English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

I met a Thai guy in a restaurant and he asked if I was English, I said yes, he said can I talk to you for a while to learn some English ( his English was very poor ) I said OK, what do you do for a job, he said I teach English in a School !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Fixed it for ya.

Parapraphs are not solely about topics, but about ideas and points, about pacing, about readability and clarity and for emphasis.

And yes I make mistakes and mispellings, but they are generally typos. I am wiriting on a tablet, and not expending any real effort. 

If you can not see that this is more clear than the original, I cant help you.

--------,----------,-,,

You know, I don't disagree with what you are saying here but, you corrected me for using one long paragraph, while you use one sentence after another and space them, even though a lot of it is the same topic.

That's wrong.

I type without stopping, and sometimes I change topics, therefor I should start a new paragraph. Paragraphs should be 100 to 200 words, unless you're changing topics, and it can be less.

And you correct others spelling mistakes while missing your own. Just sayin...

And the US government has been crapola for a time. We've had some good presidents, Roosevelt, Kennedy, Bush, Clinton (some things), and Reagan, in recent times.

The one we have now isn't near presidential material, has hesitated and cost American lives, is a egotist, misogynist, racist fool that needs to be ousted.

He spent money on a wall that isn't helping much, where the money should have gone to medical for everyone like Canada has.

Whether Biden will do things better will remain to be seen, IF hes elected. I pray for my family and friends back home he is elected though.

America needs a change.

That's not fixed. Paragraphs contain the same topic and are changed when the topic changes. You have made sentences into paragraphs. One very long paragraph is hard for some to digest, so you break it down into shorter ones. Not one sentence per paragraph.  lol

On 5/19/2020 at 4:35 PM, trainman34014 said:

Auditioned by who; someone who can do no better than her no doubt ?  When it comes to English they need proper Native speaking Teachers as their own Thai Teachers are near useless !

just like ALL THEM who "PASS DRIVING TEST" who qualifies the examiner to a standard to PASS THAIS ????

40 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

I met a Thai guy in a restaurant and he asked if I was English, I said yes, he said can I talk to you for a while to learn some English ( his English was very poor ) I said OK, what do you do for a job, he said I teach English in a School !!

says it all !!!

45 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That's not fixed. Paragraphs contain the same topic and are changed when the topic changes. You have made sentences into paragraphs. One very long paragraph is hard for some to digest, so you break it down into shorter ones. Not one sentence per paragraph.  lol

Have a good night fred. May you prosper.

Yankee: excuse me but please use proper grammar in MY presence (even though I'm the one that has traveled all the way to YOUR area I still have the right to correct you, cause like, I'm better than you) okay? ????

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 4:05 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

I saw the program and my kids were in bits laughing. It was truly bad English. Was she auditioned before being put on the TV?

I saw it and it's still available somewhere. It's about a Bird day and plenty of words that are not understandable.

It wouldn't be that bad if she'd be the only one with such language skills.

10 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I have a big problem with it when my son's homework comes home with some spellings corrected from English to American English. Who on earth calls corriander "cilantro"?

About 50 million Hispanic and Latino Americans ...

In North America, cilantro refers to the leaves and stalks of the plant. The word “cilantro” is the Spanish name for coriander leaves. Meanwhile, the dried seeds of the plant are called coriander.

10 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

She's not alone, 96% of Americans believe Irony is a country in Africa.

nb: oldie but one of my favs 55

My wife has a Malaysian friend whose husband is from the Irony Coast. 

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And I know that there are many on this forum who can't grasp simple critical concepts while tripping overthemselves to forgive the idiotic.

Question directed at you EricTh: Are any of these foreigners [who can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai] Thai teachers? - now do you get the issue?

And do you think that the native english speakers who are masquerading as english teachers are able to grasp simple critical concepts? A majority of them teaching in the small town schools and language teachers are unqualified lager louts, taxi drivers, shelf stackers come here for the culture, temples and cheap orange juice and sustaining themselves by teaching. 

10 hours ago, Orac said:

I couldn’t get past the “Do you have breakfat this morning” and “Are you furring hellty”.

if I had to watch the whole 1 hr 50mins of it i would probably need therapy.

At 2 minutes in, I wasn't furring hellty.  Thought I'd heave up my breakfat.

Oh my God.She needs to become a bar girl in pattaya.And learn to speak english.I have met bar girls in pattaya that could not speak english.They have spoken me in perfect english 3 months later.And im not talking sex industry talk.normal conversation.Makes you think.This person must have had an expencive english course to be selected for this role.?.Or is it the old story.not the best .but who you know.

4 hours ago, rvaviator said:

My GF told me that the videos are old - Not that it excuses the poor English. Apparently the recordings was done a few years ago.

Yes, I recall seeing them some years ago as well. It was a distance learning initiative of sorts.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thomas Hannah said:

Oh my God.She needs to become a bar girl in pattaya.And learn to speak english.I have met bar girls in pattaya that could not speak english.They have spoken me in perfect english 3 months later.And im not talking sex industry talk.normal conversation.Makes you think.This person must have had an expencive english course to be selected for this role.?.Or is it the old story.not the best .but who you know.

And. if you think. your english language. skills are better. than her's, read your post again. 

Edited by saakura

On 5/19/2020 at 10:20 AM, EricTh said:

Many people fail to understand that Thai people are learning English as a second language and NOT first language.

It's perfectly normal not to speak perfect English as long as people can understand them.

I've known many foreigners who still can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai.

I think what you fail to realise is nobody expects Thai people to speak perfect English, the point of the video is that they are being taught at the very beginning with terrible pronunciation, the actual teacher is poor is the whole point... get it?

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 4:50 PM, trainman34014 said:

Can understand all your points Eric but the fact remains that Thailand needs to employ Native English speakers to teach its Children (and its Teachers) well.    It works well in China, Japan and South Korea to name just three country's.

Do you know the requirements for teaching in a Thai school? The requirements are not congruent with the salaries on offer for  native speakers. A bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement. If that is all they have, they will need a provisional teacher's licence. They can get about 6 years on such a licence, and in that time the teacher is supposed to get a teaching qualification. Otherwise, the teacher will need a teaching qualification from their home country, and then they qualify for their 5 year teaching licence. Most of the long term western teachers I know have their 5 year licence. Very few native speakers apply for teaching jobs at my school - and those that do are unsuitable for one reason or another. This also expalins why most schools employ Philipino teachers - most of them have teaching qualifications. 

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

I think what you fail to realise is nobody expects Thai people to speak perfect English, the point of the video is that they are being taught at the very beginning with terrible pronunciation, the actual teacher is poor is the whole point... get it?

What constitute 'terrible' pronunciation?

The video was not shown on the first page but I do know that some forummers here do expect perfect pronunciation from English teachers in Thailand.

What's most important is that the English teachers are able to translate or explain in Thai. Can most native English speakers explain in Thai?

Of course, at the university level, a native English speaker is better.

Please don't show comedy videos where they purposely show poor English for comedic effect. Those aren't real teachers.

Edited by EricTh

8 hours ago, allen303 said:
13 hours ago, watthong said:

I once met a young Vietnamese girl working at the reception of a language learning center in Dalat, VN. When she answered me in English I thought she comes from California. When asked, she said she has never set foot outside her hometown.

Reading your comment about the Vietnamese lady so going to add. As for the post about 50 back that stated no Asian can speak English without an accent. I have meet numerous Asians with no accent. Good examples.

We were sitting in a sports bar in Biloxi Mississippi on the Gulf Coast, way south. Watched a Vietnamese couple walk in with their two daughters around 18-20s. They left the two at the bar, both dressed to the max, designer bags and cloths. The bartender gave them the lunch menu. When they started to speak it was amazing. If we were not looking at them, we would have said two girls right off the bayous of Mississippi. What an amazing combination, Asian beauty with a Mississippi accent. Another thing, they ordered a hamburger and fries and ate the entire meal with their knife and fork, never touching it with their hands.

Have a good Korean friend around 50, retired from the Air Force. Was adopted from Korea when she was around 1 ½ years old and raised in NW Florida/Lower Alabama. Speaks with a southern accent, no way would you know she was Korean.

Way off-base comparison. Re-read my short paragraph (an example of the "economy" of style, sorry for bragging). I said I met "my" Vietnamese young lady in Dalat, VN. She told me she has never left her hometown. That means she was born and raised in Dalat, VN. Not "off the bayous of Mississippi," neither "in NW Florida/Lower Alabama" where American English is spoken, albeit with the regional accent ladled on. On the other hand, I would bet dime on a dollar that yours (Asian ladies) would struggle with their mother tongue, Vietnamese/Korean, respectively. Which is definitely not the case with the one from Dalat. The fact that the latter was speaking English like a "California girl" and having never set foot in America is what astonished me.

In general there are zillions of kids of all colors (not "colours") growing up in America and speaking like a native, because they are native, either born or transplanted there from an early age. Conversely the majority of their ascendants (parents or grandparents) would struggle with the new language in the new land for the rest of their lives. Fortunately,  the language skill often has the trickle-up effect, just by necessity. Back in my working days (in California) I used to work with a Vietnamese lady who was a boat person (as in "boat people".) At the beginning she was speaking, at best, pidgin English. But as the years went by her English began to get better. One day I overheard her berating her kids on the phone in English, then I understood why. As they grew up Mom was forced to converse with them in English and as the kids spoke native English (learned at school,) Mom is getting a free course in everyday "living" English without realizing it.

Now consider this:  I was having lunch at Burger King in the mall (here in Bangkok) when a couple walked in with their young daughter (age 6, 7 or thereabout). Mom (Thai) speaks to Dad (German) in English.  Dad speaks to daughter in German. Daughter speaks to Mom in Thai. The one who speaks with the best (non-) accent in both languages (that each of them speaks) is of course the young'un - whereas Mom and Dad's English sounded rather mono-syllabic.

Edited by watthong

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

What constitute 'terrible' pronunciation?

The video was not shown on the first page but I do know that some forummers here do expect perfect pronunciation from English teachers in Thailand.

What's most important is that the English teachers are able to translate or explain in Thai. Can most native English speakers explain in Thai?

Of course, at the university level, a native English speaker is better.

Please don't show comedy videos where they purposely show poor English for comedic effect. Those aren't real teachers.

what do you mean what constitutes terrible pronunciation? The sentence is self explanatory isn't it. This is getting a bit painful explaining it to you. She is teaching Thai people to speak English, however her pronunciation is terrible. Thai English is notoriously bad, it is well documented that Thailand is very low in English language skills in SE Asia, so it is quite funny when you hear stuff like this. sorry if you don't see that or understand the point but can't see how I can explain it any clearer to you.

• Like 1