Lifting booze ban could fuel contagion: Taweesin

snoop1130

13 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Is all this stupidity supposed to be nation-wide now or what? Because half of this (especially the booze ban) was dictated by local governors. 

Because literally all of these in my small town have been open for weeks. You wouldnt even know there was a pandemic if you visited here other than not being able to buy alcohol. 

Local bank didn't even check my temp today or offer hand gel (have my own anyway)

I would not mind betting that the local village headman is doing a roaring trade.

Whiskey houses will be manufacturing at full speed.

• Like 1

for people with the right contacts its easy to buy booze, even in Bangkok. Cases of fine wines and spirits only, i believe. The people running this business must be making a fortune.

Apparently there is even rumored to be a Police Station!!! in central Bangkok which will sell it (at a price), to close friends and contacts. it sounds incredible, i know.

Amazing Thailand indeed!

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

How often do you disinfect your phone? You know, that thing that you carry everywhere, put down on various surfaces, touch with your fingers, and keep placing near your mouth.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sujo said:

Im surprised communal eating is not banned. It should be and it is in malaysia. Food isnt banned as it is a necessity of life. Communal eating is not.

They still gather 15+ with the food vendors outside my local 7.. all day everyday, with there bottled of home brew.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sujo said:

No, you ban and fine those sitting in groups eating it. Food is essential, alcohol is not.

Humour is so obviously not contagious in this instance. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Is all this stupidity supposed to be nation-wide now or what? Because half of this (especially the booze ban) was dictated by local governors. 

Because literally all of these in my small town have been open for weeks. You wouldnt even know there was a pandemic if you visited here other than not being able to buy alcohol. 

Local bank didn't even check my temp today or offer hand gel (have my own anyway)

I have experienced the same for the last 2-3 weeks where I live as well. You could not tell there was any lockdown except for the ban on alcohol. I see approx 30% of the people out in the community are not wearing a mask. Most older me, ages vary, but maybe over 30 don't wear a mask when gathered together for morning coffee, defy the law or don't care, not sure what it is here for the reasons they do it. I have a Thai friend that owns a small mom & pop store that also ran online sports betting, and he is friends with the police as well. I see him and the police friends in front of the house sitting at the tables drinking coffee during the day and probably doing beer under the table, I have not asked him about the beer so as not to offend him.  However there is no logic to the ban on alcohol and believe that Thailand, parts of Mexico, South Africa and Greenland are the only countries in the world.

A complete Farce. There is a family of Thai's that live the other side of my house. EVERY night there is a gathering, with the chink of bottles and glasses. EVERY morning there is the sound of bottles being put away into boxes for recycle. Just how more out of touch can these morons in so called government get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phaser said:

The Thai govt always treats the Thai people as children - Rights always flow down not up. It is what it is. 

That's because Thais let them. Rights are not given, they are taken.

• Like 2

Ha ! On the subject of communal eating .... not only do they sit around with friends and family in say groups of 8 to 10, but they often extract their soupy dishes with their own soup spoon, which strikes their lips and then back into the soup bowl (e.g. Tom Yam) hows that for spreading 'any' virus ???

15 hours ago, johng said:

There is no logic to this whole WuFlu debacle !

I have found many times in the past that when things are not making any sense, they really ARE making perfect sense, but you just haven't figured out the hidden agenda yet. This is true of corona as well.

• Like 2

"CCSA spokesman Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin said the ban would remain in place until May 31 for the benefit of all people"

So people can still eat together, drink coffee and perhaps a coke, but not drink alcohol???

Even if Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin was correct, it doesn't make any sense, so he must be incorrect. What he is saying is ban the sale of alcohol until the end of May, then by magic the risk of contagion is over? Until an effective vaccine has been developed and given out, there will obviously be a risk of contagion, especially when the Chinese are invited back, as we all know they love social distancing!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

I have found many times in the past that when things are not making any sense, they really ARE making perfect sense, but you just haven't figured out the hidden agenda yet. This is true of corona as well.

Aha! 

"Spot the scam" is at work here.

Yes. Who benefits from the pandemic? Is it a planned stock market reset? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Aha! 

"Spot the scam" is at work here.

Yes. Who benefits from the pandemic? Is it a planned stock market reset? Inquiring minds want to know.

I could tell you, but my post would just be deleted as off topic. I don't think it has anything to do with the stock market. Sorry, everyone needs to figure it out by themselves. We are only in the beginning stages of this. Should be quite the show.

5 minutes ago, INANIMATECARBONROD said:

It's novel, it's serious, and we need to take it seriously and fight it appropriately BUT it doesn't seem as bad as some would want you to believe, does it?

Many thousands of dead people wish they could disagree with you. The post I responded to was "this is just another regular flu." Use my numbers, use your numbers, it doesn't matter. This is NOT "just another flu."

• Confused 1

Some of the Thai "grey hairs" have been doing a good job of communicating with the public, including this fellow. Then he goes and ruins everything by spouting off this gubbins about booze being the main cause of contagion. So eating from a street cart doesn't hurt at all? And being packed into a market shoulder-to-shoulder doesn't either? It's only booze that's evil, right? Why doesn't he just come right out and admit the truth: the main reason people contract the virus is because they are breathing, and the government and its experts have decided that this must stop immediately.

13 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

In that case we can expect the alcohol ban to stay for many months.

Especially if the people start to riot because of the ban.

Edited by jojothai
Correction

15 hours ago, fishtank said:

Should ban som tum then,

More sit around sharing that than beer.

yes indeed - I always ended up with "gut rot" after eating it, so never again to this very day!! Probably the small crabs, molluscs, fish, beetle larvae and other "creepy crawlies" that were munged up with the shredded papaya, tomatoes and chilies!

15 hours ago, Sujo said:

Im surprised communal eating is not banned. It should be and it is in malaysia. Food isnt banned as it is a necessity of life. Communal eating is not.

To be truthful communal eating has come down to geography, most Thais have continued to eat in groups as that is their culture, now it's just moving it back to the streets.

8 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I support this. While in lockdown people will consume more and then jump on the motorbike to go buy more. The road deaths have plummeted since the booze ban was introduced. 

Yeah, they should ban fuel as well.................. nothing like getting to the root cause.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Farang said:

They always ban alcohol,  this is nothing new.  If they regularly ban alcohol,  then there is obviously an alcoholism problem in the country. 

It's nothing to do with alcoholism. It's all to do with control. If there was an alcohol problem, the first thing they would do is ban the cheap rocketfuel so many Thais drink. Instead, it's the cheapest alcohol people can buy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wordchild said:

for people with the right contacts its easy to buy booze, even in Bangkok. Cases of fine wines and spirits only, i believe. The people running this business must be making a fortune.

Apparently there is even rumored to be a Police Station!!! in central Bangkok which will sell it (at a price), to close friends and contacts. it sounds incredible, i know.

Amazing Thailand indeed!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression you are surprised? 

• Haha 1

They will still sort through a common bowl of food with there hands and use there eating spoon to sort through soup shared with 6 others and you worry about me drinking a Leo from the bottle, <deleted> are they thinking if you want a group party with beer go to a Mom and Pop store.