Thailand reports single digit COVID-19 cases for second consecutive day

webfact

Thailand reports single digit COVID-19 cases for second consecutive day

s2.reutersmedia.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Tuesday reported seven more coronavirus cases and two new deaths, bringing the total number of infections since the outbreak began in January to 2,938 cases and 54 fatalities.

The numbers extended a trend in fewer new cases, which had been over 100 per day earlier in past weeks.

Of the new cases, five were linked to previous cases, one had no known links to old cases and another is under investigation, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration.

Since the outbreak began, 2,652 patients have recovered and gone home.

(Editing by Shri Navaratnam)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-28

• Like 1

New Covid-19 cases drop to 7

By The Nation

800_d7efcbeeaead7e7.png?v=1588050893

Thailand continued its rapid progress in containing the Covid-19 outbreak, recording single-digit new cases for the second successive day.

There were seven new cases and two deaths over a 24-hour period while cumulative cases totalled 2,938, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Tuesday (April 28).

“Today is the second day that the number of new cases has dropped below 10,” he said.

Monday was the first time new cases had dropped to single digits at 9 – the lowest since the peak of 188 on March 22.

With two new deaths, the number of fatalities has gone up to 54, while 2,652 patients have recovered and returned home and 232 are undergoing treatment in hospitals.

People aged 20-29 remain a high-risk group, he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386907

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-28

26 minutes ago, keith101 said:

If these single figures are correct then why are they still banning inter provincial travel just doesn't make sense to me .

They're "correct" in the sense that it's the number of people they've found.

But I think they're being realistic in assuming that they are missing a significant percentage considering the large percentage of asymptomatic and mild cases.

In other words: they know that the current measure in places were effective at reducing the transmission rate, but they're not certain by how much and remain cautious.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, offset said:

If they not have systems how do you know who to test or are you saying you test everybody

I got tested today, on the boat I work on.. Captain bought enough tests for everyone onboard.

So far everyone has returned negative results for both antigens and antibodies.

I'm disappointed as I was hoping for positive results, which might provide immunity from future infections !!

Not sure how reliable these tests are ie false negatives ??

6 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I got tested today, on the boat I work on.. Captain bought enough tests for everyone onboard.

I'm disappointed as I was hoping for positive results, which might provide immunity from future infections !!

Did you happen to see the manufacturer of the kits?

15 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

You want a potentially fatal disease. Well you never know if they do it right you should be tested again and  you might hit the jackpot. As for immunity it is now being said that reinfection is a posibilty and apart from that any immunity is not for long. Don't hold your breath waiting for a vaccine either.

36 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

How many more people in Thailand are wandering around without displaying symptoms!

CNN mentioned an independent study in New York on I think 4000 people found over 75% being asymptomatic.

the PM is speaking now on TV. 

PM: The public holidays in May will stay where they are. (…) The night curfew will remain for now as well as other travel restrictions e.g. the ban of air arrivals to Thailand.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

If he bought them from a Chinese supplier ( likely) then probably a waste of money as they are only 60% effective, if at all. ????  Plus having it already, doesn't mean that you can't get it again.

Just now, thequietman said:

If he bought them from a Chinese supplier ( likely) then probably a waste of money as they are only 60% effective, if at all. ????  Plus having it already, doesn't mean that you can't get it again.

I believe they are local made in Singapore.. 

There is no evidence either way about immunity yet.

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the PM is speaking now on TV. 

PM: The public holidays in May will stay where they are. (…) The night curfew will remain for now as well as other travel restrictions e.g. the ban of air arrivals to Thailand.

Still in May? Sorry ????

Any good news yet?

13 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

We will do the test again in a week anyway...

The virus is potentially fatal, you are correct. However, I'm not in the bracket of most vulnerable so would happily take my chances.

I take a chance in life getting out of bed everyday, why should this virus get special treatment ??

As for immunity, there is no clear evidence either way yet. But going on data from previous similar virus, there will be some form of protection.

I don't believe a vaccine will be available any time soon, and wouldn't take it if it was released any time soon..

You are aware that this is potentially fatal for people in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. People who are healthy with no underliying medical issues have succumed.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

This one from the 7 new cases worries me:

"47 year old Thai man looking after his grandchild at home. lives in Koh Kaew (east coast near Phuket Town), fell sick on April 6 with symptoms of a dry cough. On April 15 went to get checked but everything was ‘OK’. On April 27 symptoms got worse so he decided to visit Vachira Hospital."

So he was in the community with symptoms from the 6th to the 27th, how many others has he infected? 

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/cv19-phuket/7-new-cases-in-phuket-today-total-214-tuesday

That's what contact tracing is all about. Let them do the worrying whilst you get on with your life. ????