English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

7 minutes ago, sead said:

Well it wasnt easy to look at that video. she shouldnt been in the video at first. So whoever verified and assigned her should be that one to blame. This government said last year that they dont need foreign teachers because their local teacher are undergoing some training of high standard. Theres so much wrong about the attitude of the thai government in the regards we are the best of the best.

To be fair, the girl in the video is better at English than any Thai English teacher my kids have had.

(or I have encountered)

All the parents evenings or home visits I've had, end up with us speaking Thai after the first 'hello'.

(and my Thai ain't that great)

I had to instruct my kids to agree with whatever nonsense their teachers say, just to avoid confrontations.

Edited by BritManToo

18 hours ago, Yinn said:

Lot of negative comments.

say should be native English teacher.

Irony they live in thailand 10 years but can not say simple polite sentence.

IMO the best teacher for teach English to thai people must speak thai AND English.

how can translate for the kid if not understand what the kid ask? 

Not many farang speak thai. And if can they not want to teach kids English.

Not enough for every school. 

If native English teacher (US) can speak thai will be good teacher.

Not enough like that.

Same on TVF thai language forum. I try to help it before, but some member speak thai so well, and English= they can teach thai better than me. Explain very well. 

Explain better than Thai person. Some smart members really. 

Completely wrong. I brought my 9 year old Thai stepdaughter to the UK where she went to school . No one spoke THAI of course but she had learned much better English than this 'teacher' after just 2 months. Now at 25 she speaks perfect English without a hint of Thai accent. You must know the subject in order to teach it. This explains Thailand’s poor and worsening placement in the PISA educational tables .

• Like 2

Just now, nchuckle said:

Completely wrong. I brought my 9 year old Thai stepdaughter to the UK where she went to school . No one spoke THAI of course but she had learned much better English than this 'teacher' after just 2 months. Now at 25 she speaks perfect English without a hint of Thai accent. You must know the subject in order to teach it. This explains Thailand’s poor and worsening placement in the PISA educational tables .

Agreed, and one reason I want to send my daughter to live in the US eventually. One of the prerequisites for teaching here was NOT speaking Thai to the students, that they only hear English, so they concentrate on only that. I only speak a little Thai, and my wife speaks pretty good English, and has learned a lot from me in 5 years. Our daughter is 3 1/2 and speaks both.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Agreed, not important for a language teacher to speak any language other than the one they are teaching.

Yinn's opinion is a symptom of what's wrong with Thailand's education system.

(But who would consider the opinion of someone presenting themselves as a 25yo unemployed guest house receptionist worthwhile in any case) 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

Agreed, and one reason I want to send my daughter to live in the US eventually. One of the prerequisites for teaching here was NOT speaking Thai to the students, that they only hear English, so they concentrate on only that. I only speak a little Thai, and my wife speaks pretty good English, and has learned a lot from me in 5 years. Our daughter is 3 1/2 and speaks both.

I've learned two languages that were taught using only that language, due to the fact that there were students from a dozen different countries in the class. The first two weeks you think that there's no way you're ever going to get it. Then, suddenly, like a light switch being thrown, it all starts to make sense. Great way of learning, providing you have adequately trained teachers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jingjai9 said:

Seems to me the teacher has to model the language. There is a differnece between UK, Aussie, US, etc. in speaking and spelling. So we must not confuse incorrect English with style or accent. I know Thailand cannot afford to hire native speakers for all English courses in the country, but surely for such a far-reaching presentation a good model of the language is essential. 

What I have found is that most speakers of Thai are not advanced enough in English to know what is correct or incorrect in spoken English at an instructional pace.

Often, more competitive schools will hire only native English speakers (UK, Australia, USA, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa). 

However, there is another side to the coin. What does Thailand want from most of its graduates, a competent communicator or an academic with textbook grammar and pronunciation? I think the former is the more realistic choice. Also, if the university students work in tourism they will encounter a variety of accents. The Euro style of English is very common. So having non-native speakers of English is in a sense practical.

There is a term in Education/linguistics called fossilization.. It is used to describe how a person brings elements of language one into language two and it cannot be erased when speaking language two. For example, try to get Thai students to say, "I go, you go and he goes." It will always be in practice - "I go, you go and he go."

What does Thailand want from most of its graduates, a competent communicator or an academic with textbook grammar and pronunciation?

You present a choice and also create a dichotomy.  The reality is that Thailand has precious little of either, as the problem is far more basic.

(Fossilization can also be a simple mispronunciation?)

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Yes, I can barely speak Thai, but strangers compliment me on my Thai as being 'so good'. I assume that everyone is just being polite.

It's a different matter with my singing at karaoke (when there are subtitles in Thai/English script). Nobody says anything that might be construed as encouragement to ever sing again.

That reminds me that my gf likes to watch a Thai show "I can see your voice" with some people who can sing and others who definitely can't. And when they start singing and can't sind they still continue and continue and I always think: Cut that microphone off! And then 10 minutes later repeat of the same with a different singer. It seems Thai love it and at least nobody tells the people who can't sing that they have a beautiful voice.

14 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

What does Thailand want from most of its graduates, a competent communicator or an academic with textbook grammar and pronunciation?

I always though they wanted the person who could pay most money to get the job.

Or someone that had influential friends/lovers/relatives.

I don't believe they make any government appointments on merit.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

You are not teaching English if you are using the American version of spelling and pronunciation.

You are teaching American English. 

Yes, there we were 300-400 odd years ago thinking, we need to think of this word to name this thing that will be on top of this other thing. Hey I know, let’s call it a BONNET and it will set on top of something to be invented later. It will fold upward and be held in place by leather straps.

Till then feel welcomed to use it to describe like 20 different things. We can let the ladies use it for the hat they wear, but they don’t have to use the leather strap to hold it on, to rough!

So, that’s the gold standard for deciding which is the proper version of the English language, HOOD or BONNET.

I know it can be disheartening that Google, Microsoft word, spell checkers mostly use the Yank English!

I think she did OK, but as my Thai Lady friend says farang should not try to speak Thai ( cannot do ) and those dipsticks who think they can are generally getting the mickey taken out of them behind their backs.

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

You present a choice and also create a dichotomy.  The reality is that Thailand has precious little of either, as the problem is far more basic.

(Fossilization can also be a simple mispronunciation?)

Philipine english has perhaps the greatest example of fossilizatiin I have yet encountered.

They have adopted their own usage of the verb "to avail"

Rather than "avail yourself of a service" or "avail yourself of the free drinks" they have simply truncated the the whole thing and will ask you "sir, would you like to avail?" "Will you avail?"

Media promotions will say, "to avail, go to www.taglish.com and register" it begins the promotional announcements on any air asia or cebu pacific flight and precedes the duty free service on philipine air.

It drove me bat<deleted> crazy, fingernails on the chalk board.

Another example would be rendering the term staff into a countable noun.

Our staffs are ready to help you.

Or I am a staff here.

Little things, but firmly entrenched to the point they have become common usage and are taught in shcool. They will never be corrected, but proper usage may likely be marked wrong.

In thailand, I am amused daily while shopping to be asked "you have member?"

Yes, i think, yes I do, but it would be rude to offer proof.

The Thai kids struggle with english because the teacher struggles with English That is the problem. The whole system needs looking at and trying something new or Thailand will always struggle with their English lessons

My first ever night in Thailand many moons ago and the young lady brings me a beer she goes down on one knee and asked me would I like head with that..........? Best not to answer that I think Im going to like Thailand

5 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Only Americans, Canadians and Filipinos speak American English. The rest of the world speaks English English.

So, the Koreans, Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, Hispanics and 150 are so other nationalities in the US are not speaking American English? Maybe the English English you speak of?

I have to question the Canadian reference. I think they have this French problem!

1 minute ago, RANGER55 said:

So, the Koreans, Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, Hispanics and 150 are so other nationalities in the US are not speaking American English? Maybe the English English you speak of?

I have to question the Canadian reference. I think they have this French problem!

I meant in their own countries as I'm sure you know.

• Like 1

they do not necessarily need native english speakers especially as many australian/americans have no idea how to pronounce English. What they do need is someone who can speak english though and many foreign students understand English better from a person with  own accent. This lady seems to mangle Both, 

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

To be fair, the girl in the video is better at English than any Thai English teacher my kids have had.

(or I have encountered)

All the parents evenings or home visits I've had, end up with us speaking Thai after the first 'hello'.

(and my Thai ain't that great)

I had to instruct my kids to agree with whatever nonsense their teachers say, just to avoid confrontations.

Where I work, the animal science and plant science teachers (Thai) are better in English than the 2 English teachers (Thai) we have here?!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Having spent some time in the Netherlands, I have formed the opinion that many Netherlanders speak better English than me......and much better than any American that I have met!

I think the bars have been closed to long in Pattaya!

Just now, RANGER55 said:

I think the bars have been closed to long in Pattaya!

Netherlanders do speak good English. Ranked at the top of European countries. I guess he hasn't heard too many Americans speak. Ones that weren't loaded in a bar that is.

Edited by fredwiggy

25 minutes ago, RANGER55 said:

Yes, there we were 300-400 odd years ago thinking, we need to think of this word to name this thing that will be on top of this other thing. Hey I know, let’s call it a BONNET and it will set on top of something to be invented later. It will fold upward and be held in place by leather straps.

Till then feel welcomed to use it to describe like 20 different things. We can let the ladies use it for the hat they wear, but they don’t have to use the leather strap to hold it on, to rough!

So, that’s the gold standard for deciding which is the proper version of the English language, HOOD or BONNET.

I know it can be disheartening that Google, Microsoft word, spell checkers mostly use the Yank English!

Take for example the word aluminium. Now when you say it you THINK you are pronouncing it properly.

However any English speaker knows you are pronouncing it wrong.

Ideally, any english learning would expose students to a number of moderate regional accents.

Kiwi, Aus, canadian, South African, varied us and uk regional versions europen english speakers etc.

But, in person, that would cost a shedload of money and is unlikely.

It would make sense to prepare materials for comprehension exercises that are varied however.

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Take for example the word aluminium. Now when you say it you THINK you are pronouncing it properly.

However any English speaker knows you are pronouncing it wrong.

You say tomato, I say urinal

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, n00dle said:

Is it the uk's rapidly fading influence across the globe that threatens you?

I'm not threatened at all. We have an international language and that is English, not the English spoken/written in the USA. If the international language was US or French for that matter, I'd happily comply.

When my wife's son comes home and asks for an 'eraser' instead of a rubber, it can get a little confusing. You may be comfortable with both forms of the language but put yourself in the shoes of a 10 year old boy who's mother tongue is tonal, has very little in the way of tenses, no full stops etc. etc. They don't need anything further to make things even more difficult for them.

All languages 'evolve' - we are not talking about evolution, we are talking about a version of the language that often uses completely different words. That is OK for you, I also understand the differences - its very easy for us but why have to teach a non English speaker both versions?

Those who teach English also know the differences, why teach the wrong version?

UK's fading influence? 555, I won't sink to your level but your attempted insult means goes straight over my head. What is your impression of the US's current 'influence'? Unlike the US, I think you will find that most English people don't give a damn about our 'influence' - its not something that matters to us.

What the hell is she saying. I maybe understand one word per sentence.  What is it, asion/ India English ? It hurts my ears just to listen to this. There are thousands and thousands of people that have learned English as a second language that do not have the pronunciation problems this lady has. For the sake of the children and their education she needs to step down from this job. 

• Like 1

I never really tried to correct my old lady's English, but now with an 8 yr old daughter I tend to explain that she can't speak English as her mother does. Cannot say I'm hungee ahahaha, drill into daughter the use of r's.