696_7220606001928470528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_eui2=AeFsgaPWhLunsm_Jyx0TnBBu0mJCmjWiS8fSYkKaNaJLx8BX-HcGZgIjabRy31Un4ICM8BJ26SEISllUP1binzlK&_nc_ohc=uQF9ZbCFH30AX8-W4dL&_nc_ht=scontent.futp1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=2b5074d21e836870049227ad48a3914c&oe=5EB6DAA5

This from a friend here in Thailand with 3 kids .My son also got theirs today as well

Good to know the payments are beginning to flow. 

Since some have wondered if the IRS will send in ACH IAT format I can tell above payment was sent in ACH Domestic format since it has a "310" entry in the payment description.   I expect above snapshot is from a U.S. bank and not a Bangkok Bank acct.

• Thanks 1

There are plenty of true stories out there explaining how the funds will be distributed.  First will be to tax filers that had refunds sent to a stateside bank using 2019 returns or 2018 returns if none for 2019 yet.  SS recipients that haven't filed because their income was below the minimum for taxes, will get an additional amount sent to where ever their current checks go.  Amounts are 1000 per adult person with limit of 75000 income for single filer, married filing get up to 150000.  amounts over the max cause a decrease in the 1000 per adult.  Children 16 and under will receive 500 dollars.  Even overseas Americans will be eligible for these funds as ALL AMERICANS are required to file income tax every year no matter where they are living if they make over the minimum, that is why they will b eligible for these funds even if living overseas.  There are other caveats to these funds and all are available via google and other search engines!

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I went and tried,and before. I've never filed before, always had someone do it,(preparer) I have no idea what to put in a lot of spaces. I put my SS income, then at the end,it asks if I ok to pay by electronic withdrawal. I never end up paying, and not this time either, and I can't go further because it says I left some items out.Those I don't know the answers for. Tax transcript (tried to register but don't have a US phone number) Guess Im SOL

Since you seem most concerned about the extra $500 allowed for your child but are having problems in filing a 2019 return as you described above (and you didn't describe which free filing program you were using), well, have you given the brand new IRS "Non-Fliers Portal" the IRS opened today as it "might" work for you since apparently it asks fewer questions/needs less info.

Now I know when you go to this new portal website it will start off by saying below which implies if you are receiving social security to "not" use it. 

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment

image.png.429d8d7545733e9bc8156aa3b9c8ee52.png

However, another IRS webpage which I show below (and leads to above non-flier IRS webpage) says someone on social security "can" use the non-flier website if, repeat, if they need to use it to claim the $500 payment per child.   So, you might want to give the brand new IRS Non-flier webpage a try to see if you can enter the necessary info to get the extra $500 per child since you are having problems in filing a 2019 simple return.  If it works out you'll get your $1200 plus another $500 for your child. 

But if you can work through your current 2019 return filing issues you would probably better off especially if an additional stimulus payment(s) come about as more-and-more politicians keep calling for as it is an election year when politicians love throwing money form the helicopter to get re-elected.   

This is just another example were filing a federal return each year "even when not required due to income level" comes in handy in qualifying and easily claiming a benefit.  Even in some states to claim certain benefits a person needs to show they have filed a federal recently (whether needing to or not due to income level) in order to claim/receipt the benefit.  

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

image.png.21e37422ce288982085959f4c8c5bec4.png

21 minutes ago, Pib said:

Good to know the payments are beginning to flow. 

Since some have wondered if the IRS will send in ACH IAT format I can tell above payment was sent in ACH Domestic format since it has a "310" entry in the payment description.   I expect above snapshot is from a U.S. bank and not a Bangkok Bank acct.

Encouraging post but the questions remain...

1. What originating bank or institution and

2. Will Bkk Bank USA branch forward or accept the IRS payments to our local Bkk bank here in Thailand? As you stated, the above remittance was made in the ACH format