Thinking about buying this used car Mercedes Benz C200

NCC1701A

59 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Benz is expensive and complex to repair. So many look for a good non franchised mechanic as a Benz dealer will rip you off.

Oh really? I had a Mercedes ML until very recently in the Caribbean. And on the very rare occasions when it needed repair I'd take it to a Jamaican guy who could barely speak or say his own name. Just like all his mechanics. 

But they had no problems at all to fix my Mercedes. (Which, again, hardly ever needed repairs).

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps I should inject a little reality from someone who really knows his stuff, in preference to the propagandist harking back to Goebbels:

Hahahahaha, an Australian car expert....

Come on, you don't get me trying to explain Kangaroos, do you?

Quit that.

Lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You're just a Cheap Charlie trying to rationalise why you would buy one of the tin rice bowls from Korea or Japan.

Yah, transmission was an issue in the earlier models, stuck electric windows, please, you said that the engine was faulty. That's very unlikely with that particular engine, provided it was post 1988.

I would never buy BMW, everyone knows Mercedes is the best car in the world, except for possibly Porsche.

The Mitsubishi Magna AWD I bought in Australia in 2004 is still going. It was about one-third the cost of its Mercedes counterpart. Best car I have ever owned.

There is a difference between being a Cheap Charlie, and not being stupid with my money about vehicles with a fading cachet. Refer post #89.

According to the chassis code, the craptacular vehicle was 1989 or 1990.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Mitsubishi Magna AWD I bought in Australia in 2004 is still going. It was about one-third the cost of its Mercedes counterpart. Best car I have ever owned.

There is a difference between being a Cheap Charlie, and not being stupid with my money about vehicles with a fading cachet. Refer post #89.

According to the chassis code, the craptacular vehicle was 1989 or 1990.

Yes, also one third of the driving pleasure of a Mercedes, one fifth of the joy of owning a car.

Every time I sat in that Mercedes ML I felt like I was sitting in one of the world's best cars, priceless.

Not even the Touareg, the Saab, the Renault and definitely not the Lexus could match that joy.

By the way, do you know how we test reliability in Germany? Not on an annual basis like in the US and UK. We send cars on the road for several YEARS. And they are tested in detail how they perform.

On the longest running test, going back to 2014, the data says the following:

Most reliable car: Audi A3

2nd - VW Tiguan and Audi A4 

4th - Toyota Prius IV

5th VW Golf 1.4 TSI and Kia Sportage and Volvo XC60

8th BMW X1 and Hyundai i30

10th Hyundai Tucson and Audi A6

12th Mercedes V220

Those are really the most reliable cars, not some cut-price Japanese rice bowls.

https://www.autobild.de/bilder/die-neue-dauertest-rangliste-ab-2014--5130184.html#bild96

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2020 at 11:26 PM, pineapple01 said:

Scotty Kilmer on You Tube tells a truer tale about reliability issues.

Scotty is quite entertaining and fun to watch. He's a big fan of simple, reliable and cheap cars with older engine designs. So anything with electronics and non-metal parts are a no-go for him. That's ok, has its advantages, but the world has moved on and not everyone want a basic A to B commuter. Some people like to have fun around the twisties or want comfort on long highway journeys for example. A 15 year old Toyota Corolla isn't the be-all end-all car.

• Like 1

I have an opinion also but i will not say anything about what the OP should get.

When he is asking us about what kind of girl to look for next i may just give him a few hints.

My guess is when the lock down is being lifted he will forget about cars.

I have an older benz and service it myself. The WIS and EPC main dealer software which tell you how to fix the vehicle is online now they have switched to Xentry. B M Autoparts in bangkok is where i get all the parts from. They are great. Mercedes wanted 19000 for the drag link. These guys did it for 6000. Same Lemforder part, same part number. Parts ordered before 3pm over nighted to Phuket.

But I got the car cheap. If I was buying again I would get an older crown or LS400.