kindle fire ,windows 10 instalation?

bert bloggs

Kindle is Android based, albeit their own version. 

If you want a tablet based on windows version go onto Lazada.

They do a cheap tablet that you can interchange between Android and Windows.

Edited by DPKANKAN
  • Thanks 1

If they do freeze your account be prepared for a long phone call and the answer to those security questions like "what school did your mother go to?" etc.

I would say no way you can run Windows in any useful way on it, but you never know what someone will come up with.

I've never run a Kindle, but people have told me it can be intrusive, with messages like "found a music file that is not properly licensed" and things to that effect. 

Every so often amazon sells refurbished Kindles for around US$40, and I've been looking into the possibility of installing a non-kindle version of Android on one.  Some people are succeeding, like here.  I'm still on the fence about it.  If this sounds interesting and you know a tech-savvy person mention it to them, they might take the challenge.

• Thanks 1

I should mention that your bank may have a an Android app of its own, so maybe no need to run from a browser.  If they do it'll be mentioned somewhere on their site.

Personally I'm not too keen on Android's security, though I have no solid reason for it.

1 minute ago, bendejo said:

I should mention that your bank may have a an Android app of its own, so maybe no need to run from a browser.  If they do it'll be mentioned somewhere on their site.

Personally I'm not too keen on Android's security, though I have no solid reason for it.

Yes they do have a banking app ,both off them do ,but ,if you use it you have to have a code sent to your mobile ,i live in Thailand ,but use a UK address,so cant use the app but use pinsentry machine for my cards.

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Yes they do have a banking app ,both off them do ,but ,if you use it you have to have a code sent to your mobile ,i live in Thailand ,but use a UK address,so cant use the app but use pinsentry machine for my cards.

That could be a problem if you don't have a mobile phone number registered.  At least one of my banks recognises if I log on with a new device and does an extra security check in the form of a one time passcode sent to my mobile phone.  You may want to check how yours does it and how to work round it if their method doesn't suit.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Fire tablet is very proprietary 

Win10 for fire tablet is impossible as far as I know, I could not even install the Chrome browser on mine and I have the latest model.  . I found a hack of how it could be done on YouTube but i can't be bothered to try it since there are also other things that it does not do, and being that I have to carry my lop top also. it makes the Fire Tablet redundant.

I wanted the fire tablet so that I can travel lite and only carry one thing for my E-books, internet connectivity and apps to control smart devices at home.  

The Fire app store is also very limited, I could not even find the app for the surveillance cameras to my Thai home , that I can easily find  for my android phone that I had, and my Iphone that I just got. 

I am very disappointed by it. But if you don't have a loptop  the silk browser will do. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

The Fire tablet is very proprietary 

Win10 for fire tablet is impossible as far as I know, I could not even install the Chrome browser on mine and I have the latest model.  . I found a hack of how it could be done on YouTube but i can't be bothered to try it since there are also other things that it does not do, and being that I have to carry my lop top also. it makes the Fire Tablet redundant.

I wanted the fire tablet so that I can travel lite and only carry one thing for my E-books, internet connectivity and apps to control smart devices at home.  

The Fire app store is also very limited, I could not even find the app for the surveillance cameras to my Thai home , that I can easily find  for my android phone that I had, and my Iphone that I just got. 

I am very disappointed by it. But if you don't have a loptop  the silk browser will do. 

Yes ,i think i will just get a cheap laptop ,then the wife can use it in place of her computer as well ,as its now so old . anyway thanks to all for your help ,