Fujitsu Laptops.

WineOh

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I think I will have this machine for some years to come.

Is this the one you no longer have, or a replacement?

On 3/19/2020 at 11:24 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

i'm never comin back

im taking myself to a secluded island in the pacific, got rid of the phone and somone is coming to pickup my laptop this evening.

i'm goiin off the grid, cast away style.

But, no, you won't be needing that new or already-sold laptop (with SSD) in the future:

On 3/19/2020 at 11:24 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

minimal contact with people until the day i die,. the world is done, civilization will grind to a halt as you knw it.

Pretty much an academic discussion, then, anyway you look at it. Guess the point is to call attention to a shrewd buy.

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Is this the one you no longer have, or a replacement?

But, no, you won't be needing that new or already-sold laptop (with SSD) in the future:

Pretty much an academic discussion, then, anyway you look at it. Guess the point is to call attention to a shrewd buy.

Thanks for going through all my old posts!

My old laptop was damaged. I dropped it on the floor but the buyer didn;t mind as he was getting a good laptop for a good price.

As it looks like I wont be leaving anytime soon i've decided to buy a new one and yes so far it's impressed me greatly.

I gotta say be happy with the machine as is;

That design if the video is correct OMG!

I hate taking laptops apart apart from having the odd screw left over once its put back together ????

All those ribbon connectors and if the plastic has degraded and they are brittle so easy to bust those little buggers

Its a nice walk-through video but the guy that designed that needs putting up against a wall and sneezed on by a Covid 19 infected firing squad a bullet is to good for that guy.

Be happy with the £60 purchase wait for a blind drunk mate volunteering their services to install the SSD try not to laugh when you accept their kind offer.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop with an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and a decent webcam as I'll be doing a lot of video conferencing in the coming months. I was going to buy a new Acer or HP for about 15,000 baht but this thread got me thinking maybe I can pick up a bargain from Shopee. Is there anything particularly special about this Fujitsu lifebook when it come to refurbished laptops? I can't find what I'm looking for for less than 5000 baht so they don't seem that cheap. I was looking at this one:

https://shopee.co.th/product/45661604/2486932301?smtt=0.0.9

But this Toshiba from the same seller looks better:

https://shopee.co.th/product/45661604/7819843267?smtt=0.0.9

Edit: just noticed that Toshiba doesn't have a webcam. This one looks decent:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.YmAyp

Edited by edwardandtubs

10 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I'm looking to buy a new laptop with an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and a decent webcam as I'll be doing a lot of video conferencing in the coming months. I was going to buy a new Acer or HP for about 15,000 baht but this thread got me thinking maybe I can pick up a bargain from Shopee. Is there anything particularly special about this Fujitsu lifebook when it come to refurbished laptops? I can't find what I'm looking for for less than 5000 baht so they don't seem that cheap. I was looking at this one:

That last one you had @6.8k looks like a good value machine.

Has everything you were looking for too and a 3 month warranty so if any initial issue you are covered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Be careful with buying any laptop that makes it difficult to access the RAM and HDD. 

Firstly because any laptop's performance will improve significantly with the addition of an SSD and secondly, storage drives do fail and you will need to replace them.

The Fujitsu fails in that regard. Shame, as it seems a solidly built device.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Be careful with buying any laptop that makes it difficult to access the RAM and HDD. 

Firstly because any laptop's performance will improve significantly with the addition of an SSD and secondly, storage drives do fail and you will need to replace them.

The Fujitsu fails in that regard. Shame, as it seems a solidly built device.

blimey, you do love those SSD's dont you? ???? 
I've been usings PC' since 1989, starting with the Amiga 1000 and never in all that time has a Hard Drive failed on me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

blimey, you do love those SSD's dont you? ???? 
I've been usings PC' since 1989, starting with the Amiga 1000 and never in all that time has a Hard Drive failed on me.

HDD create a bottleneck in any modern laptop. If you could fit one to your current laptop, you would understand.

It's like putting tractor tyres on a Mini Cooper. HDD should only be used for large storage.

No modern laptop should be sold with old and slow mechanical HDD. 

But if you are a patient man and don't mind your laptop slowing down considerably over time, there is no need to take my advice.

It wasn't for you anyway, since you have already purchased. It's to avoid people making the same mistake. Why buy a laptop that is not upgradeable, unless it is really cheap.

Some people aren't keen on change. No shame in that.

• Like 1

I changed mine, easy to do (thankfully) and it now goes from power on to desktop in sub-18 seconds, previously about 2-3 minutes with large hdd. I am very pleased with the end result, it also seems to respond much faster in multi tasking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I changed mine, easy to do (thankfully) and it now goes from power on to desktop in sub-18 seconds, previously about 2-3 minutes with large hdd. I am very pleased with the end result, it also seems to respond much faster in multi tasking.

so is it worth changing over then, Charlie?

Sounds like it is? ????

13 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Sounds like it is? ????

For me it was, cost me 900 baht, and did it myself (thankfully) mine was straight forward and with youtube help was a breeze, but of course there is no one size fits all and each case should be assessed individually. In your case from what I have read here you would need to (or advisable to) pay someone to do it for you add to that the cost of whatever size hard drive you may need etc.

A suggestion I would make for you on that score, is to pay 99baht for an hard drive enclosure, and stick the HDD you take out in that and use as a portable storage device. Then you can have a lower, say 250gb SSD for around 1100 baht put in.

I would guess total cost for you around 1699 baht. (assuming 500 charge for doing it). 

so for around 40 quid you could modernize and to a degree future proof it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Sounds like it is? ????

Wow....talk about attack the messenger.

I just try to give the best technical advice possible. 

But now Charlie H says the same thing, now it's good advice. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Wow....talk about attack the messenger.

I just try to give the best technical advice possible. 

But now Charlie H says the same thing, now it's good advice. ????

I appreciate your advice too, Eindhoven ????

I will definitely give it some serious thought! 

21 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I appreciate your advice too, Eindhoven ????

I will definitely give it some serious thought! 

Just a shame that they made it so difficult to swap yours and that local techs can be a bit careless.

Their service centre is in Bangkok; https://www.fujitsu.com/th/en/about/resources/contact/contact-notebook.html 

Likely too far away from you.

Liverpoolfan, I've been using my 'Fudge it Sue'

for nearly 3 years, bought second hand from

ebay, only one tiny problem was I had stick a

new cooling fan in it, otherwise shes been

a goodun.  You were lucky to get one for 60!

Tell us where you nicked it...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 12:49 AM, talahtnut said:

Liverpoolfan, I've been using my 'Fudge it Sue'

for nearly 3 years, bought second hand from

ebay, only one tiny problem was I had stick a

new cooling fan in it, otherwise shes been

a goodun.  You were lucky to get one for 60!

Tell us where you nicked it...

It's been well over 10 years, had a Fujitsu laptop that worked ok for a year or so, then wouldn't boot.  Took a lot of tinkering, but eventually figured it out: I would use the thing before going to bed, and slept with the AC on.  The cool air was hitting it directly and the CPU was running hot, causing condensation inside the machine and prevented it from booting.  The solution was to open the thing up and let in sit in the blast zone of the AC until it dried out.  Great way to start the day.  Darn-est bug I ever had to deal with.

Eventually the USB bus fried itself, and there it went.  Sold it for parts to one of those guys with the tinkering shops in the back of the upper floors of old Panthip Plaza, think I got all of 300b for it.

• 2 weeks later...