Thailand now ready for cautious easing of lockdown restrictions – Dr. Prasit

webfact

Seems sensible enough. 

Although I just can't seem to workout what makes places like Italy and New York so vicious in regards to the virus yet Thailand has had IMMENSE exposure and barely did anything to stop it other than a loose stay-at home order, hand gel, and masks. 

• Like 2

Amazing Thailand!  Cum on lads, you knew someone was going to post it!  No really it's more luck than anything.  Being hot and dry has probably been a plus for a lot of provinces.  The real test will come when the rains are back and the humidity shoots up.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Seems sensible enough. 

Although I just can't seem to workout what makes places like Italy and New York so vicious in regards to the virus yet Thailand has had IMMENSE exposure and barely did anything to stop it other than a loose stay-at home order, hand gel, and masks. 

I red a day or two ago about a study in China, that out of 300-something spreading events only one was outside air, others inside - mostly home spreading to family and public transportation. I think that (people in Thailand spending a lot of time in outside air, not a lot of public transportation outside of BKK), with Vitamin D from sun exposure, masks, and hot air must have a huge effect. Plus absolutely a great thing that you'll stay in hospital until testing negative, reduces a lot of probable infection hotspots forming.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

Seems sensible enough. 

1 hour ago, Santzes said:

I red a day or two ago about a study in China, that out of 300-something spreading events only one was outside air, others inside - mostly home spreading to family and public transportation. I think that (people in Thailand spending a lot of time in outside air, not a lot of public transportation outside of BKK), with Vitamin D from sun exposure, masks, and hot air must have a huge effect. Plus absolutely a great thing that you'll stay in hospital until testing negative, reduces a lot of probable infection hotspots forming.

58 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I tend to agree that the weather and proximity to the equator has something to do with it, but how do you explain countries with similar weather and latitude having way higher infections? 

Air-conditioning?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Santzes said:

Vitamin D from sun exposure, masks, and hot air must have a huge effect.

Forget the sun and how sunlight helps to strengthen the immune system....You will be arrested if you go to the beach or the park....Even if you go alone......Better to stay locked in your house and watch T.V.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Seems sensible enough. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3080771/coronavirus-mutations-affect-deadliness-strains-chinese-study

Better keep the borders tight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, DrTuner said:

Better keep the borders tight.

Highly questionable source and even a Dr. such as yourself can acknowledge as much? 

And wouldn't mutations that extreme pretty much cancel any hope of a vaccine? 

And why would Thailands 'strain' be less fatal than any other nation - unless it was intentional? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

My 28k BTU aircon says im immune then.

Im in rural thailand and quite literally driving around and looking at the local markets you wouldn't even know there was a global pandemic. There is no difference here other than at 10PM nobody is moving around. 

I am also in rural Thailand (Issan) and there quite a few differences.

People, even within families, are practicing 'social distancing'. Quite a few, but not all are wearing masks. All returnees to the village have observed the 14 day isolation rule. (one guy has been staying in a hut down by the river) 

We've had 2 funerals (none Covid related) and they have both been very low key affairs. The monks are on lock-down in the temple and food is taken to them. A wedding has been cancelled.

But life here is still, from what I read, far better than in the urban centres. We're all free to move around pretty much as we please. (including my daily walk)

And we've still managed to keep the virus at bay. And that's what matters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Highly questionable source and even a Dr. such as yourself can acknowledge as much? 

And wouldn't mutations that extreme pretty much cancel any hope of a vaccine? 

And why would Thailands 'strain' be less fatal than any other nation - unless it was intentional? 

https://nextstrain.org/ncov

There are a lot of mutations already. It would be illogical none of them has any effect.

Here's the study itself: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20060160v1

Edited by DrTuner

The garment sewing sweat shops back in the heart of the Din Daeng neighborhood here in Bangkok operate day and night with the roll-up doors wide open and air con is virtually unknown. People work at their machines at most a meter apart, usually without masks. And over at the Din Daeng night food market the crowds have returned, elbow to elbow, but wearing masks. Except for a little less traffic, and the masks, you wouldn't know there was a problem.

• Like 1

Good that they start to ease the restrictions? Well I not know. In my mind this could only be understand in one of two ways and that is that the gouverment know or at least strongly believe that there is a lot of people in the country that have the virus, but to say that would be the same as to say, "we have done to few tests to keep the virus under control". The other possibility that I can see to not open up totally is that it have nothing to do with the virus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Seems sensible enough. 

Yo Mama - I am going to go with the concept that heat does have an effect on killing the virus... it hit here in hot season.