Retirment extension NEW RULES

The seasoning requirements for those using the bank balance method for proving finances for retirement extensions have changed since your previous application this time last year. Your bank account is now under the Immigration spotlight year round (and not just to the tune of 800k minimum for 3 months prior to an application). The current minimum requirements are 800k for 2 months prior to + 3 months following an application, reducing to 400k for the remaining 7 months.

EDIT: I see that @dick turpin has beaten me to it!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

Well . . . congratulations for going a month early. I do the same to give myself time to fix any problems occur. As others have mentioned, all these new requirements have been in place for a year but it would hard to know if you aren't following visa advice social media sites.

If you are over 70 years old then good luck with the insurance requirement. You may want to consider a backup plan to switch to a non-O visa. There is plenty of information on that on other discussion thread on TVF.

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 2

What about the health insurance requirement? I thought there had been multiple reports recently that you only needed it if your original O-A visa was issued after the 2019 announcement? This sounds like it's needed no matter how long ago your original O-A visa was.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

You've got to get up pretty early in the morning.....

thanks, I never knew got my first visa in hawaii and they said OA or I could not get a one way ticket.   Never was a problem before.  I am already in the middle now with my OA so i will just get it done dont want any problems.  Is it a problem to go to O next year, what do i need to do?  this was in jomtien.

Edited by Lost in LOS

18 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I thought there had been multiple reports recently that you only needed it if your original O-A visa was issued after the 2019 announcement?

Insurance required for all extensions to  non O-A regardless of when the O-A was issued

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The seasoning requirements for those using the bank balance method for proving finances for retirement extensions have changed since your previous application this time last year. Your bank account is now under the Immigration spotlight year round (and not just to the tune of 800k minimum for 3 months prior to an application). The current minimum requirements are 800k for 2 months prior to + 3 months following an application, reducing to 400k for the remaining 7 months.

EDIT: I see that @dick turpin has beaten me to it!

Although that is the official new requirement of 3 months after but OP didn't say anything about 800K last year but only 400K last year.

Edited by EricTh

31 minutes ago, Lost in LOS said:

Is it a problem to go to O next year, what do i need to do?  this was in jomtien.

ThaiVisa member @Peter Denis can send you a script to switching over. Though the process normally involves exiting Thailand and re-entering on a different Visa class (which isn't possible/pratical at the moment), he'd be one person to check with about alternative solutions when they make themselves available.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

I have a non immig O ......... for many years.   Just keep 800k in a fixed acct and get a bank letter each year ( 100 baht at bkk bank).   Make a copy of book and update on date i am going to immig.

Yours is a non-O but OP is having a non-OA which is a different visa that need health insurance.

42 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Use an agent, problem solved. After a long time arguing against using them, I'm a convert to agents now and converts are always the most fanatical.  I will always use an agent in future.   It's a no brainer nowadays. 

Yep, hard to disagree with that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

I have a non immig O ......... for many years.   Just keep 800k in a fixed acct and get a bank letter each year ( 100 baht at bkk bank).   Make a copy of book and update on date i am going to immig.

This year took me 30 minutes to complete my retirement extension.   Stamped and out the door.

No mention of insurance !   No problems.     I always worry,  but so far so good.

Ditto. I just renewed mine last week at Jomtien. NO queue, less than five minutes as the lady looked through my paperwork. Did my 90 day while I was there, same thing - no queue, less than a minute for that process. One thing I did find amusing: the picture I used for the extension was OBVIOUSLY not a recent photo since the barber shops have been OOC and my hair was unkempt to be kind.  She DID take a photo of me on her phone right before I left. Picked up my passport the next day, all good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost in LOS said:

I always hear they dont want us here and never really believed it, but with this I am thinking they all might be right. 

The proof is always in the pudding, me personally am exiting come the end of the year, that should be enough time to arrange everything I need.

Funny thing is I was sitting out the front one morning and asked the wife, what are the benefits for us staying here Vs the benefits of returning back overseas, and we were surprised that the benefits were more so back home and the cost of living here was the same as living back home, so it's so long for us, guess that will please immigration, less paperwork for them to shuffle in the future.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, poohy said:

Use an Agent it will save all these pesky little problems!

It appears that is the whole point, agents slip them a few notes and Bob's your uncle, I have always given them nothing and am richer for it, the wife a little flustered doing the paper shuffle, but hey, I am the walking ATM right ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

ThaiVisa member @Peter Denis can send you a script to switching over. Though the process normally involves exiting Thailand and re-entering on a different Visa class (which isn't possible/pratical at the moment), he'd be one person to check with about alternative solutions when they make themselves available.

Thanks.
See my post #25 in response to the issues the OP is facing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lost in LOS said:

thanks, I never knew got my first visa in hawaii and they said OA or I could not get a one way ticket.   Never was a problem before.  I am already in the middle now with my OA so i will just get it done dont want any problems.  Is it a problem to go to O next year, what do i need to do?  this was in jomtien.

When I ( and other ones..) went to do ret ext in jomtien they gave us a paper to come back at a given date few 3 months later , to come and prove we still have 400 K baht on bank , (some claim they never got such paper ..? ) 

To be complete safe I got another 3 months status bank letter  from Kasikorn bank on that control date , and to be more  safe I made copy of that bank letter before I delivered it to the I.O. who put it in file (just in case they would ask prove when doing my new ret.ext . )

It is advisable to anticipate on possible " lost filing documents .." by I.O's ????, and as to be complete safe I don't touch the 800K at all , only when definitive leaving I shall take it in 2 steps ALL out as I stop that moment my ret. ext . as planned .????

BTW  you let me shock by your title line ???? , as I have to go in August for my new ret. ext. (o Type ) ,"  new " is indeed a old rule forO-A 's  ,not for simple "O" ones ????

Edited by david555