PEA: residential electricity users to get refunds in May or July depending on usage

webfact

1: Why does the government allow foreigners owning transformers to charge 7THB/kWh instead of 4THB to other foreigner owners? Does anybody have the official regulations documents?
2: Electricity bills reduced or reimbursed depending on the case: foreigner transformer owners will put the money directly in their pocket and will not want to reimburse. If we deduct the overpaid directly on the next bill some will threaten to cut off electricity which is not legal. Please publish official regulations and consumer rights. 

I just give the wife 3000 baht a month and she pays internet,  3 phones,  electric and water.  I rarely ask what the bills are as they vary little.  Last week we stopped at PEA in Wang Sai Phun to pay the bill and they wouldn't take our money!  Now I know why!  

3 hours ago, Sissi36 said:

1: Why does the government allow foreigners owning transformers to charge 7THB/kWh instead of 4THB to other foreigner owners? Does anybody have the official regulations documents?
2: Electricity bills reduced or reimbursed depending on the case: foreigner transformer owners will put the money directly in their pocket and will not want to reimburse. If we deduct the overpaid directly on the next bill some will threaten to cut off electricity which is not legal. Please publish official regulations and consumer rights. 

Some landlords still charge what they want for electricity. There is a law from 2018 that tried to change this. A good source covering this topic is here

https://www.rentbangkokapartments.com/new-rental-laws-thailand/

17 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Thaivisa understands that 1.1.2. users are those with consumption over 150 kWh.

Consumption over 150 kWh - but when? Is it evaluated every month? Or was this measured and you were categorized by April's bill?

A customer under tariff No. 1.1 who used electricity not over 50 units per month is still get electricity free of charge until December 2015 and since January 2016, customer under tariff No. 1.1 who is not legal entity and used electricity not over 50 units per month for the subsequent 3 consecutive months can use electricity free of charge in the third month. 

The current figure has been upped to 150 units. The end date has not been set.

Sontirat said around 22 million households will benefit from the subsidy. Different rates of discount apply depending on the amount of units in excess of what the household consumed in their February cycle.

For example, if a household uses more electricity than what they used in February but does not exceed 800 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February.

For households that consume 800-3,000 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February, plus 50 percent of the additional units in excess of their February usage. For households that use more than 3,000 units, a 30 percent discount applies by the same calculation.

A small number of households which are still using electricity meters with less than five amperes in capacity are also given 150 units for free, Sontirat added.

The discounts will be automatically deducted, or refunded for those who already paid, from the bills of the following months, the energy minister said.

The measure will only apply to ordinary household users. Sontirat said relevant authorities are considering relief measures for industrial and other large-scale users.

Read this and if you have any questions ask the PEA or MEA

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sissi36 said:

Maybe because they had to pay a lot for the transformer (hundreds of thousands) and so can recoup a bit of that expense. 

21 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Maybe because they had to pay a lot for the transformer (hundreds of thousands) and so can recoup a bit of that expense. 

Well all transformer owners paid a lot for it but don’t charge 7THB. He didn’t even pay for the land it is on. 

3 hours ago, Sissi36 said:

Well all transformer owners paid a lot for it but don’t charge 7THB. He didn’t even pay for the land it is on. 

And precisely how many people do you know who had to pay for a transformer and who supply other users? This is not a common system. Most transformers are supplied installed and paid for by the PEA.

I know of at least 1 who had the foresight to put the transformer on private property and so any one who wanted to connect to it was changed a percentage of the install cost. They then paid the standard price per unit

On 4/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, Scott Tracy said:

Still waiting for the meter deposit refund.....

Did you have to file a claim form.?  Is the meter/account in your name or in a Thai national's name.? If it is, I cannot see Thailand giving the steam off their <deleted> to any farang.

On 4/30/2020 at 2:47 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

My land owner has one meter, which he gets billed at the standard (staggered) rates. I have a secondary meter, to my house. I get billed at 6.9 baht/unit. PEA says, they will only allow one main meter per tambien baan.

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

My land owner has one meter, which he gets billed at the standard (staggered) rates. I have a secondary meter, to my house. I get billed at 6.9 baht/unit. PEA says, they will only allow one main meter per tambien baan.

And that is relevant to a transformer owner charging more, how?

It is the normal, though possibly illegal, system that also operates in many  houses that have been divided. 

On 4/29/2020 at 8:08 PM, Oldie said:

Yes - there is a newer law that it is not allowed to charge more than the actual rate that is around 4 Baht. To make it more complicated it depends on the number of rooms that the owner has that he rents out. Many people renting get charged 7, 8 or more Baht. Does anyone know if this law ever got enforced at least 1 time?

I live in my wife's house and for the first 4 months of this year, 1 kwh was 4.38, 4.01, 4.27 and 4.38 baht per unit.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I live in my wife's house and for the first 4 months of this year, 1 kwh was 4.38, 4.01, 4.27 and 4.38 baht per unit.

The cost per Kilowatt hour did not change, neither did the fuel adjustment, by anything significant. So the price you paid per kWH remained constant. All that happened was that you used less in February and March so used fewer kWhs at the higher per kWh cost.

you can not take the price charged and divide that by the units and get a meaningful cost per unit.

1 to 150 3.2484 Baht/ kWh

151 to 400 .......

over 400 4.4217 Baht/ kWh

are different if on the 1.2 tarif

on the 1.1 each of the following has a different cost.

First 15 kWh ( 1st – 15th) 2.3488 Baht/ kWh
Next 10 kWh (16th – 15th) .......
Next 10 kWh (26th – 35th).........
Next 65 kWh (36th – 100th).......
Next 50 kWh (101st – 150th)........
Next 250 kWh (151st – 400th)........
Over 400 kWh (up from 401st) 4.4217 Baht/ kWh

that you do not know the tariff does not make the cost per kWh change.
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The cost per Kilowatt hour did not change, neither did the fuel adjustment, by anything significant. So the price you paid per kWH remained constant. All that happened was that you used less in February and March so used fewer kWhs at the higher per kWh cost.

you can not take the price charged and divide that by the units and get a meaningful cost per unit.

1 to 150 3.2484 Baht/ kWh

151 to 400 .......

over 400 4.4217 Baht/ kWh

are different if on the 1.2 tarif

on the 1.1 each of the following has a different cost.

First 15 kWh ( 1st – 15th) 2.3488 Baht/ kWh
Next 10 kWh (16th – 15th) .......
Next 10 kWh (26th – 35th).........
Next 65 kWh (36th – 100th).......
Next 50 kWh (101st – 150th)........
Next 250 kWh (151st – 400th)........
Over 400 kWh (up from 401st) 4.4217 Baht/ kWh

that you do not know the tariff does not make the cost per kWh change.

In January I used 886 units costing 4.38 per unit
February I used 871 units costing 4.01 per unit. 15 units less than January

March I used 852 units costing 4.37 per unit. 19 units less than February

April I used 1,025 units costing 4.28 per unit. 173 units more than March

You figure it out.

I am not that interested as I pay the bill not long after I get it.

19 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Paid mine as normal via the app, was hoping they would say go away, or discount it, no such luck, situation normal, paid in full. Maybe we'll get something off next month.

I'm going to say that you're the lucky one!  My bill (okay my wife's) is now overdue but the PEA  app still shows zero balance due. Doesn't mean that I'm not still paranoid about being disconnected though!

Just want to be able to pay something to put my mind at ease.

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

In January I used 886 units costing 4.38 per unit
February I used 871 units costing 4.01 per unit. 15 units less than January

March I used 852 units costing 4.37 per unit. 19 units less than February

April I used 1,025 units costing 4.28 per unit. 173 units more than March

You figure it out.

I am not that interested as I pay the bill not long after I get it.

As I said your figures  were an average  but they were not the per unit cost. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As I said your figures  were an average  but they were not the per unit cost. 

It really doesn't matter how you slice and dice it or what your theories are, because you pay the amount stated on the bill anyway.

BTW my figures were as stated on the bill and that is what I pay.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It really doesn't matter how you slice and dice it or what your theories are,

Not my theory PEA/MEA fact. It’s all on the website. The exact cost per unit for the charge band depending on the tariff (most commonly 1.1.2).

The fact that you cannot understand that your kWh unit cost hasn’t changed, only the average, just means that you are mathematically challenged, I sympathise with your disability ???? 

The only variable that is unknown in advance is the fuel adjustment.

• Sad 3

I don't a get a paper electricity bill each month, the amount is debited straight out of my landlords account and I use the MEA app to see the total to pay him.

The app should have updated on 23rd April, but hasn't yet.   So is that us getting free electricity? However, looking at the story:

For example, if a household uses more electricity than what they used in February but does not exceed 800 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February.

For households that consume 800-3,000 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February, plus 50 percent of the additional units in excess of their February usage. For households that use more than 3,000 units, a 30 percent discount applies by the same calculation.

A small number of households which are still using electricity meters with less than five amperes in capacity are also given 150 units for free, Sontirat added.

In Feb we used 1142 units, so expecting March to easily be double, if not triple that.  So we should have some charge to pay this month, but it hasn't; updated for March yet?

My experience of paying my April 22 PEA bill today at Tesco Lotus, Pattaya. It was actually due on May 2, but I held off for a few days to allow for any computer recalculations.

Billing history:

Feb - 1100 units

Mar - 1566 units

Apr - 1639 units - Bt 7,129  (after 3% discount)

So, handed over the bill and the amount to pay was shown as Bt 5,927. I didn't query the amount as the Lotus girl would have no idea of the calculation. Paid up and came back home to try and  work out the basis.

My calculation is:

New units for April: 50% of (April(1639) less Feb (1100)) = 270 + Feb(1100) = 1370 units  

Looking at the PEA calc website (https://www.pea.co.th/webapplications/EstimateBill/index.html# ) that equates to Bt 6,112.

Deduct the 3% discount and that shows Bt 5,928. Within 1 baht of what I paid (rounding).

Now, that looks OK. Interested if that matches any other posters experience.

But it begs the question of what about the March bill adjustment? Maybe that has yet to be adjusted in the PEA computer system and will show up when making the May payment. Fingers crossed.

On 4/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, ukrules said:

I'm sure they will charge you as normal and keep the discount.

I'm staying in a condo and I get my bill from PEA (government price) and pay it as any normal customer does. 

I finally managed to pay my bill this morning.

I February I used 871 units and paid 3.490.40 thb.

In April I used 1,025 units and the bill came to 4.385.77 thb.

This morning I paid the revised bill of 3.921 thb.

The saving was 464.77 thb or about 10.5% saving.

I use the app to check my electricity bill. It calculates it from the middle of the previous month to the middle of the current month. My bill for March/April was less than I thought but nothing mentioned about a discount. Anyhoo, I normally pay my electricity bill within the first week of the month. I went on the app to pay and it shows my amount due as 0.00. There was a message in Thai about a cabinet resolution but Google translate didn't make much sense. I'll just wait and see for now.