VIDEO: Police chief warns Thais not to flee scene of accidents after officer survives hit and run

webfact

2 hours ago, johng said:

But he didn't survive a hit and run..he deliberately jumped on the car and held on for  2 kilometres as the driver tried to escape.the officer couldn't give a description of the driver as the window tint was too dark to see inside even from just a few inches away from the wind shield !!!  :crazy:????

Surprised he didn't pull his gun and shoot through the window.

• Like 1

I've seen trffic backed up for kilometers, waiting on the insurance guy, diagraming the incident, with little more than a bumper scratch. Yet, accidents with injuries trigger the flight reaction! 

Edited by Curt1591

"General Chakthip had encouraged his officers in doing their duty. The chief urged Thais to get out of their cars after accidents and scrapes and sort out problems in the proper manner"

If the General / Gov enforces the rules for Hi-So Thai's then other Thai's might think to adhere to the laws.  Case in point is Red Bull heir who actually killed someone (a Police Officer) and fled the country to escape punishment.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

I'm happy I am not the driver. Imagine the manhunt, and the following Treatment

Oh yeah; 2,000 Baht fine and slap on the wrist instead of five years in the slammer that he/she should get.  All the while they use powder puff means to deter people it will always happen !

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

Why I don't see a video in either the OP or the source article?

It's immediately at the end of the article text, before the first post.

Have you got an ad blocker/video blocker that's stopping it appearing?

3 hours ago, johng said:

But he didn't survive a hit and run..he deliberately jumped on the car and held on for  2 kilometres as the driver tried to escape.the officer couldn't give a description of the driver as the window tint was too dark to see inside even from just a few inches away from the wind shield !!!  :crazy:????

Did the cop not have a gun?? I'd have emptied the clip in the driver's side that would have stopped him... Right ????

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief of the Royal Thai Police has told Thais to stop fleeing the scene of accidents.

and to stop using the "brake failure" excuse

and to stop hiding at their Mom's house

Thais then told the RTP Chief to stop making life for criminals so easy

and to stop inviting the criminals to the station once it was convenient for them

and to stop being an example for the world on how not to enforce the law

then again, looking at the above, I think they are all just perfect for each other...

5 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

He has warned of jail terms and fines if they continue to do so. 

Does it mean, that currently in Thailand I can flee the scene and not face additional charges/problems? Is there any particular law dealing with it?

I think so that's why it's so popular

More footage of the incident. Seems strange no one got the number plate. There was even someone following it with a mobile phone camera. Maybe some sort of deal has been done already.

https://th-th.facebook.com/RDNewsCH3/videos/251825769345588/

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Fleeing the scene could result in a prison term of three months and/or a fine of between 2,000 to 10,000 baht.

Hmm, potential time in prison for hitting someone or do a runner and live to fight another day with a flimsy excuse ? hard choice

There may be a slight problem if the police need to politely request the folk who hit others with their vehicles should stop and render assistance or at the very least, repost the victim may require medical aid.

The solution is simple - Change the Law so that leaving the scene of an accident where someone may be injured is a criminal offense.

At the moment people only have to present themselves at a Police Station within 24 hrs - IMO this enables drink driving and allows for 'escaping' the scene of an accident to be the norm.

In this case, all Thailand needs to do is copy the law from the numerous countries who've got this right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johng said:

He jumped on the hood to avoid getting hit as the driver decided to leave, in his position no choice. Dedicated man 

• Like 1