Sunlight, heat and humidity weaken coronavirus, U.S. official says

webfact

Sunlight, heat and humidity weaken coronavirus, U.S. official says

2020-04-23T232326Z_1_LYNXNPEG3M2QP_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the daily coronavirus task force briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., April 23, 2020. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The coronavirus appears to weaken more quickly when exposed to sunlight, heat and humidity, a U.S. official said on Thursday in a potential sign that the pandemic could become less contagious in summer months.

U.S. government researchers have determined that the virus survives best indoors and in dry conditions, and loses potency when temperatures and humidity rise - and especially when it is exposed to sunlight, said William Bryan, acting head of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Science and Technology Directorate.

"The virus dies quickest in the presence of direct sunlight," he told a White House news briefing.

The findings could bolster hopes that the coronavirus will mimic the behavior of other respiratory diseases like influenza, which typically are less contagious in warm weather.

But the coronavirus has also proven lethal in warm-weather places like Singapore, raising broader questions about the impact of environmental factors.

President Donald Trump said the findings should be interpreted cautiously. "I hope people enjoy the sun and if it has an impact, that's great," he said.

On nonporous surfaces like stainless steel, the virus takes 18 hours to lose half its strength in a dark, low-humidity environment, Bryan said.

In a high-humidity environment, that half-life dropped to six hours, and when the virus was exposed to high humidity and sunlight, the half-life dropped to two minutes, he said.

Researchers found a similar effect with the coronavirus that was suspended in the air - simulating the coughing or sneezing that often spreads the disease. In a dark room, the virus maintained half its strength for an hour. But when exposed to sunlight, it lost half its strength in 90 seconds, Bryan said.

(Reporting by Andy Sullivan; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-24

• Haha 1

Well there are many states that are about to put it to the test for those too scared to guy outside. It's sort of like a zombie movie where the brave go out to look for an escape and the weak stay inside and wait. 

Those that shelter had better pray to God that those that go back to it prevail. Because if things don't work out well in the rural places it is going to be a grim omen for the cities.

• Like 2

I have seen Dr Berg on Youtube videos many times stating that vitamin D which is predominantly sourced from the sun, helps to build the immune system up, that said, I see a lot of dark Thai's here, could these guys have such good immune systems that the virus doesn't affect them or make them asymptomatic to it ?

There is no real scientific evidence at the moment to state that the virus is less susceptible to warmer and humid conditions that I have read, but it is an interesting discussion and could well provide some light on the low numbers here in Thailand ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This maybe one of the reasons Thailand has done so well currently, however with the rainy season coming upon us and lack of sun I wonder if that will have an impact?

I think cases will start to increase during the rainy season. It only makes sense since other respiratory conditions like the flu come on in this time. The answer IMO is to not use air conditioning, but use a fan, and leave windows open. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’m absolutely dumbfounded that trump would actually suggest such a thing that’s astonishing my god how many dummies are going to get killed by his mouth that’s just beyond words holy cow!!

I'm dumbfounded that you are dumbfounded that trump would suggest such a thing, since he hasn't don't anything else ever.

I watched that video, and I wondered actually if he has a copyright on the word "tremendous" , because I have never heard it used so often as in the past 4 years

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

said William Bryan, acting head of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Science and Technology Directorate.

Wow!  with a title like that you can be sure he knows what he's talking about.

(I would put a laughing icon here but all this is just too sick to laugh about)

55 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Thailand actually doesn't have that much sun and when it does it is filtered. If this is true then a place like Arizona is a good place to watch. Crystal blue skies like you would never see in the tropics. Even places like the prairies where you can still get sunburn on a cool day.

This is extremely unlikely to be true. Thais go to a great deal of effort to stay pale if they must got out into the sunlight. When I forget to wear a hat and go out here, sunburn is the inevitable result.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Wow!  with a title like that you can be sure he knows what he's talking about.

(I would put a laughing icon here but all this is just too sick to laugh about)

True-that, quoting a "U.S. official" during an infectious disease outbreak is ridiculous

1 hour ago, frenetic said:

Seems dubious. Ecuador is suffering terribly from the pandemic including its port city.

Yeah but Ecuador is different it has lots of heat and humidity and deaths.Plus they don't have a Thai "Government" reporting dodgy numbers!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The coronavirus appears to weaken more quickly when exposed to sunlight, heat and humidity, a U.S. official said on Thursday

Great that the US finally is aware about something that´s been common news for 2-3 month. That´s what I call a revelation!

Sunlight is absorbed by the skin as vit D3, which transforms into a hormone in the body and circulates in the bloodstream to help in the absorption of calcium and phosphorous. Calcium builds and strengthens teeth and bone mass and is vital for bone development and growth. This is perhaps one of the most vital functions that Vitamin D3 performs. 

Almost 99% of your Vitamin D supply is used for regulating the calcium in the body; the remaining part is utilised for strengthening the immune system and maintaining muscle strength.

High levels of Vit D3, Zinc and Vit C enable the immune system to defeat the Coronavirus.