Emergency extended for one more month, night curfew to remain

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

If you are desperate for alcohol then why not make your own.  I did when I worked in Saudi Arabia.

There are more sensible things to discuss than alcohol.....unless of course some of you are alcoholics then, that is a cause for concern.

I bet you weren’t a nurse. What was your tipple beer, wine or SId.

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Exactly! priorities - I have no problem staying home, but at least let me have a few beers, I find my company insufferable when I haven't medicated with alcohol! ????

Note to self - ascertain sobriety of posters when responding to them.

1 hour ago, eyup said:

It's been available all day at least as a their suggestions for easing lockdowns.  BUT. as far as I know nothing has been made official yet and it may vary from region to region governor to governor and even areas in regions with different colour coding .

Unlikely to be anything more than wild speculation. Don't know about that colour coding, but you'll get no one to specify that sort of date when the whole situation is still in the flow, furthermore with state of emergency by central government or not still standing, too much is to decide for provincial governours.

Small outdoor stores and vendors are open as of now, always have been, like your mom&pop stores and bbqs, so much for "May 4th"

Genreal stores, aircon or not, always have stayed open, but mostly limitied to selling food and household goods, don't know where they draw the line here. Tesco, Big C, Foodland..., that was that "Phase Green"

Food markets are open, e.g Pattaya's fish market and the open air ones, take away only, parks... have not been to said fish market and the greens near it, only know about closed beaches, so are malls and department stores as far their supermarket (i.e. food) section is concerned. 

So, to hold any water, that nice graphic is way too concrete on the one hand, too little precise on the other. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

All our local restaurants and mom-n-pop shops are sold out of any and all kinds of alcohol ????

4 hours before the beer ban came into effect I visited a local warehouse that stocks beer to find it packed to the rafters. I looked at them strangely wondering why no Thais were in there panic buying. They looked at me strangely and now i know they were thinking "why does johnny foreigner think he needs to buy a stash"? Have visited a couple more times since for other provisions. The massive stack has been reduced to nought. My wife tells me most of the other village Mom & Pops are still selling "under-the-counter".

Only difference is no big drinkathon parties, no weddings, no big funerals. I think it's mostly being drunk quietly at home. I guess the dictatocracy would regard that with justification as success - and the epitomy of Thainess.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

I bet you weren’t a nurse. What was your tipple beer, wine or SId.

Your right, I wasn't a nurse but an aircraft mechanic.  Beer and wine it still is.....the other I didn't touch.

2 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Not doctors. A doctor said that.

If you would have given them a chance and watched it you would have noticed that they were indeed 2 doctors presenting. (And not just 2 doctors but 2 ER doctors, working every day at the Covid front.) 
So "doctors" was definitely correct.

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Well that's a perfect way to cram 70% of the population in Makro for two days.

Absolutely. Which moron came up with that policy?

Not only Makro. Popular smaller box shops around me were hives of non-conformists when it came to physical distancing even 2 or 3 weeks ago before bans were announced and on a business-as-usual basis. The mind boggles at the number of human zoos this will create. Has to be fake news, surely?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

If you would have given them a chance and watched it you would have noticed that they were indeed 2 doctors presenting. (And not just 2 doctors but 2 ER doctors, working every day at the Covid front.) 
So "doctors" was definitely correct.

I have watched this. It have come across my feeds at least 50 times in the last 4-5 days. It is the one dissenting video, amongst literally thousands of opposite opinions, and it being used as the "smoking gun" that everyone else is wrong. All 185 countries doing some form of lockdown have it wrong, and these 2 guys have it right. Show me a hundred more like it, and then you are just starting to make a case. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BoojamTheKind said:

Every comment you make reeks of some authoritarian/fascist mental disorder. Take a chill pill. Try to learn a little of the philosophy of liberty. Try listening to the Ron Paul Liberty Report. Ron Paul, an elder statesman and doctor has been highly critical of the forced quarantines which he and many highly qualified people see as doing more harm than good.

Try thinking for yourself, or is that too dangerous?

'All the right-minded thinkers have opinions very close to mine' I find your opinion far more fascist than that of the poster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I don't buy at Makro but I agree with you on the massive booze grab that is going to happen. There is a shop that is a little town distributor near me that has all the nice scotch and cases of beer and wine that I need. And good quality. The only problem now is the wife just told me the info and now she expects a make her happy favor tonight for the approval with no hassle for me to go stock up big. The things a guy has to do in order to have some peace at home. And just when I thought my New Years present was enough for the year..

Care to let us in on the location! ????

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Does sport and exercise venues include gyms? I can't wait to use my condo's gym again.

You better bring your own 70% alcohol  to wipe down  the equipment after your done! Maybe suggest it to the Thai's if they don't practice it at the gym

Edited by Yankeesvsredsox

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

How long have you lived here?  Haven't made any mom and pop shop contacts?

And for those of us not satisfied with a bottle of homg thomg or a box of leo?

I would much rather see sports venues open than the booze ban lifted if it came down to a choice.

Give me a park, beach, cycle track, swimming pool wakepark over a chang any day.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thai government should announce about detection covid-19 for free and they will know the truth how many people are infected so they can be sure the situation will be good or still need to restrict curfews 

Announcement  to postpone emergency decree doesn't help anything 

4 hours ago, Susco said:

in Sweden, with new cases increasing every day and a death rate MUCH higher than in neighbouring countries that are in lockdown

wishful thinking?

"new cases increasing every day" is simply what happens if you test, and if you understand that Sweden is just letting the process towards herd immunity run faster than in the lockdown countries. It's not about avoiding the spread anymore, it's simply about the speed.

And as bonus Sweden will have not destroyed its economy as much as the lockdown countries.

• Like 1

How much you want to bet that the instant any restriction is eased, it will be abused by almost everyone around the country ?

Masses of people will be congregating in the parks to "exercise". Every restaurant will (quietly) start serving booze (though the smart ones won't serve it in bottles or beer glasses).
Other shops will start to open because "hey - if the pet manicure shop can open and make money, why can't I sell my (whatever) too ?".

I'll bet a lot of people have June 15th circled on their calendars. Probably will be camped out in front of their favourite watering hole a week before that (just in case there is a "soft opening" ahead of the scheduled opening).

Will be interesting to see the accident stats from the 15th (of June) onwards.

• Like 2