Covid-19 Spraying Program in Pattaya

Kerryd

5 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Apparently all gates and front doors are virus free in Nongprue. Aunt tells me the Thesaban are spraying gates doors and playing their special Covid-19 sing along song. Got to keep that pocket money flowing.

While it is probably useless for the most part (especially considering the low number of infections around here) it may have far more value for it's appearance than it's substance.

For most people (local and foreign) - seeing that the authorities are out doing things (like the lock down, mandatory face masks, alcohol ban and the spraying) gives them some assurance that the situation is being controlled. 

If it was all "business as per normal", the people would be upset over the lack of response. There's an old saying that "something is better than nothing" and that is probably at least partly true here.

Personally I'd rather see them out doing stuff than being like Sweden has been, where they have only really banned gatherings of more than 50 people. 
As a result, they have one of the highest infection (and mortality) rates in the world from the virus and even their own people have started questioning if "doing nothing" is the right way to go.

1 minute ago, Kerryd said:

While it is probably useless for the most part (especially considering the low number of infections around here) it may have far more value for it's appearance than it's substance.

Yes its all about appearance and keeping the back pocket cash flowing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

As a result, they have one of the highest infection (and mortality) rates in the world

Stop making things up..... Sweden are about 20th in the list and slightly better than the much hailed South Korea. Their infection rate is slowing like many others somewhat higher up the list and imposing many restrictions.  Even on a per capita basis they are well down the infections list. If anything their approach is drawing the attention of those in full lock-down.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Stop making things up..... Sweden are about 20th in the list and slightly better than the much hailed South Korea. Their infection rate is slowing like many others somewhat higher up the list and imposing many restrictions.  Even on a per capita basis they are well down the infections list. If anything their approach is drawing the attention of those in full lock-down.

I just posted about this on Saturday.

Sweden jumped up to 14th overall for covid related deaths after they experience over 460 deaths in just - 3 - days.

In that post I also noted the positions of some other countries (such as the UK, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands and Australia) - https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1158765-pattayas-coronavirus-cock-up-chaos-on-first-day-of-lockdown-as-leaders-scurry-for-rethink/?do=findComment&comment=15282009

Here's a link showing the sudden spike in Sweden: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-deaths-covid-19?country=DNK+FIN+NOR+SWE

Another article: https://see.news/sweden-reports-worst-death-count-among-nordic-countries/

Here's an updated list from Wikipedia, showing Sweden still at #14 with 899 deaths so far (apparently the data was updated 10 minuted before I posted this).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic_data

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Just occurred to me. Guess where all that stuff they are spraying ends up ? First good rain we get and it's all heading straight for the ocean. (Admittedly it will be diluted by the time it gets there, but so is all the pesticides and herbicides that get washed out to sea every year around the world and reek havoc on the plankton and other wee critters in the ocean).

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Better late than never. Now, so long as no one on the soi goes anywhere or interacts with anyone, we should be fairly safe for the next few hours (or the next rain storm) ! 

I agree with both of you

and with the first big rain since months coming just now on Pattaya

(Big rain more than welcome in these times of drought)

we can already say to spread this stuff today was a great idea

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

Apparently all gates and front doors are virus free in Nongprue. Aunt tells me the Thesaban are spraying gates doors and playing their special Covid-19 sing along song. Got to keep that pocket money flowing.

They missed my village, thankfully as I'd be real <deleted> if they started spraying some random chemical on my house and car.

Moot point though as its pissing down rain now !!

• Like 1

That happen in our neighborhood two weeks ago, prior to that I read it is really doesn't do much not sure what is being used but the guys are wearing covering then spraying everything in sight? 

I was out like always sweeping the front of my house, the guy just walked by sprayed it all over my leg, sprayed it on the front of the house, where my water machine and washers were all located. I just stared and looked at them then pull the water house out and washed it all away. Then went about my regular routine of wiping everything down with my own formally of Vinegar and lemon juice.

I think this is all show but I guess something is better than nothing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Don Mega said:

They missed my village, thankfully as I'd be real <deleted> if they started spraying some random chemical on my house and car.

Moot point though as its pissing down rain now !!

They just came through... was on the dunny peeling one out when I could hear a loudspeaker and pump getting closer so snapped off to quickly get the front door and windows closed.... too late as a cloud mist came wafting through my front door.

22 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

The "pocket money" is about 99% of the reason for this spraying activity! As has been pointed out in this thread and others, spraying the roads is a complete waste of time and money! COVID-19 does NOT "rise up from the streets" to infect people. Furthermore, it is killed by direct sunlight; and it dies from simple exposure on hard surfaces. 

The operators of these spraying trucks are pulling in big bahts from this. Wouldn't it be interesting to know what relationship they have to certain political officials who are ordering this action?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

"Apparently all gates and front doors are virus free in Nongprue"

Really? Don't listen to aunt.