Thailand reports 30 new coronavirus cases, two new deaths

webfact

Thailand reports 30 new coronavirus cases, two new deaths

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 30 new coronavirus cases and 2 deaths on Wednesday.

Of the new cases, 19 patients were linked to previous cases, and three had no links to old cases, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration.

One of those infected was in state quarantine, and the cases of seven people who tested positive were being investigated.

Since the outbreak escalated in January, Thailand has reported a total of 2,643 cases and 43 fatalities, while 1,497 patients have recovered and gone home.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-15

Thailand reports 30 new Covid-19 cases

By The Nation

800_a3300c44d30a4eb.png?v=1586926637

Thailand’s total number of Covid-19 patients rose to 2,643 with 30 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, and two more deaths, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Wednesday (April 15). 

This compares with 54 new cases last Thursday, 50 on Friday, 45 on Saturday, 33 on Sunday, 28 on Monday and 34 on Tuesday. Total fatalities are 43.

He said the situation is still a cause for concern although the number is on the downward trend. "We must not let our guard down," he insisted.

Of the total, 1,497 patients have fully recovered and returned to their homes while 1,103 are under medical treatment.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386034

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-15

It all seems to be going swimmingly. There's still two weeks until D-Day (or should that be R-Day, lol) on 1st May when some are saying that certain restrictions might start to be lifted. Two weeks is plenty of time to get the new cases down into the teens, or even into single figures. And then, starting in early May, Thailand can very slowly try to return to some semblance of normality, though it seems that bars are likely to remain a casualty of the virus for a while yet.

One concern is the report that Thailand is running short of favipiravir and having difficulty sourcing more because so many (richer) countries now want to buy it. I really hope they can get plenty more off their Chinese friends, or the death toll here may start looking scarier than it does at the moment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

In Bangkok Post today, Siriraj is deferring other patients treatment due to corona patients.

And nobody had that in their infallible social media radar while questioning where are all the infected?

Makes me question just how many sources those folks have in their rumour network.

As a precaution or out of necessity? Big difference of course.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Doesn't really matter. The point is the intelligence network of the resident ex MI6 & CIA & KGB members seems not to have a deep throat in MoPH. So the point "I haven't heard" becomes moot.

• Like 1

Low numbers again, continuing the downward trend if they are to be believed. If so great but test numbers need to be increased 5 or 10 fold to paint a true picture. Second wave incoming? Thailand needs to learn from other nations experiences.

Singapore which was lauded for its response is now going through a second wave far more serious than the first, the main sources of this second wave are migrant workers in dormitories and construction sites, akin to the situation we have in Thailand with the Burmese camps and construction sites still going on. Its just a matter of time before an outbreak occurs within these settings and then this could tip the virus here in Thailand to comparable numbers as those in Europe.

The Thai Health service is NOT prepared for large numbers of serious patients. Thailand currently has 10,184 ventilator units nationwide but only 2,855 are available. (Figures from WHO Thailand yesterday)

I'm afraid if the virus takes a hold in Thailand then there is no doubt that this is the last place you want to be.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Doesn't really matter. The point is the intelligence network of the resident ex MI6 & CIA & KGB members seems not to have a deep throat in MoPH. So the point "I haven't heard" becomes moot.

Does matter and either shows they are or are not over run with covid patients !  An Australian pal had elective surgery planned for Feb this year, it was cancelled as a precaution, not because of being over run with covid.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Olmate said:

As stated in the article, this hospital is packed everyday - they are trying to reduce the risk of transmission from covid patients (some of whom may be pre- or asymptomatic). Their emergency section is packed with maybe 95% of patients over 65 year old. That was my observation over the many visits I made there last year. 

6 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

the dead taxi driver? did i miss the results or not yet given?

At the back of the undisclosed diagnosis backlog. Remember the student a couple of months ago? I'm still waiting for those results to come in.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Always find this quite revealing

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I am unable to find their source for "Total tests". Anybody else? 

To their credit, they use Thaienquirer as a source, the link in their news section points to this: https://www.thaienquirer.com/11496/thailand-discovers-30-new-coronavirus-infections-extends-airspace-shut-down-until-the-end-of-april/

Edited by DrTuner

50 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Low numbers again, continuing the downward trend if they are to be believed. If so great but test numbers need to be increased 5 or 10 fold to paint a true picture. Second wave incoming? Thailand needs to learn from other nations experiences.

Singapore which was lauded for its response is now going through a second wave far more serious than the first, the main sources of this second wave are migrant workers in dormitories and construction sites, akin to the situation we have in Thailand with the Burmese camps and construction sites still going on. Its just a matter of time before an outbreak occurs within these settings and then this could tip the virus here in Thailand to comparable numbers as those in Europe.

The Thai Health service is NOT prepared for large numbers of serious patients. Thailand currently has 10,184 ventilator units nationwide but only 2,855 are available. (Figures from WHO Thailand yesterday)

I'm afraid if the virus takes a hold in Thailand then there is no doubt that this is the last place you want to be.

Agree with some of your comments although I think (hope) Thailand has dodged the bullet for various reasons including herd immunity already being played out and we wont see a huge spike in numbers 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Right. As (you already know that) I have written several times before on here: Hospitals sometimes have an increase in capacity/business by 10-20% and we only know about when someone chooses to talk publicly about it. Again...

There. Is. Simply. No. Magical. Social. Media. Mechanism. To. Make. Sure. TV Posters. Stay. Aware. Of. Increases. In. Thai. Hospital. Business. 

So, I saw that story and thought the same thing. We have a hospital that defers some patients and increases beds and (while they don't talk specific numbers) give the impression that this increase was for them to be able to handle 10%+ seriously ill patients. 

Again...

If home deaths and hospital deaths in Thailand have been up an average of 10% for the past three months, that would be 15k+ additional deaths...without us knowing about it. 

Cue those who trust the numbers we're getting and can't believe that any hospital located in the same country they reside in could have a durable 10% bump in business without them know it...

I,m guessing those 15000 extra dead have no family or friend or neighbours or temples then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

the dead taxi driver? did i miss the results or not yet given?

The Nation is nice enough to update. Too boring, no Covid.

It's amazing how people still believe that a person falls to death out of a sudden from Covid.

Check the Bangkok Post.

Links are not allowed here.

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

I,m guessing those 15000 extra dead have no family or friend or neighbours or temples then!

It's possible that those family members, friends, and monks haven't thought to post on TV about any of the deaths, yet.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Remember the student a couple of months ago? I'm still waiting for those results to come in.

A "couple of months". Could you give a pointer.

My memory does not serve me news from months ago.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

My own condo building has turned into one of the construction sites you described with work crews remodeling the unit directly above mine. The idiots who manage my building have ordered a prohibition on food and grocery delivery drivers entering the building, but these construction workers come and go as they please. I keep searching for a number I can call to report these clowns, but I’ve come up empty so far.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sharp said:

Agree with some of your comments although I think (hope) Thailand has dodged the bullet for various reasons including herd immunity already being played out and we wont see a huge spike in numbers 

I think you should read up on herd immunity in relation to corona viruses. UK started on that course and backtracked. How's it going there? Sweden. Basically ignored it which is the underlying principle of herd immunity and how's things going there. Both have had huge spikes.

36 minutes ago, Sharp said:

I do doubt there is any herd immunity developed here in Thailand.  Here's an example, if you did that in the US. You would need 200 million people to get infected to get a 70% immune. With a fatality rate of say 4% that equates to 9 million deaths. One of the reasons that the UK decided against herd immunity and changed course too late.

• Like 2