Record ozone hole over Arctic in March now closed - U.N.

snoop1130

Record ozone hole over Arctic in March now closed - U.N.

fbg.PNG

FILE PHOTO: The sun sets over Arctic ice near the 2011 Applied Physics Laboratory Ice Station north of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska in this March 18, 2011 picture. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson (UNITED STATES - Tags: ENVIRONMENT)

GENEVA (Reuters) - Ozone depletion over the Arctic hit a “record level” in March, the biggest since 2011, but the hole has now closed, the U.N. World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Friday.

The springtime phenomenon in the northern hemisphere was driven by ozone-depleting substances still in the atmosphere and a very cold winter in the stratosphere, WMO spokeswoman Clare Nullis told a U.N. briefing in Geneva.

“These two factors combined to give a very high level of depletion which was worse than we saw in 2011. It’s now back to normal again ... the ozone hole has closed,” she said.

Nullis, asked whether less pollution during the pandemic had played a role, said: “It was completely unrelated to COVID.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-01

11 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

If you understand the GAIA concept the earth is a living organism, humanity is the disease, and covid-19 could be the cure. 

The earth is a self correcting planet

Maybe we have to plan for a complete 2 month shutdown of the earth every 10 years.

If it was planned it wouldn't be too bad

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

If you understand the GAIA concept the earth is a living organism, humanity is the disease, and covid-19 could be the cure. 

attention passengers this is captain crazy speaking i'll be your pilot for today. cruising altitude will be high as hell as i just blasted one on takeoff. enjoy your flight.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

The earth is a self correcting planet

Maybe we have to plan for a complete 2 month shutdown of the earth every 10 years.

If it was planned it wouldn't be too bad

this is not a totally crazy idea. very difficult to put into practice but i really think you have something there. 

28 minutes ago, johng said:

Remember when they where blaming refrigerator gasses for the ozone layer depletion and how it would be the end of life as we know it unless those gasses where eliminated...now its a natural yearly phenomenon

Yes, a recurring problem due to us.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Are you telling me, what took almost 120 years of an industrial revolution to create this huge ozone hole, it’s only taken a month to fix.

Next you will be telling me the ice is freezing right back up to what it was in the ice age.

Pull the other one govenor!

Edited by ianezy0
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

Are you telling me, what took almost 120 years of an industrial revolution to create this huge ozone hole, it’s only taken a month to fix.

Next you will be telling me the ice is freezing right back up to what it was in the ice age.

We are supposedly heading back to another ice age, despite global warming. All part of the bigger climate change. Only a matter of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

Now read the OP again please, because that is far from what was said or implied.

• Like 2

Funny story. I've been laughing about this since Al Gore ranted about there being a hole in the ozone layer. Earth and its atmosphere is highly complex. According to NASA, the ozone layer is 3 millimeters thick. Why would there NOT be a hole in the ozone layer on occasion? This ozone layer ranting has been funny ever since Al Gore fauxed outrage over there being a hole in it. Seriously, worry about a 3 millimeter thick layer coming and going in an atmosphere 7.5 miles thick? It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/facts/dobson_SH.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Funny story. I've been laughing about this since Al Gore ranted about there being a hole in the ozone layer. Earth and its atmosphere is highly complex. According to NASA, the ozone layer is 3 millimeters thick. Why would there NOT be a hole in the ozone layer on occasion? This ozone layer ranting has been funny ever since Al Gore fauxed outrage over there being a hole in it. Seriously, worry about a 3 millimeter thick layer coming and going in an atmosphere 7.5 miles thick? It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

The reflective surface on my sunglasses is around 0.2~0.3 of microns thick, and does a great job at reflecting harmful UV light away from my eyes.

You probably need to revisit some physics.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The reflective surface on my sunglasses is around 0.2~0.3 of microns thick, and does a great job at reflecting harmful UV light away from my eyes.

You probably need to revisit some physics.

That does nothing to refute the facts and logic I posted.

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

Finally, the ozone layer isn't 3 mm thick. If you concentrated all the ozone in one layer, yes, but it actually occurs at low concentrations in a layer 50 km in depth.

Fair point on the ozone layer. That said, it is how NASA presented the information.

Photograph of coins showing typical ozone levels

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well that’s what happens when you quote other people’s stuff you don’t understand.

Yeah, saying the ozone layer is 3mm thick when NASA says average ozone is 3mm was a huge error.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:09 PM, Captain Monday said:

Agree.

I got ship from a good few posters when I said individually we are a small part of the biggest disease that has infected the planet and nature, or ourselves, will rid the planet of us sooner or later.

• Like 2