Thai Airways cancels international flights until 1st July

soi3eddie

I just received an email from THAI Airways cancelling my flight from Bangkok to London for 2nd June. I called reservations (got through immediately to a helpful rep) and they told me that "right now" there is nothing scheduled to London, Sydney, Paris, Melbourne, Frankfurt, Copenhagen until 1st July 2020! Therefore I am now re-booked and "confirmed" to London on 1st July which is the earliest operating flight. She also said some routes (unspecified) will not be operating again until 27th October.

image.png.a705c9aeab2ddac721a22120f39fc136.png

Thai Airways cancelled my flight from Mumbai to BKK on May 22 and they refuse my request for a refund.  They offer to reschedule that flight or provide a voucher good for a year.  Where else can you pay for something, not get it, and be denied a refund?  It would be called theft or extortion. I know they are in dire straits but this is not a policy to breed loyalty.  And IATA declines to regulate this.  Caveat emptor (with the caveat that you're not even the emptor).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

Thai Airways cancelled my flight from Mumbai to BKK on May 22 and they refuse my request for a refund.  They offer to reschedule that flight or provide a voucher good for a year.  Where else can you pay for something, not get it, and be denied a refund?  It would be called theft or extortion. I know they are in dire straits but this is not a policy to breed loyalty.  And IATA declines to regulate this.  Caveat emptor (with the caveat that you're not even the emptor).

Contact your credit card company and request a chargeback as the airline is not going to provide the service you paid for.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

Im booked with Thai, to fly from Heathrow on September 15....

All Ive received was an e-mail off them, saying the outward flight had been changed from an A380 to a 777?!

I booked through Thais website....i dont know if this will make it easier to get a refund in the end?!

"Luckily"! I was going to book business class (to  celebrate my retirement this June.........that isnt going to happen now though!).

So if the worst comes to the worst, at least I wont lose as much money!  ( I mean if I HAD! gone ahead and paid for business class!)....Wether the refund is in the form of my money back or a "voucher" remains to be seen!  

10 hours ago, welshguy said:

All Ive received was an e-mail off them, saying the outward flight had been changed from an A380 to a 777?!

I booked through Thais website....i dont know if this will make it easier to get a refund in the end?!

"Luckily"! I was going to book business class (to  celebrate my retirement this June.........that isnt going to happen now though!).

So if the worst comes to the worst, at least I wont lose as much money!  ( I mean if I HAD! gone ahead and paid for business class!)....Wether the refund is in the form of my money back or a "voucher" remains to be seen!  

When you book direct with THAI on their website they give you choices of fares and benefits such as; changes, refunds and mileage accrual. Needless to say, the cheapest tickets in any class have the least flexibility and incur more fees if changed/cancelled by you. Look at your fare class to see the terms and conditions of your ticket. I always buy a Fully Flexible as I often need to change flights and there's never a charge.  

I sincerely hope that THAI are flying again by September however if THAI cancels your flight you are entitled to a full refund (if they offer a voucher it's up to you whether or not to accept that or ask for a refund).

THAI often change plane types depending on load factors. I suspect that they are holding very few bookings going forward so probably assume that the smaller plane will be suitable. The A380 is a much nicer plane than the 777 and especially so upstairs in business class.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, welshguy said:

If you fly there business class say hi to my wifes nephew (he is laid off at the moment) he is a steward in business class.???? flies that route .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

When you book direct with THAI on their website they give you choices of fares and benefits such as; changes, refunds and mileage accrual. Needless to say, the cheapest tickets in any class have the least flexibility and incur more fees if changed/cancelled by you. Look at your fare class to see the terms and conditions of your ticket. I always buy a Fully Flexible as I often need to change flights and there's never a charge.  

I sincerely hope that THAI are flying again by September however if THAI cancels your flight you are entitled to a full refund (if they offer a voucher it's up to you whether or not to accept that or ask for a refund).

THAI often change plane types depending on load factors. I suspect that they are holding very few bookings going forward so probably assume that the smaller plane will be suitable. The A380 is a much nicer plane than the 777 and especially so upstairs in business class.

Thanks for that.

T.B.H. . Im not sure what "rules" affect the class of ticket...I bought the one where you can have 75% mileage miles...if you know what I mean!  I will check it out later....just got back from work.

Id love to think I could get out there for this September...doubt it very much though!  If possible I would rather a refund as opposed to a voucher...a voucher wouldnt be the end of the world though...as Im planning (god knows when!! lol!) to go twice a year for 3 month stretches....so will have to wait and see.

I just remembered"! I also used some miles (from R.O.P. ) to go towards the flight......Saying thta...with all thats gone on WHEN!! I do eventually get there next time...I may well think <deleted> it and treat myself to go business class........just the once!

Again, thanks for the reply.

13 minutes ago, welshguy said:

Thanks for that.

T.B.H. . Im not sure what "rules" affect the class of ticket...I bought the one where you can have 75% mileage miles...if you know what I mean!  I will check it out later....just got back from work.

Id love to think I could get out there for this September...doubt it very much though!  If possible I would rather a refund as opposed to a voucher...a voucher wouldnt be the end of the world though...as Im planning (god knows when!! lol!) to go twice a year for 3 month stretches....so will have to wait and see.

I just remembered"! I also used some miles (from R.O.P. ) to go towards the flight......Saying thta...with all thats gone on WHEN!! I do eventually get there next time...I may well think <deleted> it and treat myself to go business class........just the once!

Again, thanks for the reply.

Do a new booking search on Thai website and it will show you the options and fare classes with rules about changes and refunds. Look at your confirmed booking and it will have something like "K" Class written somewhere in fare basis or similar. Always best to do a date change rather than refund if you have future travel in mind. IF Thai cancel on you then you are due a full refund of any cash you paid and any miles used will be re-credited to your ROP account. Using miles to upgrade is less easy than before since they changed the redemption rates in October 2019. I fly Thai R/T 3-5 times per year LHR/BKK and find the experience with them far better than EVA or BA (or QR or EY for indirect).

image.png.454a893c61c9e81e25d648a3b487dc76.png

On 4/20/2020 at 10:49 PM, welshguy said:

Stay in the village , safer .

Diolch yn fawr ..

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 3:25 PM, habuspasha said:

Just hope they,'re still around in july.

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Do a new booking search on Thai website and it will show you the options and fare classes with rules about changes and refunds. Look at your confirmed booking and it will have something like "K" Class written somewhere in fare basis or similar. Always best to do a date change rather than refund if you have future travel in mind. IF Thai cancel on you then you are due a full refund of any cash you paid and any miles used will be re-credited to your ROP account. Using miles to upgrade is less easy than before since they changed the redemption rates in October 2019. I fly Thai R/T 3-5 times per year LHR/BKK and find the experience with them far better than EVA or BA (or QR or EY for indirect).

image.png.454a893c61c9e81e25d648a3b487dc76.png

Just checked my ticket...Im a K class ticket.

If or when! Thai cancel the flight, I may well just , "keep the ticket", for a later date, I plan on going twice a year...Last time I looked on Thais website, I think they were giving a year or more, in which to use the ticket/voucher for cancelled flights..........So I will have plenty of opportunitis to use it!

Just looking forward to getting back there again.........soon!

1 hour ago, welshguy said:

If or when! Thai cancel the flight, I may well just , "keep the ticket", for a later date ...

My only concern with a voucher for use at a later date is that you're not necessarily going to get the same value versus your original booking.  I'm not entirely sure how a voucher works, though.  Is it a straight swap for a seat in the same class at a later date or is it the value of the original booking but you're left to the mercy of market forces to determine the price of the same seat for your next flight?  I don't know.

What I do know is that times change and you could break your leg in twenty places next week and be incapacitated for the next two years or the airline goes bust in the interim.  Sounds extreme but anything can happen and none of us anticipated this drawn-out lockdown two months ago. Cash is most definitely king.  

The default position of the airlines right now is to refuse cash refunds and offer vouchers once your flight is cancelled.  You can't blame them as they've almost zero cashflow at present.  They're banking on you to give up quickly and quietly and accept the voucher.  But persistence invariably pays off so don't be cowed.  You can either chip away at the airline or request a chargeback from your credit card provider.  My travel insurance policy is the last resort and prefer not to call on it unless there's no other avenue left to explore.  

Edited by torturedsole
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 9:25 PM, habuspasha said:

Where else can you pay for something, not get it, and be denied a refund? 

Plenty of places... Expedia and many booking agents and airlines. Just don't commit any money again, or use a credit card which will  ensure you will get a refund. 

5 hours ago, torturedsole said:

My only concern with a voucher for use at a later date is that you're not necessarily going to get the same value versus your original booking.  I'm not entirely sure how a voucher works, though.  Is it a straight swap for a seat in the same class at a later date or is it the value of the original booking but you're left to the mercy of market forces to determine the price of the same seat for your next flight?  I don't know.

What I do know is that times change and you could break your leg in twenty places next week and be incapacitated for the next two years or the airline goes bust in the interim.  Sounds extreme but anything can happen and none of us anticipated this drawn-out lockdown two months ago. Cash is most definitely king.  

The default position of the airlines right now is to refuse cash refunds and offer vouchers once your flight is cancelled.  You can't blame them as they've almost zero cashflow at present.  They're banking on you to give up quickly and quietly and accept the voucher.  But persistence invariably pays off so don't be cowed.  You can either chip away at the airline or request a chargeback from your credit card provider.  My travel insurance policy is the last resort and prefer not to call on it unless there's no other avenue left to explore.  

British Airways stated that the flight can be exchanged but the traveller would have to pay any difference between the cost of the original and the new flight.  Having said that, having cancelled my flight twice, they (through my agent) presently have me rebooked on a flight through another airline at the end of the month. We'll see if it goes ahead.

• Like 2

As already mentioned a voucher valued 500e and the new flight costing 700e your instantly down 200e and there is never any logic to their pricing.

I have been rebooked on the 1 of July but my problem is do you have to serve 14 days isolation in 500B hotel in Bangkok .

Guy's, I work for Delta, and to be honest all airlines are in total meltdown.

I'm sending out planes with anywhere between 0-10 passengers.

Flights get cancelled within hours of departure time.

TG along with everyone has no idea when this nightmare will end, and everyone is struggling with the issue of refunds or travel vouchers.

This is one of those times when we all need to basically just suck it up, hope for the best, plan for the worst

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, torturedsole said:

I have feedback to my original post.

We were booked to travel to LOS on SWISS later this month but that's obviously impossible now that the Thai government has extended the ban on foreigners arriving until 31/5.  

Our hotel arrangements have been cancelled without loss but did require to address the international flight booking.  

I phoned SWISS this afternoon and moved the booking out until late November 2020.  Fare difference was £150 so settled it and we can move on.  

I'm still covered by my credit card and travel insurance if anything untoward happens between now and then.  I'm happy with this outcome.