THAI to cut costs by selling decommissioned jet-liners

rooster59

25 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Just imagine how cheap they will have to be to sell them now.

HS-TGR

Before: https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/boeing-747-400-hs-tgr-thai-airways-international/e9w183

After: 15°11'26.7"N 100°09'14.3"E  Chai Nat

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15%C2%B011'26.7%22N+100%C2%B009'14.3%22E/@15.1906909,100.1535552,270m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d15.1907368!4d100.1539764

HS-TGR.jpg

• Like 2

Pardon me if this seems naïve, but is the original article saying the aircraft which are decommissioned are none-the-less retained?

It's probably me not understanding the subliminal beauty and cunning of Thai knowledge and experience, but why would any airline not sell decommissioned aircraft?

2 hours ago, peter14 said:

The stupidity at it's best as always.. 

I really hope TAT read thai visa comments..

They don't. Comments on TVF are in English so they can't.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Should that be: Fly one get one free?

(sorry!)

Even worse, just recently there seemed to have been more attention to seriously changing the management team in an effort to come up with better, more innovative, more realistic people; and the first think they offer is 'sell the old aircraft'.

Back to square one, no that's not even true, back to before square one.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

something else they can crash into the Korat mountains, or leave to rot on the ground as no one is competent to fly them.

There are a couple of alternative uses for them.  First, the RTAF could use them for target practice in part because they are too large to miss.  Second, if any movie company is making a movie that involves many planes that get destroyed for whatever reason, they would be ideal.  Remember when The Battle of Britain was made, the film company scoured the complete world buying every WWII German and British planes they could get their hands on.  Many damaged or totally useless aircraft were used during the opening scenes and when airfields were attacked.  Third, strip them and sell them as spare parts.  There are also many other ways they can be used.

'nuf sed.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

you see the thing about selling aircraft is you need proper maintenance records or they are almost worthless. 

Come on, I'm sure it's just typical Thai maintenance. Wait for it to break and then wonder what to do for six months.

And 747's are not worth <deleted> anymore, every airline seems to be dropping them and the only new ones are used for cargo. 

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yep, I can see the headlines now, 'THAI AIR FORCE STARTS NEW AIRLINE', military and family, retired and serving 99% discount and priority for bus. and first class seats.

What a great idea...

But wait up, this idea has been floated several times before, and failed.

Indeed...the "Blimp" was also floated several times and failed !

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

No doubt some will end up here in Victorville Ca, for a nice retirement with their friends in the desert.

Those bored members at Thai Airways need to wake up and smell the cold coffee. The party's over gentlemen, it's not going back to the old ways. 

Victorville Aircraft Storage

I see there also is plenty of space still to dump the entire Thai Airways board.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JAG said:

It does sound as if they are trying to get out of the aircraft owning scene, and concentrate on leasing.

However - it is not exactly a sellers market at the moment, or for the foreseeable future. Their track record on selling surplus aircraft (A340s) is not exactly good.

Maybe they'll just park them up and let them rot like the old A340s that they wouldn't sell for less than what they paid. THAI will either have to accept the market price (or best offer), keep the planes in service or scrap them.

3 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Before anything happens the entire board need to go.

Good article here with quotes from Chamsri Sukchotrat, the former president of the Thai Airways Union.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/former-union-leader-calls-for-total-overhaul-at-thai-airways

She will be subjected to 'Attitude Adjustment' forthwith !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

And therein lies the problem. An international search for the best qualified CEO to run an airline would almost certainly not find a Thai citizen. It would be impossible for Thais to accept a foreigner to lead their flag carrier airline as a commercial entity. Until that happens it will be business as usual and repeated bailouts...

Hey! If it is good enough for QANTAS to have an Irish guy who cannot say 33 then ...

Edited by DoctorG
missed a word

9 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Good luck selling those with the current situation. Most people will be too scared to sit on a train let alone a plane after the blatant media scaremongering.

Me Thinks the Plane Grave Yard in Arizona Desert will be the only Property in the world Connected to all Aviation will be expanding greatly as Thai and several dozen Airlines Dump their Aircraft in order to downsize

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I think the RTAF did buy one (1) A340-500 from TG back in 2016.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/46388-royal-thai-air-force-acquires-an-a340

HS-TYV | Airbus A340-541

https://www.planespotters.net/photos/fleet/Royal-Thai-Air-Force/Airbus/A340-500

Seen often at MUC.

Flew on this model, BKK-JFK, direct non-stop (award in J), 17-ish hours.

hs-tyv-royal-thai-air-force-airbus-a340-541_PlanespottersNet_982910_f89225df52_o.jpg

HS-TYV flew over me twice last week while I was on my bike in Pakkret. The 2nd time it was going from DMK to UTP.

leave them sitting around for long enough; and they could end up having the most highly practiced fireys 

- well practiced, but after that's done -  no more work...

640px-Tinker_AFB_tornado_damage_2.jpg?1588407334142

I suspect that there is a fairly active market for both the 772s and 773s... the 772s I’ll bet is more for parts than as an intact airframe... the 773s I’ll bet can still be sold as an intact airframe to smaller market or regional carriers or even charter ACMI (aircraft, crew, maintenance & insurance) outfits. 

a lot of this will depend on the number of cycles on each frame/gears, engines and their time, plus maintenance schedules and associated parts that come with the sale.

There’s still a fairly active market for mid-age 744s that have undergone conversion from passenger to cargo - aka the 747-400BCF.  
(BCF = Boeing Converted Freighter)

However, this alone isn’t going to do it.. after all, it’s my opinion that you can’t really “save” your way into profitability... this will help drive down their direct operating costs - lower maintenance costs as well as fuel use- but that’s just a small part of the total cost-side picture.  They’ll have to look other parts such as employee efficiencies, staffing levels across the company, etc.

Regardless of all that, they still have to address the revenue side...   that’s not just fares, but also ancillary revenue, outsourced services revenue, etc.

but the disposition of those aged airframes is most definitely a positive move and one that - if handled correctly - can still be nett positive for TG.  (If I were TG, I’d use an outside 3rd party firm to handle the sale like ILFC or Air Lease Corp who I recall, both handle 3rd party sales)

Edited by new2here

THAI to "cut costs" by selling decommissioned jet-liners ?

Well, it's been over a decade now, and you still seem to be struggling with simple calculus.

How about rethinking the simple problem, and throwing in this equation for an answer - whereby :-

A = Break even

B = Make a profit

THAI to (A or B) by felling commissioned pocket-liners.