UK to place all incoming travellers under 14-day quarantine: The Times

rooster59

8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I first saw reports of a 14 day quarantine being introduced for those arriving in the UK in the online versions of the Daily Mail and the Mirror at the beginning of April while my wife and I were in Thailand. 

On arriving at LHR on 28th April we were very surprised to walk through immigration with no health checks at all; not even our temperatures being taken.

So I'll believe this latest report when it happens.

But I have to wonder why Boris and his boss Cummings did not introduce this measure long ago. They delayed lockdown and social distancing for far too long, and have delayed this even longer. 

The really bizarre thing about this is that the intention is to start the self isolating at the end of May!  There will be 300 international flights arriving in the UK today with about the same number every day.  So what about the thousands of people arriving before the end of May?  It beggars belief! Now that the country have enough testing kits to test over 100,000 people a day then why don't they just test those arriving instead?

It does seem that the government is floundering!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Didn't think the young sunbathed at all these days.  I thought they all used fake tan.  Do still see the odd one on a BMX though, you should ride yours if you enjoy it.  I never rode a bicycle in Thailand, too hot for all that strenuous exercise. 

I rode around the war cemetries in Kanchanaburi in 2014 during the aftermath of the coup. Yes, it quite hot to be riding a bicycle, but I think when/if they allow tourists back in, I might buy a bicycle to ride around on.

9 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The really bizarre thing about this is that the intention is to start the self isolating at the end of May!  There will be 300 international flights arriving in the UK today with about the same number every day.  So what about the thousands of people arriving before the end of May?  It beggars belief! Now that the country have enough testing kits to test over 100,000 people a day then why don't they just test those arriving instead?

It does seem that the government is floundering!

This government is a one trick pony and it's Brexit. They have been useless in this crisis, too slow to react, bad decisions, testing targets which were met briefly. There doesn't seem to be any strategy, the lockdown is not really a lockdown, so pointless and it always was going to be unenforceable.

I arrived back on 25th March and there was a guy standing around with some leaflets just before passport control at LHR. I have to praise Thailand for the thermal scanners at airports, but they have gone totally OTT with it and caused a lot of Thai people to suffer.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Still to be confirmed. Call me cynical, but floating the idea to get some reaction was the intention, and now they have it, it will be watered down significantly.  Decimating the airline, airport, tourist and supply industries with an ineffectual policy (which might have worked 2 months ago), might be Thai style, but hopefully wiser British heads will prevail.

I for one hope you're correct but fear you're not!

We shall find out on Sunday evening.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I arrived back on 25th March and there was a guy standing around with some leaflets just before passport control at LHR. I have to praise Thailand for the thermal scanners at airports, but they have gone totally OTT with it and caused a lot of Thai people to suffer.

My wife arrived back from Thailand about the same time as you in March.  She said the same thing.  When I asked about people on the flight wearing masks she said when she boarded the flight in Bangkok it was only really Thai people wearing them.  Most of them took them off on the flight and when they came through arrivals at Heathrow about half had put them back on again. She didn't. Hardly any farangs were wearing them at all.

Last week I was talking to a Spanish friend of mine in Madrid and he said that the Spanish government's response was all wrong and had caused many unnecessary deaths.  I guess we will all have an axe to grind over this whatever country we come from!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

their scientific advisors advised it would make no difference to the numbers so they didnt at the time

Really?

Cummings and his puppet only listened to the scientific advisors who were telling them what they wanted to hear. They ignored the rest.

We scientists said lock down. But UK politicians refused to listen

For 11 fateful days in March, the government ignored the best coronavirus advice. It must learn from that mistake

They also ignored the fact that most similar countries, including the USA, did not fall for the 'herd immunity' ballocks being touted by Cummings' scientific advisors and introduced proper measures long before our government did.

As this topic shows, unlike virtually all other countries, the incompetent in No. 10 and his crew still haven't introduced any restrictions for those entering the UK.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Now that the country have enough testing kits to test over 100,000 people a day then why don't they just test those arriving instead?

Because those kits should be used to regularly test those most at risk: NHS and other health workers.

Healthcare workers 'should be screened for Covid-19 every week'

Unfortunately, only those displaying symptoms are tested; even though patients are infectious before symptoms appear. This is because, despite Hancock's 'assurances,' we do not have enough kits to test even all of those, let alone the approx. 800,000 kits a week needed to regularly test every healthcare worker.

So testing arrivals is out; simply not enough kits.

23 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

My wife arrived back from Thailand about the same time as you in March.  She said the same thing.  When I asked about people on the flight wearing masks she said when she boarded the flight in Bangkok it was only really Thai people wearing them.  Most of them took them off on the flight and when they came through arrivals at Heathrow about half had put them back on again. She didn't. Hardly any farangs were wearing them at all.

Last week I was talking to a Spanish friend of mine in Madrid and he said that the Spanish government's response was all wrong and had caused many unnecessary deaths.  I guess we will all have an axe to grind over this whatever country we come from!

My flight was full, mostly Brits and I noticed the opposite, 75% had masks on. It was a nice flight, good atmosphere, it was same with the masks 50% took them off and put them back on when at infected LHR lol.

I thought Boris was funny back in the day, but he is not Churchill material.

4 hours ago, twix38 said:

Uk been hit harder than Thailand but i am much happier here in UK. IF I caught it then better treatment and no massive hospital bill. Relief. Personally I am now much happier.

Actually, all foreigners get free treatments for Covid19 at government hospitals. I'm not sure about private hospitals, but in most cases, if patients are tested positive, they will be mandatorily transferred to designated government hospitals for hospitalization to receive necessarily treatments at no cost at all. There are already plenty of foreigners received free treatments and discharged from hospitals, no charge. I don't know if you can choose to get treatment at luxurious private hospitals or must be transferred to government hospital.

Edited by sitti

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Well i was intending to go and visit my daughter ,but thats out pointless sitting in the house for two weeks then having a few days out before i catch a plane back home . sorry Emirates one less customer

Which flights would you have taken back to Thailand? - there aren't any and the Thai border are still locked down for incoming foreigners.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which flights would you have taken back to Thailand? - there aren't any and the Thai border are still locked down for incoming foreigners.

well i would not have flown until i could come back obviously, even if it meant quarantine here ,thats no problem.????

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

A day late and a quid short in'it?... remind me a the shutting the barn's doors after the horses has bolted saying...

As usual , also checked out 80% scheme as usual I don't qualify even though I worked for last 20 years , they always say we got this gov scheme or that but when you try to get funds you cannot 

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

A day late and a quid short in'it?... remind me a the shutting the barn's doors after the horses has bolted saying...

As usual , also checked out 80% scheme as usual I don't qualify even though I worked for last 20 years , they always say we got this gov scheme or that but when you try to get funds you cannot 

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I guess that's why as it was reported today that some UK hospitals were putting infected patients back into care homes - to ensure death and virus spread (alternate reasons defy explanation)

Nought wrong with that matey , golden oldies , three score and ten , more than enough ..

Join in the chorus , we,ll meet again etc,  thx Dame Vera..

Edited by elliss

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Really?

Cummings and his puppet only listened to the scientific advisors who were telling them what they wanted to hear. They ignored the rest.

We scientists said lock down. But UK politicians refused to listen

They also ignored the fact that most similar countries, including the USA, did not fall for the 'herd immunity' ballocks being touted by Cummings' scientific advisors and introduced proper measures long before our government did.

As this topic shows, unlike virtually all other countries, the incompetent in No. 10 and his crew still haven't introduced any restrictions for those entering the UK.

There are many reports of where CUMMINGS PUSHED SAGE FOR EARLIER LOCKDOWN and that they were thinking of delaying a lockdown for 1 more week

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Because those kits should be used to regularly test those most at risk: NHS and other health workers.

Unfortunately, only those displaying symptoms are tested; even though patients are infectious before symptoms appear. This is because, despite Hancock's 'assurances,' we do not have enough kits to test even all of those, let alone the approx. 800,000 kits a week needed to regularly test every healthcare worker.

Well according to the health secretary they are now heading towards a capability of 200,000 tests a day.  Given that they tend to be testing less than 80,000 a day I would say that it would be prudent to use the resources better than they are.  It is to do with people coming forward to be tested and that is where there appears to be why there is a short fall.

Of course this is all about who and what we can believe, because there is a lot of ducking and diving going on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

They had to get all the low paid East European fruit pickers and agricultural workers in first!

Britain too lazy to answer the farmers pleas for help.

It's nothing to do with being lazy

Do you understand the difficulties of seasonal work & universal credit?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Quite.

Around 50,000 coronavirus test samples had to be sent from the UK to the US after “operational issues” in the lab network led to delays in the system.

The news came as the number of daily coronavirus tests fell below health secretary Matt Hancock’s 100,000 target for a seventh day in a row.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-tests-uk-problems-target-fail-lab-system-delay-a9507011.html

• Like 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Upon arrival in the UK I rented a small property and self isolated for 14 days before moving to my sisters house. 

I wonder if these measures specify that ‘quarantine’ means house bound for 14 days without going out etc.

While I self isolated in the UK I managed to get out to a Supermarket twice to get food & essentials.

Still a bit vague.

"People arriving in the UK would have to self-isolate at a private residence.

Government and aviation sources told BBC News that the quarantine would mean people might be expected to provide an address when they arrive at the border.

It is not clear how long the new travel restriction would be in place and whether non-UK residents would be allowed to stay in rented private accommodation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52594023

15 hours ago, VBF said:

I for one hope you're correct but fear you're not!

We shall find out on Sunday evening.....

Think it is fairly obvious your fears will come to pass.

Aviation minister Kelly Tolhurst is expected to clarify the policy to airline and airport representatives in a conference call scheduled for Sunday morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52594023

17 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

International football is finished, no need for concerts, royalty won't be going where. Welcome to the new world, sealed borders, no fun, no pubs, over pompous zealots enforcing petty social distancing rules.

Boris the buffoon is reactive, pointless is doing a 14 day quarantine now, no thermal scanners anywhere, no guidance on masks and still dithering on an exit.

Closed pubs, open borders.  Wonder how many "refugees" the UK and US are taking in that they're not telling us about

There has to be more to this than meets the eye . Even a child would ask why start the 14 day quaranteen now instead of 6 weeks ago . The government cannot be that stupid or naive , can they ? 

I am disappointed and confused with the virus fatalities and infection rates in the UK . Even as I write the deaths are in the 600s range and infections at 4000 per day .  The lockdown has not worked and why should it when the UK airports arrivals of thousands per day were not checked for the virus  , many people out to so called exercising , people out daily shopping when ever they liked .

The UK population have had enough of the so called lockdown especially as the weather warms up and it would seem that the " Herd Immunity "  is going to happen naturally and I fear this plague has a long way to run yet .