Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

The wife and I have never received a refund from IRS directly deposited to our US bank.  However, we paid our taxes for 2019 by direct transfer from our joint account at the same US bank.

We got notice today of one pending $600 deposit.  Last round, I got my paper cheque months before my wife got hers.

Just received my deposit in my bank in the US BUT, they did not include payment for my 15 year old son as a dependent.

They paid my dependent on the first round. Now what?

Guess I have to wait till the new FAQ's go up next week. Not happy.

Never a smooth experience with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question. As I mentioned earlier, the IRS made a computer error and made it like I had claimed myself as a dependent, rejecting me for that. After talking to them, they said I could claim the stimulus, and I'm guessing this new one, on another return this January. I see that all free fillable forms are erased every year, so you need to file a new one. I've always filed with a return place until this last time, and this time I was screwed. Does anyone, who files regularly, know if I can use another simple form for this, claiming the stimulus as a credit, or do I have to go to a return place, free or otherwise, and file a 1040, somehow claiming the stimulus from both years as a credit, as I've seen said? I didn't notice much on the free fillable forms, which opens january 25th, anything besides just basic information asked. Nothing about claiming anything as a credit, but I may have missed that.

The IRS has posted the 1040 form plus instructions for 2020.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

A snippet from the What's New section:

Economic impact payments—EIP 1 and EIP 2. Any economic impact payments you received are not taxable for federal income tax purposes, but they reduce your recovery rebate credit.

Recovery rebate credit. This credit is figured like last year's economic impact payment, except eligibility and the amount of the credit are based on your tax year 2020 information. See the instructions for line 30 and the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet to figure your credit amount.

Edited by gamb00ler
more info
  • Like 2

I retired last year, actually the end of December 2019, from a job that paid over $100,000. So I didn't get the stimulus even though my 2020 income went down to under $50,000. 

But, I just started doing my taxes online and see that I will get the $1800 ($1200+$600) stimulus refund bump due to my actual earnings in 2020. Yahoo! (Actually I'd prefer the government had used it to pay down the deficit to make my dollars worth more. But they're out of control so taking what I can get.)

• Like 1
On 1/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, frantick said:

I retired last year, actually the end of December 2019, from a job that paid over $100,000. So I didn't get the stimulus even though my 2020 income went down to under $50,000. 

But, I just started doing my taxes online and see that I will get the $1800 ($1200+$600) stimulus refund bump due to my actual earnings in 2020. Yahoo! (Actually I'd prefer the government had used it to pay down the deficit to make my dollars worth more. But they're out of control so taking what I can get.)

How are you able to do your taxes online the ones I've tried won't let me 

10 hours ago, Mike k said:

How are you able to do your taxes online the ones I've tried won't let me 

You want to file online? For free?

Free online filing has some AGI restrictions. OTTOMH, ~ $72,000.

Obviously paid services and software allow for online filing.

The issue with free services is spending time filing and then you get to the end and voila, because of your particular circumstance, you can't file without an "upgrade".

IMO, you should research various paid services/software and choose the one which works for you.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You want to file online? For free?

Free online filing has some AGI restrictions. OTTOMH, ~ $72,000.

Obviously paid services and software allow for online filing.

The issue with free services is spending time filing and then you get to the end and voila, because of your particular circumstance, you can't file without an "upgrade".

IMO, you should research various paid services/software and choose the one which works for you.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

I've been using a service but it's about $400.00 short form no state 

2 hours ago, Why Me said:

Has anyone got their $600 stimulus check here in Thailand which GetMyPayment says was mailed Jan. 6?

My payment was NOT sent to Thailand, but perhaps the timing will be illustrative.

IRS said:

We scheduled your payment to be mailed on January 6, 2021 to the address we have on file for you.

I received the debit card on January 23 at my relatives US address.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Got mine but I have direct deposit to my Thai bank account.

Mine would be a physically mailed check to my Thai address as that's what the IRS will have from my return. I got the $1200 check last year but forget how long it took US-Thailand. I guess I'll give it a month till I officially panic.

Has anyone used Taxact to file a simple return for just the stimulus? I've been trying to contact them but there isn't an email listed on their site. It says email but when I click it I'm not setup that way, so I need their actual email address if anyone has it. I can't call them from my phone here. The free fillable forms doesn't open until February 12th so I'm trying Taxact.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Has anyone used Taxact to file a simple return for just the stimulus? I've been trying to contact them but there isn't an email listed on their site. It says email but when I click it I'm not setup that way, so I need their actual email address if anyone has it. I can't call them from my phone here. The free fillable forms doesn't open until February 12th so I'm trying Taxact.

The free fillable forms is already open, they will just hold and send in your return on Feb. 12th.

I did mine online from the IRS website last week.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

By the way, I used TurboTax and it was very easy and helpful.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

It says email but when I click it I'm not setup that way, so I need their actual email address if anyone has it.

Try right clicking on email and you should be able get the actual email address you can use with a web based a email service.

For example this one I just made up. Email  Just leave out the http and etc in my example.

4 hours ago, racyrick said:

The free fillable forms is already open, they will just hold and send in your return on Feb. 12th.

I did mine online from the IRS website last week.

Opens February 12, 2021            That's what I see, so I can't access them. I'm trying Taxact, and emailed them, but I got a general response. I need help with the filing, so I'm waiting on their reply from an actual person.

48 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Opens February 12, 2021            That's what I see, so I can't access them. I'm trying Taxact, and emailed them, but I got a general response. I need help with the filing, so I'm waiting on their reply from an actual person.

I think raycrick has confused the IRS free filing program with the free fillable forms option.  The latter option is not yet available.  The free filing options are working already but the IRS said they won't start processing until Feb 12.  I already did one set for a family member.  I used TaxSlayer because they accept expats and can process the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion option (FEIC).  However, the result showed a negative AGI (should be 0) after FEIC so I didn't submit until I get an answer back from their support.

Edited by gamb00ler
2 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I think raycrick has confused the IRS free filing program with the free fillable forms option.  The latter option is not yet available.  The free filing options are working already.  I already did one set for a family member.  I used TaxSlayer because they accept expats and can process the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion option (FEIC).  However, the result showed a negative AGI after FEIC so I didn't submit until I get an answer back from their support.

That's why I chose to try Taxact. I started filing married, filing alone, and it came back with an error, needing my wife's non existent social security number. I emailed them, asking if they could manually change it on their end, and got a general reply, talking about the stimulus, so I emailed them again, hoping for a human reply. My AGI is 0, as I haven't worked since 2016, and retired.

18 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I think raycrick has confused the IRS free filing program with the free fillable forms option.  The latter option is not yet available.  The free filing options are working already but the IRS said they won't start processing until Feb 12.  I already did one set for a family member.  I used TaxSlayer because they accept expats and can process the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion option (FEIC).  However, the result showed a negative AGI (should be 0) after FEIC so I didn't submit until I get an answer back from their support.

You are correct. I was talking about the free file program. Sorry about the confusion, my bad.

I've started filing for my stimulus for last and this year. The Tax preparer place, On Line Taxes, states that my bank should be US based. Bank of Bangkok has a branch in New York City, and that's where my DD first goes, then on to the branch here in Thailand. They think it should be okay, but I wanted to ask if anyone else had this issue. This is what she said.......It must be US based to accept the direct deposit, so it may be okay, but you might want to check the bank affiliation first, as we are not sure................................. Bank of Bangkok is Thailand based, but does have that branch there, where my money first goes.,so that sounds okay to me. I want to make sure before I sent the file to the IRS.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I've started filing for my stimulus for last and this year. The Tax preparer place, On Line Taxes, states that my bank should be US based. Bank of Bangkok has a branch in New York City, and that's where my DD first goes, then on to the branch here in Thailand. They think it should be okay, but I wanted to ask if anyone else had this issue.

I have received both stimulus payments into my direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank via their New York branch.

You just have to give the IRS their routing number for New York that is 026008691 and your bank account number.