COVID 19 Opinion Poll/Survey

Skeptic7

COVID 19   

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You need to specify: are you asking about in Thailand, or where? There cannot be a single answer globally since there is so much variation among countries in response.

Well, while the virus numbers are very different in different countries, i think it's fair to say that the economy is heavily damaged everywhere.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

In Australia, we were told a month ago that the extreme lockdown was necessary to flatten the curve, so that we wouldn’t run out of ICU beds and ventilators. The curve has now been squashed rather than flattened, with very few deaths and new cases, and few ICU beds occupied, but we’re now told that the lockdown must continue for at least another month, and probably much longer. The Government now seems to be determined to keep the extreme lockdown until there are no new infections at all. Presumably Australia will then be isolated from the rest of the world for the next few years, or until an unlikely miracle vaccine is found.

few yrs? dont think so

bars shpuld open in 2 months but morrison is brainless

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So the outcome so far is 50/50.  

65 say BS/Too Far

62 say OK/Not Enough

But I am of the opinion that the 10 who voted Not Enough are just 'having a go'.

People locked in house and not allowed to travel and tested entering shops and distance minimums - that is not enough?

Or perhaps they mean that too many people are not complying with the rules.

Or are they saying open internment/correction camps and lock them all away?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AussieBob18 said:

65 say BS/Too Far

62 say OK/Not Enough

But I am of the opinion that the 10 who voted Not Enough are just 'having a go'.

People locked in house and not allowed to travel and tested entering shops and distance minimums - that is not enough?

yep so boring already

open up in may

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It's a global economy. Even with no measures related to the virus in effect, a country will still be effected by what has happened elsewhere.

And contrary to what some seem to think, the world's economy would not be humming along as usual if no measures were being taken to try to slow the spread of the virus.

There isn't a "good" option here. Just a number of bad ones to varying degrees.

Yes a rational and intelligently nuanced interpretation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It's a global economy. Even with no measures related to the virus in effect, a country will still be effected by what has happened elsewhere.

And contrary to what some seem to think, the world's economy would not be humming along as usual if no measures were being taken to try to slow the spread of the virus.

There isn't a "good" option here. Just a number of bad ones to varying degrees.

Very well worded, but i disagree.

Probably the victims of the virus would be about the same if nothing had been done, but for a long time we will count the victims of the lock down, imho.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

65 say BS/Too Far

62 say OK/Not Enough

There is more to combating this virus than social distancing. IMO not enough is being done on other fronts, and on the enforcement of existing measures. 

I am stuck in the US, went to walmart yesterday to get a couple of things .more that  Half of the people there did not have any masks on, or any other protective measures. My wife went in while I waited in the car, and I watched people going in, 

Mother, Father and a small child in tow, none of them with face masks. Driving by fast-food places with lines a block long at the drive thru, Incredible!!  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

There is more to combating this virus than social distancing. IMO not enough is being done on other fronts, and on the enforcement of existing measures. 

I am stuck in the US, went to walmart yesterday to get a couple of things .more that  Half of the people there did not have any masks on, or any other protective measures. My wife went in while I waited in the car, and I watched people going in, 

Mother, Father and a small child in tow, none of them with face masks. Driving by fast-food places with lines a block long at the drive thru, Incredible!!  

masks are useless unless standing next to people

2 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

masks are useless unless standing next to people

not useless for them spraying their germs on other people . Or other people spraying their germs on them and theirs. 

Aerosol from someone's mouth can stay in the air for 30 minutes , If you are waiting on line six feet behind a person, but the person in front of you is not wearing a mask and is spraying his infected breath in the area he is standing, what do you think would happen when the line moves forward and you go stand in that area? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Considerably more of them would be dead, a rather significant difference.

So would a lot of other people, from other causes, due to complete  collapse of the health care system.

I respect your medical knowledge, and the politeness of your response, but let's agree to disagree.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

not useless for them spraying their germs on other people . Or other people spraying their germs on them and theirs. 

Aerosol from someone's mouth can stay in the air for 30 minutes , If you are waiting on line six feet behind a person, but the person in front of you is not wearing a mask and is spraying his infected breath in the area he is standing, what do you think would happen when the line moves forward and you go stand in that area? 

Your theory would mean 80% would have it already. Clearly they dont. Nonsense theory.

Top doctor has said masks are useless unless in crowded spots.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Considerably more of them would be dead, a rather significant difference.

So would a lot of other people, from other causes, due to complete  collapse of the health care system.

Depends on country. Not in Thailand or some others. The virus only a big deal in 5 or 6 countries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I had an echocardiogram and a stress test scheduled a couple of weeks ago . Canceled until further notice. I have  black mole on my back that I would like looked  at by a dermatologist. Not going to happen any time soon. I wonder how many people will die .simply from fear of going to a hospital for things that in the past they would have gone without another thought. 

Worldwide thousands.

Just now, sirineou said:

I had an echocardiogram and a stress test scheduled a couple of weeks ago . Canceled until further notice. I have  black mole on my back that I would like looked  at by a dermatologist. Not going to happen any time soon. I wonder how many people will die .simply from fear of going to a hospital for things that in the past they would have gone without another thought. 

Or from surgeries/diagnostic procedures being postponed.

Deaths at home have increased 10 fold in New York since this began. Some -- perhaps most - of this increase is people dying of COVID at home but not all of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Your theory would mean 80% would have it already. Clearly they dont. Nonsense theory.

Top doctor has said masks are useless unless in crowded spots.

I would consider walmart  or a cue a crowned place. wouldn't you? 

but even if there were three people in line, You have not answered my waiting in line without a mask  question. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

My guess is that the large majority of the ones who are in favour of a prolonged lock down are retirees, or people who can afford to live without having to go out to work.

I am confident that they would quickly change opinion if/when surrounded by a hungry, angry mob.

I agree - and living in a village with their Thai family - easy peasy.

Hope they have good locks on their house if/when the villagers run out of food/money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

I agree - and living in a village with their Thai family - easy peasy.

Hope they have good locks on their house if/when the villagers run out of food/money.

Unfortunately the livelihoods of many millions will have a long way for recovery even after the virus has been defeated.

I hope i am wrong, of course.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am back in the French alps, yes one of the lucky ones great social system, but still waiting to get back to my girlfriend. France is in lockdown till may 11th and after that I am sure till end of May. The fact is without the vaccine we will never be safe in out own countries or in Thailand. Wait till the second wave hits. 

Edited by Dazauz
  • Haha 1