good bad ugly & future for thailand/pattaya

nomad2019

7 minutes ago, thainet said:

Yeah me too..but not a monger, so bars/gogo's open or close makes no difference to me. In a few months there will be some restaurants open, all the supermarkets, markets, essential every day services such as schools will be open, so as i said it doesn't really make any difference if your life is here.

forest. trees.

• Confused 3

When Thailand decides to have stores and services open again, it will probably still have restrictions on incoming tourists. As long as the virus isn't fully under control i can understand they would want some health certificate if you plan on coming here on vacation.

Tourism however will not go from zero to 100% in a day, it will slowly but surely pick up again. The centara group re-opens in September. You can see that as an indication that the Thai think that tourism will pick up again in the high season. 

Slowly but surely the normal state of affairs will take shape automatically within a year or so from starting to allow tourists back in. You don't actually have to -do- anything as a government, the whole machine will start up by each individual doing their thing again. 

In the beginning there will be an oversupply, prices will temporarily go down and attract more people, till we get back at what it was before. One nasty little virus with a death rate below 1% will not reshape the planet and/or Pattaya in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It will take time , but in the end all will be back , maybe with different names or different faces but it will be there .

Right now , all is closed and will be like that for some time to come . Even if Thailand reopens , which i expect in 1 month , the majority of people just can't come . It might be because their country doesn't let them or because uncertain economy/work or because Thailand demands tests  or ... . 1st people who do come back are not the families , they would stay closer to home . Single tourists are the 1st who are willing to go that extra step , thus creating demand for what Pattaya was popular for . If there is a demand , then there will be people providing it . Thai government might dream of it being a family resort but this is further away then it ever was .

IMHO Pattaya will be back in business maybe August , but will get busy again by New Year , but not the same like last year . Many business will fail , but they will be taken over when the time comes .

• Like 2

If you want a glimpse of what will happen to Pattaya, take a look at Sukhumvit in BKK since 2014. It is a chicken and egg problem. Customers will not arrive in volume until the entertainment returns. The entertainment is dead until there are customers to support the expenses. It is not going to be easy, and will require some faith and serious investments by the business owners to prime that pump.

• Like 1

We were due for a winnowing of bars and massage shops, etc. even before this hit. This will only accelerate that. So, I think it will start to come back by high season, but at about 20-30% of normal. The Chinese may come back but they contribute little to the traditional "Pattaya experience," I predict high season 2021 is the soonest we can expect relief and some resemblance of normal. But, getting back to true normal is years away. Pattaya will be a shadow of its former self for years to come. Until there is a vaccine and people's memories fade..... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zikomat said:

What if this crisis will put an end to Pattaya as the sex tourists’ main destination?

I have a feeling we will never see the old naughty Pattaya again. 

Forget Pattaya.

I'm looking forward to new naughty somewhere.

With the previous generation all out of business it'll be a level playing field.

A purpose built, multi resort area, accommodation/restaurants integrated, on a greenfield site, with no "family"/beach paradise pretensions,

A real, hardcore, City of Sensuality.

A "Hyper Nana".

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

Anyones guess is a good as your own. All depends when vaccine will be available. Tv news says 6-18 months.

My personal thoughts, within end of May, malls and general shops will be open again and lockdown will be history. Restaurants will slowly open with restrictions. Night curfew will continue for many months.

Entertainment areas will be closed for a long time. By the time nightlife are allowed to operate again, all the owners has cut their losses (before this summer). New owners will be difficult to attract until life (customers) are back to normal.

Lockdown and curfew is one thing. More important is when will international travel be allowed again, worldwide?

China already knocking on the door. Just read some travel limitations lifted.

But the rest of the world will be very careful to lift travel ban. I will be very surprised if any noticeable changes within 2020.

Realistically I think spring or summer 2021, before things are back to semi normal, and that is wishful thinking from a expat.

Wait for vaccine to be released, then add 3-6 months more to be back here.

There is always someone!! You can shove ya Vac where the sun don't shine & the chip that will come with it!! Do you know how many people they killed with the SARS trial? I bet not!!

• Like 1