Thai Cabinet decides not to postpone May holidays

webfact

Thai Cabinet decides not to postpone May holidays

tc.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai media reports the Cabinet has decided not to postpone the public holidays scheduled to take place in early May.

Following a meeting at Government House on Tuesday morning, Daily News reports the holidays will go ahead as scheduled.

The 4 public holidays in question are:

Labour Day - 1 May

Coronation Day - 4 May

Visakha Bucha - 6 May

Royal Ploughing Ceremony - 11 May

On Monday is was reported that the Cabinet was considering postponing the holidays as a preventative measure against COVID-19.

While the holidays will take place as planned, the official advice to stay indoors and avoid travelling unless absolutely necessary remains. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-28

In many places hardly any businesses are open so it will make no difference whatsoever.

Not quite sure why May 11th would be a holiday as the Royal Ploughing Ceremony is cancelled.

One good thing, probably not too many moans about the alcohol ban on the Buddha Day!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Even without the virus the economy would be tanking with all the holidays in Thailand

True, April was almost a total waste long before COVID, and almost any week with a holiday in it...

"While the holidays will take place as planned, the official advice to stay indoors and avoid travelling unless absolutely necessary remains."

I live on the Darkside. On Friday, then again on Monday, I had to take my wife to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. All I can tell you is that there are so many people who find it "absolutely necessary" to travel that the traffic here is at least the same, if not heavier than it was before the "lockdown". Has anybody else on the east side of the tracks noticed that?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

"While the holidays will take place as planned, the official advice to stay indoors and avoid travelling unless absolutely necessary remains."

I live on the Darkside. On Friday, then again on Monday, I had to take my wife to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. All I can tell you is that there are so many people who find it "absolutely necessary" to travel that the traffic here is at least the same, if not heavier than it was before the "lockdown". Has anybody else on the east side of the tracks noticed that?

The traffic is a lot less than normal from my POV, the drive to work from the Darkside to Pinthong is real easy since the lockdown, this week the traffic has definitely increased though.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Royal Ploughing Ceremony - 11 May

Do they mean that just the public holiday will take place, or will the annual event take place also? As I remember it there is usually quite a "scrum" to pick up rice once the dignitaries have left. Not ideal for social distancing.

Lucky for me I am not effected, been on holiday here since November 2015.

What I would like to hear is that the alcohol ban will be lifted for one day at least, which would give me enough time to grab some booze so I can bunker down with a smile every single day for the next month.

Drunk Man Drawing | Free download on ClipArtMag

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, nspec said:

So everyone is already on lockdown and the holidays go ahead but you stay at home...…..makes perfect sense!

Plenty of people still at work who will appreciate the days. Even working from home, it means you won't have to check in with the boss or be productive for a few days.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Lucky for me I am not effected, been on holiday here since November 2015.

What I would like to hear is that the alcohol ban will be lifted for one day at least, which would give me enough time to grab some booze so I can binker down with a smile every single day for the next month.

Perfectly reasonable..nearly all of us are willing to comply with the rules, but we deserve at least a small window of time to stock up.  Many of the hardcore town drunks have little money to invest in inventory, so that would give them a chance for a few, but curtail their public drinking, which could lead to health risks.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OnTheGround said:

People don't have work or money at present, and if alcohol ban continue,  who need holiday?

I don't need alcohol at all to have holidays

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

There's pros and cons to this which are all legitimate.

For me, I have been working fairly normally, so will appreciate the May holidays, especially after Songkran was cancelled.

Including the 3 days already owed from Songkran, I think rescheduling an additional 3 public holidays (Royal Ploughing is not a holiday for most) into the remaining 6 months of the year was going to be a challenge.

Once we are getting back to normal, people will want to work at a 100% and get their businesses up and running, not have loads of public holidays causing further disruption. 

Thanks for that. It's good to get some input from someone who actually works instead of sitting at a keyboard moaning all day. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

People don't have work or money at present, and if alcohol ban continue,  who need holiday?

People want to go back to work, earn money, then first then have a holiday and party.

Is that all you think about is money for beer.   A better idea would to put some beer money in a savings account for a time you may be short ,like the present situation. Or do  you have the Thai thought  of spend today my not be here tomorrow . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

People want to go back to work, earn money, then first then have a holiday and party.

Not true. A large number of people are still working - banks, shop staff, super market staff, petrol station staff, post offices transport, farmers etc etc etc; and not forgetting emergency staff, medical staff and all the workers involved in hospitals etc.

Many people don't have work, many do. And for them the holiday is a chance to spend time off.

1 hour ago, patsfangr said:

And is their any distancing in the car