USB 2TB flash drive

fvw53

I bought in the past external hard disk (4 Gb) for the storage of my video and movies and I could connect this - for play back - to the USB port of my old TV.

Now that my new Smart TV does not accept large volume HD  for play back I have transferred some video and movie files to a 16 Gb flash drive and this works well.

As I wanted to buy from a large Thai online supplier I noticed they have 2 Tb flash drives for less than 400 Baht (much cheaper than similar external hard disk)

Has any TVF member tried this and can such 2 Tb flash drive play back video when plugged in on Smart TV?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

As I wanted to buy from a large Thai online supplier I noticed they have 2 Tb flash drives for less than 400 Baht (much cheaper than similar external hard disk)

I would not buy those most likely fake ....  Western Digital  1 TB hard drive is about 900 baht no ifs or buts

100% legit.

• Like 2

Western Digital or Sandisk or Kingston all good.

I've just ordered https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NHBV6PE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my car player and/or TV Naturally other capacities are available. 

1 tip.......WHATEVER HDD or Flash drive you buy.....REFORMAT it before use.

They come factory formatted but they're not formatted on computer as such - if there are bad areas, as the drive fills up, it CAN start to error and lose data - not saying it will but it is possible.

If you format it on Windows (NOT Quick format) there will be an error check performed and bad areas will be flagged.  I presume the same applies to Unix  - anyone care to confirm?

Edited by VBF

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

LAZADA is a snake pit of fakes. Some like this 2 TB for 400 Baht are easy to spot.

Yeah, you'd think it would be easy for Lazada to write an algorithm to flag those impossible deals and keep them from even appearing.  If an XXX GB USB chip or SD card is selling for less than XXX Baht, it's a scam.  What, maybe 10 minutes of coding?  (Okay, an hour or two.  But it's such a widespread and well known scam, that they should be crucified for letting it go on)

Maybe it's on their list of things to do after they fix their dysfunctional search function...  If so, I'm not holding my breath. 

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I will take a gamble with this here (not much money to loose) :                                                                                     https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sandisk-pen-drive-usb-flash-drive-usb-30-san-disk-64gb-usb-stick-pendrive-30-32gb-u-disk-cz48-usb-key-128gb-extreme-flashdisk-i972876993-s2080162284.html?mp=1   

8 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

I will take a gamble with this here (not much money to loose) :                                                                                     https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sandisk-pen-drive-usb-flash-drive-usb-30-san-disk-64gb-usb-stick-pendrive-30-32gb-u-disk-cz48-usb-key-128gb-extreme-flashdisk-i972876993-s2080162284.html?mp=1   

I wouldn't touch it.  They're counting on people figuring there's not much to lose and it's a nuisance to pursue a chargeback through Lazada...  210 baht is 1/2 day's wages for some in SEA.

Quick search on Amazon shows the going price for 256GB is around $40 and up.  If they're selling for 1/10 that on Lazada, good luck when you reach the actual size limit (and not the doctored size limit you'll see when you plug it in)

Edit: And shame on Lazada for not flagging it, taking it down, and banning the vendor for life.  And any other vendor posting from the same IP address.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Complete nonsense fake.

You better invest in an original Patek Philipe watch for 3000 Baht or so.

A bargain compared to the > 10000 USD/EUR prices elsewhere :tongue:

LAZADA is a snake pit of fakes. Some like this 2 TB for 400 Baht are easy to spot.

But I have a 256 GB Micro card that was only 250 baht and it works well. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

But I have a 256 GB Micro card that was only 250 baht and it works well. 

How much have you put on it?  Don't look at the capacity that shows up in Windows.  That can be doctored.

There's many threads and YouTubes about them.  They are doctored to show whatever capacity the vendor wants when you plug them in.  And they work fine until you reach the real capacity.  Then you can't put anything else on them.  And usually, by the time someone fills it up, it's way too late to ask for a refund.

Of course, I stand to be corrected, but when the cheap 256GB cards sell for $40 and up on Amazon, I doubt an $8 chip is the real deal.

Edit:  I'd add that I bought a few cheap SD cards in Chinatown one day a few years back, and they behaved exactly as I described.  They showed 128GB capacity, but wouldn't take any more than 8GB when I tried to load them up.  Live and learn...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, impulse said:

How much have you put on it?  Don't look at the capacity that shows up in Windows.  That can be doctored.

Without having filled up and compared with original files you are never sure.

See Crossy's post.

Those fakes will always show correct size and even worse show correct copy procedure and entry to file system.

It might even work correct up to the real size of the media.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Yeah, you'd think it would be easy for Lazada to write an algorithm to flag those impossible deals and keep them from even appearing.

I accidentally stumbled upon the wrist watch section and was puzzled.

Pattaya beach rd. is a fair market place in comparison.

But still it is so obvious if you have the slightest idea about the original.

Much worse: health products, pet supplies, where it is often much more difficult to see.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

H2testw is the defacto standard for detecting fake drives, download it here https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Excellent test site but the testing takes a very long time, at least it did last year when I needed to verify that some 256gb SD cards I bought off Lazada were phony.  It needs to write to every sector as I understand it.  It took 2 hours for a 256gb SD card, can't imagine how long for 2TB.

On 5/4/2020 at 5:20 PM, impulse said:

There's many threads and YouTubes about them.  They are doctored to show whatever capacity the vendor wants when you plug them in.  And they work fine until you reach the real capacity.  Then you can't put anything else on them.  And usually, by the time someone fills it up, it's way too late to ask for a refund.

Of course, I stand to be corrected, but when the cheap 256GB cards sell for $40 and up on Amazon, I doubt an $8 chip is the real deal.

Edit:  I'd add that I bought a few cheap SD cards in Chinatown one day a few years back, and they behaved exactly as I described.  They showed 128GB capacity, but wouldn't take any more than 8GB when I tried to load them up.  Live and learn...

See my comment above about formatting and also remember there's a difference between formatted and unformatted capacity - lots to read about that on the 'net

Edited by VBF

10 minutes ago, VBF said:

See my comment above about formatting and also remember there's a difference between formatted and unformatted capacity - lots to read about that on the 'net

Sure, there are differences between formatted capacity and unformatted, and there will be bad sectors.  But that's not the topic.  The topic is plain old fraud. 

Regardless of how you format it, pad printing "2TB" on an 8GB chip, selling it in a blister that says "2TB", and tricking Windows into showing 2TB capacity when you plug it in- doesn't make it a 16GB chip, much less 2TB. 

• Like 1

You can buy such fakes on eBay. It is as said here - they will show the promoted size in Windows but actually have only a fraction of it in reality. If you want to be able to use them normally you have to create a partition with the actual size (the real fraction) and write your data there. Otherwise you will lose data because you will write data to areas that don't exist. On eBay you will get your money back for sure and you can keep the fake. Just open a case and the buyer protection will work for you. 

Before I buy anything I research on amazon to see prices and reviews.

2 TB storage in SSD goes for 1000$ on amazon not 10 bucks. Plus its always good idea buy brand name on amazon and have 30 days money back back up.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 14.18.53.png

I purchased the drive on the left, but to get a look at it. It is, of course, completely fake. But it is interesting that the drive reports to the OS that it has a 2TB capacity. And it will appear to function properly, although the read/write rates are the worst I have ever seen. But eventually, it does begin to fail, as demonstrated in the video that @topt referenced.

11 minutes ago, timendres said:

I purchased the drive on the left, but to get a look at it. It is, of course, completely fake. But it is interesting that the drive reports to the OS that it has a 2TB capacity. And it will appear to function properly, although the read/write rates are the worst I have ever seen. But eventually, it does begin to fail, as demonstrated in the video that @topt referenced.

721 mostly positive reviews. Very bad that such a fraud is allowed to take place. As a wrote before - you can order such fakes on eBay and you will get your money back without any problems. I ordered some just for fun. If you create a partition on the fake with the real size you can use it. 

2 minutes ago, Oldie said:

721 mostly positive reviews. Very bad that such a fraud is allowed to take place. As a wrote before - you can order such fakes on eBay and you will get your money back without any problems. I ordered some just for fun. If you create a partition on the fake with the real size you can use it. 

Here is my review: (being able to leave the review was part of my motivation for buying it)

1854747168_2TBDriveReview.jpg.2c4f717730a29d264a159193d0066f43.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:49 PM, Oldie said:

On eBay you will get your money back for sure and you can keep the fake. Just open a case and the buyer protection will work for you. 

That may be true now but it sure was not a few years ago when I had such an issue (fake brand product) - I reported seller - they removed seller - they then advised as seller was not part of Ebay they could take no action.  That ended my Ebay use.

20 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Just out of interest can you post reviews like that on Lazada. How does it stand with Thailand's defamation laws, even though his views are quite valid.

No you can't . You see at the bottom in Red , " Review Rejected " .

I have put in a strong bad review before , ( not as strong as the one shown ) and mine also got rejected. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:19 AM, Oldie said:

many years ago, i signed up on paypal in order to buy from ebay,

i never got the object and never got repaid either.

after that i tried in vane to cancel paypal account

until by chance it got auto cancelled, i guess because new visa card,

and i wont be buying from ebay again

44 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

many years ago, i signed up on paypal in order to buy from ebay,

i never got the object and never got repaid either.

after that i tried in vane to cancel paypal account

until by chance it got auto cancelled, i guess because new visa card,

and i wont be buying from ebay again

You have to follow the eBay procedure and open a case within a certain time. I ordered a lot on eBay and always got my money back immediately. Cases were broken items (I didn't accept a resend because some sellers use this to get over the time restrictions where you get your money back), fake items, not delivered items or items delivered too late. In the last case I received the item long after the delivery date and so in the end got it for free. One item even arrived about 1 year too late. I gave it the status not delivered a year earlier.

This all was with the eBay buyer protection only. PayPal provides an additional protection but I never needed it.