Exactly WHO has ripped you off,who has tried to borrow money?

Time and time again we read on these forums to avoid other farang or they or certain farang are scammers,trying to borrow money or rip you off.

I forget what they call it in Psychology ,is it called conditioning,now where if you read it or hear it you believe it but it has never happened to you but you fear it because everyone tells you it happens...but never happened to them in reality 

But....have you ever actually had that experience with other farang or just like me you are hearing this and believing it ? based all on heresay ?

I will regret back in August 2018 my behaviour when a farang a fellow Aussie in pattaya got out of a taxi and asked me directions, he told me he had been ignored by a few farangs walking past ,anyway he then asked me where I was from and tried to create small talk, I quickly said I had to go and scampered off, all because he may try to rip me off ,scam me,asked to borrow money …….never had it had it happen to me....but...I read on these forums and heard guys in bars say be wary because they could try to borrow money and give you a poor story etc etc...….so begs the question and please be honest.....has it ever ever happened to you in Thailand ?

has a farang stranger ever asked you to lend money...tried to scam you...rip you off ….really?...…or is it just what you read,hear so you start believing it ?

Bit like my boss telling me not to travel to a certain area because its so dangerous,on questioning him,he has never been there or even been robbed there,just what everyone says so he believes it.

and in all the 20 years travelling to all of Thailand I can honestly say I have never ever been asked to lend another farang money nor been scammed or ripped off by another farang .

So be honest,have you ever been ripped off,scammed or asked to lend money to another farang in Thailand or are you too believing and fearing what you hear ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

in all the 20 years travelling to all of Thailand I can honestly say I have never ever been asked to lend another farang money nor been scammed or ripped off by another farang "

Ditto, but 15 yrs for me.

Read about it on here, but thats about the extent of it.

"Stories" and no actual real experience.

• Like 2

A Hungarian who was the boyfriend of the wifes friend asked me to lend him small amounts and always paid it back

After a few years their kid got sick and I lent them enough to pay the hospital and never got that back next thing he's done done a runner with my money and left his girlfriend she promised to pay it back but never did

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

yes, a falang wanted to borrow, i cant recall 2-500 thb,

he offered his watch as collateral, and in hindsight i should have taken the watch in collateral, cause i never heard or saw him again.

to put in perspective there is dozens of thais i lost money on, so the caution of falangs here is odd,

but, old falangs can really be time wasters like no one else, tho that probably comes down to age and got nothing to do with nationality

Edited by brokenbone
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I've been in Thailand for more than 10 years, and reading this post is the first time I've ever heard of farang asking for money or ripping people off. 

There's good and bad people in every society, and walk of life, and there's also people who may need help. 

There are also people who would never help a fellow human being, and there are people who are glad to help. 

That's what makes us different to any other species on the planet. 

Its called humanity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the only time any foreigner has ever approached me asking for money was in Pattaya - he was American and just approached me saying "Please tell me you're American" - I explained that I'm not. He said he needed cash and he had a watch he seemed to want to sell. He kept saying "I just need a hotel name" like he wanted me to say where I was staying. I just told him I was sorry and only have a bit of cash, so I just gave him 500baht. 

Heh, I got three stories. I'll leave out too many details.

1) I've been offered for sale things from farangs I later found to be scams.

2) I've tried selling things to farangs they nit picked every little thing on, expecting me to cave in. Nah, go buy it in a shop for full price then.

3) I had farangs tell me to message some chick on Line who had something for sale, to aid in their conquest of her. But don't worry, I didn't really have to buy it. Uh-huh.

In all cases, I believed them to be taking advantage of a level of trust they believed I had in them, just because we're both farangs. I soon learned it should take more than that.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
oops
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Keep well clear of the "financial advisers" in Thailand hiding behind their suits and company names! I could go into detail but will refrain for obvious reasons! If there is a decent and honest one - in my experience - NO

Agreed, rather buy a second hand car than deal with these parasites!!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Keep well clear of the "financial advisers" in Thailand hiding behind their suits and company names! I could go into detail but will refrain for obvious reasons! If there is a decent and honest one - in my experience - NO

The strange combination of people with great business ideas but with no money - I met many of them when I still was working. I never listened to them... 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Exactly WHO has ripped you off, who has tried to borrow money?

Not many people in many countries and places in the world where I've been, shot at yeah, attempted muggings yeah etc but never in Thailand.

Why are you always posting trying to make Thailand look bad now there's flinging question for you. ?

I don't tend to loan, I give, if it comes back fine, if not already written off anyway

Once I threw a little at a money making scheme invited by a farang friend, went pear shaped, irritating at the time but no big deal

Solved any further issues by handing the finances over to my wife when we married, she is better with money, we consult, she asks my advice, the final decision will be hers, she is very careful with our money ???? and I never get asked for a loan, thus never accused of refusing ????

I am personally aware of many of my friends ripped off by a fellow "friend".  For very real money.  I am also very aware of people I don't know being ripped off by various scams in Pattaya over the years.  

Doesn't mean I won't stop and help a stranger out with directions or local knowledge advice.  I'm pretty sure I can recognize when the scam is started.  Oh and yes, I personally have been approached by farangs that just need taxi money etc due to unforeseen events or something to eat or whatever.  They are minor scams.  

Plus the local scams like the indian swami telling me "I am a lucky man".  

The warnings are legit.  The scams occur.