IF the Booze-ban Ends July 31st, IF, Then How Will Alcohol Consumption be Affected among Thailand's Population?

During the past 20 days, I have been mulling over various possibilities and answers to this question.

There is no doubt that alcohol consumption is lower during this month than it was in April one year ago.

My question is: IF we can just hold on to our chairs with trembling hands for only a short three months longer, then what might the affect be?

Will we return to boozing it up as usual?

Or, will we finally come to our senses and supplant liquor and beer with Chinese green tea?

Will fatalities decrease if we do remain teetotalers after the ban is lifted?

Are we, as free individuals, able to exercise self-control over our natural and baser wish to imbibe in the enjoyment of spirits, and in occasional or frequent over-drinking, as the case may be?

Now is a perfect chance for us all to engage in a bit of introspection, and to analyze why it is that this alcohol ban even matters, if it does.

When I am unable to drink Chinese green tea, just because I forgot to order enough from China, I become fixated on my increased thirst for it.

Same goes for beer, especially German beer.  When you can't get it, then it seems to take on disproportionate importance, when in fact it is not much different from any other beverage.

I am trying not to remember that there is a booze ban on now, but sometimes when I am thirsty, then I do suddenly recall it.

I answer to this problem of mine is to just drink tea.

Tea, these days, I do have.

I have about 2 kilograms of tea, plenty to last me through to the end of July, no matter how many cups I might drink each day.

So, I say, life is good when one can drink either tea or beer, and both will do, even though we are now unable to drink the latter.

Using the word "latter" just now reminds me of the word "lager", a word that I am trying not to remember.

• Confused 2

If they force and not allow any will power.  Ban it and let it bite them on the backside when it is finally allowed.  Stick to green tea.   Not that an labor worker will do that, but the bigger drinkers abstaining and reputation as a country that will ban while you are visiting on holiday? Reap what they sow!  The next Brunei of tourism in ASEAN! That will be hard to swallow!

Edited by jmccarty
  • Like 2

I drink tea, coffee, green tea, soda water, tonic water, beer.

I can to a shop and buy all above but the last, to say the least is stupid..

The damage the idiots are doing to the large Thai Brewery companies will not go down well.

The now Thai govt obviously thinks its Thai population is a bunch of alcoholics.

There is one more concern to be considered:

Almost all governments are now strongly encouraging social distancing, even Sweden is doing so.

And, as well, government health agencies have historically warned us about the risks involved with "solitary drinking".

But these days, we are told to refrain from engaging with others in the social setting due to the highly transmissible Wuhan Virus.

This might suggest that, if the ban were lifted, then people who were once social drinkers would soon turn into solitary drinkers, possibly leading to increased rates of alcohol abuse syndrome.  People might just sit in their rooms/homes all day, drinking by themselves to escape feelings of loneliness and isolation. Some might even drink themselves into a stupor.

This is why, in my view, drinking Chinese green tea is the best option among very few good options.

For another thing, we do know that alcohol consumption lowers the immune response.

Now is the time when we need our immune system in tip top shape.

Don't you agree?

2 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

When I am unable to drink Chinese green tea, just because I forgot to order enough from China, I become fixated on my increased thirst for it.

Same goes for beer, especially German beer.  When you can't get it, then it seems to take on disproportionate importance, when in fact it is not much different from any other beverage.

Perhaps you would consider taking a holiday in China.

The airports will be opening up soon enough and I'm very sure there will be 100's of flights to and from China every day.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Perhaps you would consider taking a holiday in China.

The airports will be opening up soon enough and I'm very sure there will be 100's of flights to and from China every day.

Forget it!

I shall never return to China, and that is a promise I fully intend to keep.

Xi will do anything to remain in power for the foreseeable future.

While there is a Xi in China, I will never go back.

Xi has destroyed China, and so there is no longer anything of value in the once-glorious Middle Kingdom, at least for me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As many have already mentioned in multiple threads, most of us on here like a sensible amount of drinks home alone. But we are not the voters and we are not locals.

I am trying to limit my alcohol intake to 150 days for 2020, and was well on target, especially considering that I was planning to go to the UK for all of April, so I prepared for Jan-Mar with even more reduced intake.

I can (and enjoy) stop drinking for long periods, but with no work and chores all done early in the day, it's the perfect time to enjoy some cold drinks twice a week. Alas, we cannot. I also don't like being controlled by someone who has more power than the ability to listen to common sense or think rationally.

But, I'm a guest here, so like us all have to go with the flow.... can't even fly away!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, alien365 said:

The result would be a greatly reduced tolerance to alcohol, requiring less to get drunk, but people will probably still drink the amounts they used to causing more drunkenness and deaths.

You are no doubt correct.  Just statistically speaking, there are unlikely to be zero cases of what you predict.

2 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

With out being rude, you can take the green tea and shove it where the sun don't shine

????

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem!

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2020 at 1:04 AM, JohnBarleycorn said:

Xi has destroyed China

There are billions of Chinese who wouldn’t agree with you.

I’m in agreement with you on returning to China, I’ve made two trips there, the second one largely retracing the steps of my first trip which was spectacular and one of the best I ever had. The second trip was a massive disappointment. The China I loved had become an overcrowded sideshow. There was nothing left of the beauty I had first seen and I decided I didn’t ever need to return.

41 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

There are billions of Chinese who wouldn’t agree with you.

I’m in agreement with you on returning to China, I’ve made two trips there, the second one largely retracing the steps of my first trip which was spectacular and one of the best I ever had. The second trip was a massive disappointment. The China I loved had become an overcrowded sideshow. There was nothing left of the beauty I had first seen and I decided I didn’t ever need to return.

There are spy cameras all over China, now, in every nook and cranny.

No doubt, Xi is so paranoid that he even has a spy cam tucked tightly up his kazoo, just to see if Trump has planted a CIA agent in his colon.

Worse than this, is that China's intranet has become almost separate from the world's internet.

I was speaking to a PhD candidate from Sichuan who is now studying abroad.  He can't go back to China because he would be unable to continue his research.

I have spent about 40 years in Greater China, and Xi has destroyed it, beginning with the last Olympics held in China.  That was when the crackdown began.

Wait and see..

The world is beginning to wake up to what China really is.

The world now sees the CPC for what it truly is.

Wait and see....

(When you mention "billions" of Chinese, are you thinking of the 1.4 billion Chinese humans plus the number of Chinese pigs? After the recent outbreak of swine flu in China, there are far fewer swine in the Middle Kingdom.)

Edited by JohnBarleycorn
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 12:24 AM, Kwasaki said:

I drink tea, coffee, green tea, soda water, tonic water, beer.

I can to a shop and buy all above but the last, to say the least is stupid..

The damage the idiots are doing to the large Thai Brewery companies will not go down well.

The now Thai govt obviously thinks its Thai population is a bunch of alcoholics.

Why not start drinking tomorrow May 3 when the alcohol ban is lifted? 

• Thanks 1

I am puzzled that this is such an enduring topic in the forums. 

Am I the only one who enjoys a single beer every night and lets it ends there? 

I don't crawl the walls if I can't get it but I resent the ban nonetheless. Now that the fickle government here has again allowed alcohol sales starting Sunday May 3, I intend to buy 4 cases of beer and 2 bottles of vodka before the wind changes again whether I ever drink it or not. 

Why? Because I am offended by other parties regulating what I consume. Very simple principle that extends well beyond alcohol. 

I am unwilling to believe for an instant that a beer each day has any influence on my health or lifespan.

In other words I will never entertain any argument to the contrary because it's a waste of effort and can never be conclusively proven either way. 

I understand that some folks want alcohol banned and some folks are drunks.  Both stances involve way too much emotional involvement in this non-issue. 

Whatever happened to moderation in all things and leaving it to others to manage their own lives?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I am puzzled that this is such an enduring topic in the forums. 

Am I the only one who enjoys a single beer every night and lets it ends there? 

I don't crawl the walls if I can't get it but I resent the ban nonetheless.

I have from a reliable source that sales of aftershave went through the roof in the past 2 weeks.

Mouthwash sales in contrast decreased by the same amount, as it was apparently not needed any more for some reason

14 minutes ago, Susco said:

I have from a reliable source that sales of aftershave went through the roof in the past 2 weeks.

Mouthwash sales in contrast decreased by the same amount, as it was apparently not needed any more for some reason

Ethyl alcohol, also known as ethanol or booze. Available widely here and likely much healthier choice than aftershave or Mouthwash. 140 proof no less. Much stronger than the 80 proof maximum sold here in liquor stores. 

Oops! Did I just start a trend? 

????

20200502_153204.jpg

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2020 at 12:43 AM, JohnBarleycorn said:

There is one more concern to be considered:

Almost all governments are now strongly encouraging social distancing, even Sweden is doing so.

And, as well, government health agencies have historically warned us about the risks involved with "solitary drinking".

But these days, we are told to refrain from engaging with others in the social setting due to the highly transmissible Wuhan Virus.

This might suggest that, if the ban were lifted, then people who were once social drinkers would soon turn into solitary drinkers, possibly leading to increased rates of alcohol abuse syndrome.  People might just sit in their rooms/homes all day, drinking by themselves to escape feelings of loneliness and isolation. Some might even drink themselves into a stupor.

This is why, in my view, drinking Chinese green tea is the best option among very few good options.

For another thing, we do know that alcohol consumption lowers the immune response.

Now is the time when we need our immune system in tip top shape.

Don't you agree?

No. 

5 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Ethyl alcohol, also known as ethanol or booze. Available widely here and likely much healthier choice than aftershave or Mouthwash. 140 proof no less. Much stronger than the 80 proof maximum sold here in liquor stores. 

Oops! Did I just start a trend? 

????

A litre of E85 fuel is cheaper and its easy to extract the ethanol !!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

but people will probably still drink the amounts they used to causing more drunkenness and deaths.

I doubt it. I think you're being a bit too dramatic.