Thai driving video: Nutty clip makes national TV

webfact

11 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:
4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Must have been a hell of a baguette.

It was a tragedy really that he did not use his loaf.

Rooster

He wanted to, but was missing his bread knife The only option was to try the jackknife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Nong Bua Daeng to Chaiyaphum..............drive this about once a fortnight. See a crash or very near miss ever time. Thais just overtake blind hoping nothing is coming the other way. Really scary.

Usually going over Phu Lenka pass I seem to remember, Sugarcane trucks tip over every year going around the hairpins on that road, I recall one crushing a car with 3 people in it in the last year or three. It is a scary road, but only because of the idiots who can't drive on it. I'm on a motorbike mostly so stay ahead of them, then you only have to deal with the ones coming towards you...

Edited by zyphodb

I wrote that last reply before I saw the vid. I've driven that road hundreds of times and as others have said, you see either an accident or at least a very near miss pretty well every time that you travel on it. After living in Mukdahan for three years now I'd say the drivers are even worse around Muk. than they were in Chaiyaphum... 

5 hours ago, worrab said:

Cannot quite work out why that truck and trailer needed to go that wide. Bit excessive I think as the trailer should follow the truck with no problems.  

It is a fairly narrow hairpin, and the SC trucks usually take it like that...

5 hours ago, worrab said:

Cannot quite work out why that truck and trailer needed to go that wide. Bit excessive I think as the trailer should follow the truck with no problems.  

This is also the question I asked myself.
Why go so wide with a trailer truck?
I see only one explanation, in fact there are two.
1-- we are dealing with a beginner driver who does not know how to take a turn correctly.
2-- The driver is experienced, he knows the road which is badly manufactured and knows that by taking the rope his load will go to the ditch, so he takes off.

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

There used to be a youtube channel with daily uploads of the best worst accidents and near misses in Thailand.

The channel got taken down because it made Thailands roads and drivers look bad.

We all get to see the accident/death figures instead.

You get to see the figures they give us; the real numbers are much worse !

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lujanit said:

Nothing new here.  Cars and bikes driving on the wrong side of the road is accepted as normal here. Bunch of idiots.

And passing when it is unsafe to do so hoping against hope that the oncoming vehicle will see you and make room - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

That was a weird video.  but the videos on that face book page showed one example of Thai mentality.  Side road two lane road, one lane each way, and a bunch of cars were just trying to get ahead of the slow traffic by moving over to the right hand lane.  So dis respectful

19 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

See it every day; Thai drivers have no patience and will always take what they think is the 'Route of least resistance'; just can't help themselves and when it ends in disaster it will never 'be their fault' !

Yep, brain failure, passed off as brake failure. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, twix38 said:

Because truck driver had a very long load and can see fully around the corner so knows there is space and time to take a wide angle as he has such a long trailer to get around the corner. In that case why not play safe and take a wide arc when he can see there's no oncoming traffic.

The car driver undertaking on a corner is mental and the truck driver blasts his horn. Truck drivers driving was fine imv. Car driver was an idiot. fool

it is double lines ie no crossing over them, if the truck driver is incapable of driving and going round the corner without going over them and fully into the opposite lane he should not be driving at all, the corner is not that sharp that he needs to do it but as most thai truck drivers are absolute morons on the road it is expected they will do as they please, this is why they cause so many accidents. The truck driver should be fined heavily for what he did and lose his licence if he even has one as should the car driver, the truck did not have room, did you see all the cars that had to move to allow him to do it, problem is these idiots have no patience at all and simply do as they please because they know the police will not do anything to them or even be out on the roads

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, seajae said:

it is double lines ie no crossing over them, if the truck driver is incapable of driving and going round the corner without going over them and fully into the opposite lane he should not be driving at all, the corner is not that sharp that he needs to do it but as most thai truck drivers are absolute morons on the road it is expected they will do as they please, this is why they cause so many accidents. The truck driver should be fined heavily for what he did and lose his licence if he even has one as should the car driver, the truck did not have room, did you see all the cars that had to move to allow him to do it, problem is these idiots have no patience at all and simply do as they please because they know the police will not do anything to them or even be out on the roads

Ohh man, could we just settle this by saying that the truck driver is incompetent and the car driver is Thai.

Ok, what's new here? Come to Songkhla, Pattalung and Trang and you'll see this sort of driving every few minutes. I have been planning to count the near-misses I am involved in and extrapolate the data by kms, miles and minutes. 

On 4/24/2020 at 11:51 AM, lujanit said:

Nothing new here.  Cars and bikes driving on the wrong side of the road is accepted as normal here. Bunch of idiots.

It a freedom one can't get in my home country. 

You probably wear a helmet when riding a bicycle :cheesy: