Every other seat on aircraft to be left empty

banglay

Really, what has changed over the last decade or so ? How many times have you got on a plane feeling 110%, and by the time you got off several hours later your nose was running and you felt completely stuffed up ? Just part of being a participant in life ????

6 hours ago, banglay said:

16 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:
17 hours ago, banglay said:

Every other seat on aircrafts to be left empty for the next 18 mths //

Which country? Airline?

Source please? ... or just one more rumour?

read and make your own mind up .. But long & short haul flights will take a long time to recover if ever. and definitely will be more expensive ....

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200422-when-can-we-start-flying-again

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-04-24/coronavirus-travel-covid-19-will-change-airlines-and-how-we-fly

I have read both articles, and saw nothing about such restrictions for the next 18 months.

I don’t think all the airlines got the memo.  Recently NoK Air had jam packed domestic flight.  Also, in the US American Airlines did the same thing.  If an aircraft has 100 seats and the middle seat is left vacant then the max capacity of each flight would be less than 70%.  This could only mean one thing: higher fares.   Plus no drinks or snack on domestic flights.  Recently I saw YouTube video of a young lady taking a Korean Air flight from JFK to ICN.  The cabin was about 40% empty, each seat had a small bottle of hand sanitizer, the flight attendants all wore mask and had on gloves.  But the meal service was about the same.  Check in at JFK was quick and seamless but arrival at ICN looked like a scene from the Pandemic.  Even though the young lady was a Korean citizen she had to quarantine at home for 14 days.  

In short, flying is going to be a “pain in the ass”.  We will have to get to the airport really early to go thorough the additional screening and slow walk through check in and slow walk the boarding process. 

I plan on taking one international flight this year and even though I bought a round trip ticket it could end being a one way journey.  LOS was fun but I am making backup plans to not be able to return.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Useless symbolic action taking. Allow or forbid!

Allowing people stuffed into a metal tube for x hours with circulating air.

Allowing people crowding at Makro market (like experienced yesterday).

Forcing people to crowded queues for food and money donation.

At the same time keeping huge home stores closed where you often walk alone through the aisles.

I don't think there is any good scientific data that travel in a plane itself is danger, but the air is cleaner than outside air for airborn particles. Not clean room is a disk drive factory pure. Something like an operating suite in a hospital. Obviously if you have somebody coughing on you that is not good but it wouldn't be good on a bus either.

Social distancing on aircraft is a non- starter. Other risk mitagation will be employed.

• Like 1

I was very lucky on my latest flight to Bkk from Auckland on 13 march,just before the lockdowns.

My stopover left from Sydney,plane only 30% full.

I had 4 seats to myself in the middle row= best flight ever.

Was Qantas at normal cost.

27 minutes ago, murraynz said:

I was very lucky on my latest flight to Bkk from Auckland on 13 march,just before the lockdowns.

My stopover left from Sydney,plane only 30% full.

I had 4 seats to myself in the middle row= best flight ever.

Was Qantas at normal cost.

My last flight was a domestic in Japan about 25 people on a 767.

The one before that San Fran to Narita. Business Class. Couldn't see anybody unless I got up and walked around. A sparse tray of wrapped food and mini bottles of cheap wine all on offer. Breakfast was a freaking Hot Dog in a oven proof paper bag! It was good and had some decent mustard! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Other idea: all passengers put in those suites :cheesy:

I sent this picture to mates in Germany and they asked me whether this is a joke/photo-shop.

Ok, keep on the face masks/protectors, in lieu of shirts above the knees and see through shirts. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

If this happens and prices go through the roof ,very very few people will travel ,so the airlines will get even less money ,take me for example i go back to the UK once a year ,about 600 quid , up the price to say 1200 ,i wont go back ,how many thousands are like me? 

Just go back every 2 years.

All well and good doing every other seat which at max is only about 70cm....so bang goes the two metres distancing.....but what about every other isle.....people behind and Infront are barely 50cm away....

16 hours ago, IamRoach said:

It's pointless and silly, leaving every other seat empty does nothing. If you want to be precise there needs to be 1.5 meters between each person which would be impossible as you would have a plane occupancy of 20%. Only logical option is to provide masks for each passenger and ask them to wear it for the duration of the flight (unlikely that would last long either)

Jet Blue  airlines in US have already stated  that when they resume operations domesticlally soon all passengers and staff must wear masks for entire flight.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jetblue-becomes-first-airline-require-passengers-wear-masks-n1194091

Edited by Tony125

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I have read both articles, and saw nothing about such restrictions for the next 18 months.

From the BBC link.....

"“Right now, we need it, because not doing so would contradict instructions from authorities and common sense. The urgent need to slow infection rates takes precedence overall, even if the solution is not perfect,”"

From that I take that what we're doing now is for now......this WILL evolve over time -just don't know quite how yet.

And, IMO when the time comes that a vaccine is available to all, I suspect that a prerequisite of getting visas for some countries will be a vaccination certificate - maybe even airlines will adopt it - who knows.  Anyone else remember when you absolutely needed a Yellow Fever cert for some countries?

It would also mean that anyone allowed into an airport would pose no risk to others - at present that is seen as a problem 

"Social distancing does not work in any form of public transport, let alone aviation,....." (link)

And on a purely personal (OK selfish) note, I'm glad I fly Business - the distancing there on, say an Emirates A380 is almost automatic! ????

Edited by VBF

Damrongsak 

I certainly hope what you wrote is mean't to be a joke ? 

If not I can tell you about aircraft airflow, filtering, oxygen levels, compression, height if you would like ? 

I wrote long ago that the days of dropping halfway around the world for an 8 day holiday is over

unless you are super rich. (Good for the planet, maybe ? the wealthy persons carbon footprint will double though

• Like 1

My wife and i have booked and paid for 3 tickets since Feb, all cancelled now, 2 of the trips expensive. All cancelled by airline and no offer of refund yet for any of them and no communication telling what they will do to address this. Suffice to say, last flights with that airline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:
On 5/1/2020 at 4:33 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Which country? Airline?

Source please? ... or just one more rumour?

Of course there will non available seats on every airplane. How many is the question.

My remark was not about the non-available seats, of course,

but about the "18 months" period...

BTW "during 18 mths" was also in the title on this thread yesterday when I replied

3 days ago test booking with Eva & Thai , London to BK 20th July out back 14 Aug , both around £1000 but I for one would not be making any booking until this virus vanishes or is under control bwo a vaccine .

On 5/1/2020 at 9:44 PM, sirineou said:

Beautiful Blond sitting in first class, is told by the stewart that she does not have a first class ticket and should bo back to her seat in economy

Blond says " I am blond and beautiful , I am staying  in first class and I going to Thailand " and does not move

Stewart calls the head stewart to talk to her.

Blond says to head stewart " I am blond and beautiful  I am staying  in first class and going to Thailand "and will not move

Not knowing what to do the head stewart asks the pilot for advice .

The pilot goes back and whispers something in the blonds ear, at which point the blond jumps up and  hurries back to her seat in economy 

Curious the steward asks the pilot what did he tell her?

Well , the pilot says I told her that first class does not go to Thailand!!????

So if the co pilot is blond, he can not seat in first class. 

Whos Stewart?

3 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Whos Stewart?

The name of the steward 

by the time I noticed the spell check correction it was too late to Edit , so everyone who works on that plane is named Stewart. 

• Haha 1

Another vote here for social distancing on planes not being a long term solution, from Sir Tim Clark of Emirates.

The idea of reconfiguring planes, removing seats on planes or permanently factoring in spacing requirements in the future – in line with social distancing measures – is untenable and not sustainable, Mr Clark said.

https://www.thenational.ae/business/aviation/emirates-tim-clark-coronavirus-is-a-black-swan-event-for-the-airline-industry-1.1015208