What happens when dying at home of heart attack ? what are the next steps ?

salsajapan

17 hours ago, Oldie said:

I never heard of a case where someone had to be picked up by the garbage removal ????

That's because outside of condos and Moo baans there is no trash collection... They'll just burn you at the nearest temple (for a fee of course)

Apart from a will, I have also written a letter of who should be contacted (family back home) passwords on my computer, and details on creamation etc.. The letter has been left with a good expat friend who will open it on my death and call my family back home to let them know. Everything else is straight forward, police, embassy, cremation etc

One interesting point is passports, a Canadian firnd passed away and I was the local contact for the embassy until his son and daughter arrived from Canada. The passport had to be requested by the family to be cancelled with a copy of the death certificate. There is no automactic cancellation of Canadian passports apparently. Not sur about other countries passports

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Why would anyone want to be repatriated,it beats me ,when your dead ,thats it ,your just another part of nature that goes back into the soil ,just like the leaves on the trees and the rest of the dead stuff .

Exactly, I'll just be a dead body. Whatever I was is gone.

It's my wish my ashes are scattered on a golf course. Can be done in Australia, fertilizer is always welcome. Not sure it can be done here due to the Thai fear of ghosts.

I turned 70 last month so I am thinking about my inevitable departure more often than usual. We have a huge, 1200-year old Grandmother Cedar on a hill behind our house. If I die there, I'd like to be air-buried like First Nations. I fed the birds in this life and I'd like to feed them in my next. (Daughter points out I might pollute our reservoir!)

If I check out here, I'd prefer an outdoor cremation with ashes distributed to my loved ones.

On this subject I'm attaching a PDF eulogy I wrote for the interment of my mother's & father's ashes a few years ago.

Mom & Dad.pdf

19 hours ago, n00dle said:

Truly ridiculous post, befitting an oddly phrased question.

It is safe to assume that no one with direct experience will be popping by the thread to answer.

Why is that? Did you experience passing away in a previous life??? 

LOL

Who cares, you're dead...the monks will pray for 4 days while you spend your time in the fridge and then they'll burn you and you'll go up the chimney!! Shrug!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Oldie said:

What to do when an Ex Pat dies in Thailand.
By nong38, September 12, 2017 in Home Country Forum

From this thread I put together a document sent to my son and

wife has a copy....

Told the wife no need to waste money on 3 day party and music...

said go to the little shop across the village road get two bottles 

of gasoline and light it up..... 555 I did tell her that..

21 hours ago, n00dle said:

Truly ridiculous post, befitting an oddly phrased question.

It is safe to assume that no one with direct experience will be popping by the thread to answer.

It was a great post - would have to make the Qualifying Finals for "Post of The Year 2020".  Cheers and have fun.

23 hours ago, salsajapan said:

Tell to embassy that you died ?

Then how to be sure to be burnt here and not sent abroad ?

The wife or girlfriend would know whom to call, probably police if she is sure, you are already dead as a Dodo.

A dead body will normally end up in the city morgue – normally by the government hospital – where it would be cleaned and prepared for the steps to follow. Thereafter the body would be transferred to a temple and placed in a cooled coffin during ceremonies, until cremation. If the body however shall be repatriated to a home country, the preservation process might be more circumstantial, I don't have detailed knowledge.

The authorities will let the embassy know, if the know your country of origin, and preferable more details. A passport is an excellent option to leave behind, probably not needed on the last journey – however a coin in the pocket might be much more useful, so you can pay the ferryman.

Make a Last Will and write, what you wish. It don't even need to be a very formal thing – which however is not that difficult, there are several good threads about it in this forum – just hand-write the instructions and preferably sign it in front of two witnesses that also sign (an attached copy of ID card preferred); and make sure wife or girlfriend know where the document is. You can also include what kind of ceremony you wish; or not, if you just want you body to be cremated.

I told MrsJ just to do a 'Three Day Job' at the temple. My kids are each side of the world from here so have said by the time you get here it will be over. I have UK and Thai wills.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 3:23 AM, RichCor said:

Calling the po po should get the ball rolling. Usually at some point they'll inform the embassy. Though, repatriation of the body to the home country might be a problem.  

Lot easier to repatriate a small lightweight urn of ashes instead of a large heavy coffin carrying a heavy body full of embalming fluids.  

Edited by Catoni
Addition

Check your embassy's website for complete instructions on what needs to be done. It should all be there just like it is on the US Embassy site in Bangkok. Then prepare a packet of final instructions to leave for your wife. That's the least you can do. Sure, you'll be gone and it won't matter to you; but it's those who are left behind who will be left up s**t creek without a paddle if you do nothing. If it means anything at all to you, your legacy is at stake as well. No matter what good you have done for your family, if you leave them in a mess at your death they will forget all the good and only remember you for your last final act of selfishness by leaving them with no instructions to deal with your bad self upon your death. Take it from a former funeral home and cemetery manager. Get your final arrangements in order before it's too late. Believe me...you'll sleep better at nights and your wife will as well. It's one of the greatest demonstrations of love that you can give her!  

• Thanks 1

Well if you had died in the US, then your death certificate would like your death a Covid-19. 

Here?  Have a will.  Make sure your executor knows how to take it to probate.  List in the will how you want your assets and your body taken care of.  Let the living do the rest.  And the hospital will probably list your death as a heart attack. 

I had a friend who died in hospital, he had been married before,(his wife left him with a 2 yr old and never contacted the kid again), He had sole custody of his 9 yr son, he had a new GF who had been a very good mum to the child for 7 yr.

When he died the hospital would not release the body to her as they were not married, she had to wait for his family to arrive from the UK . She was snubbed at the cremation and to make matters even worse for her, they took the boy back to the UK without telling her.  This story was one of the reasons i married my GF the thought of being left in a mortuary until a family member came, which could well be never, was not something worth contemplating.   

Edited by brianthainess