Think twice before riding a motorcycle in Thailand - Thai biker in wheelchair warns others

webfact

Think twice before riding a motorcycle in Thailand - Thai biker in wheelchair warns others

6pm.jpg

Image: Daily News

A former motorcyclist went online to warn others about the dangers of riding a motorcycle in Thailand. 

In a much viewed post Chavakorn Boosai listed all the terrible consequences after he came off his bike.

He posted a picture of him staring forlornly out of his house sitting in a wheelchair. 

He asked if he looked as stylish now in his wheelchair like he did when he was racing on his swanky motorcycle. 

He listed a litany of broken bones, medical procedures and surgeries, problems with toilet functions, lower paralysis, weird looks from other people, 3 million baht expense using his family's money - you name it, he's suffered it. Nothing is normal for him now.

Every morning when he wakes up he feels awful. 

This all happened in the blink of an eye when he came off his bike. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-10

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

The stupidest thing ever is to buy your teenager son a motorcycle. 

No, a big fast bike. I bought my kid a bike but it is a 125cc and not a peed demon bike. Big bikes also have a different weight ratio.

• Haha 1

I feel for the young man.  I have an American friend who's in the same predicament.  In a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down for life.  It's very sad, I can't imagine being in their shoes.  I used to ride as a young man back in the USA.  But not anymore.  All it takes is one serious accident.  I'd rather be in my armored SUV than take a chance like that. 

• Like 2

I guess I've been lucky for I've been driving for 8 years without any mishap. I remember my first drive on the new pcx... I was nervous as hell...40Kbper hour was fast! But I got yo have instincts for driving... I applied the same rules I have when driving a car! I especially now look for bikes coming from the left sois because they never look if anybody is coming... I am always leery of vendor carts who are a dangerous road hazard and I avoid getting angry at agressive minibus drivers! One must use common sense when driving in Thailand...yes the overly young drivers are a constant threat to us...so beware when you see young fools on any bike! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well  mate, my bike was just a regular Honda wave, no skinny tyres, lights worked fine, bit old to be a boy racer.

Yet here i am in exactly the same situation as that young man.

It is not how you behave on the road, but how others behave, i am paralyzed because of a clown driving the wrong way, and driving like an idiot.

What happened in your case? i frequently watch bike crash videos to learn the mistakes people make. Here's one people can learn from

https://www.liveleak.com/v?t=gf410kqg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

Riding a motorcycle in thailand cas still be relatively safe and manageable but you must be ride in a passive/aggressive defensive manner and certainly not a boy racer style with skinny tires and no lights at breakneck speeds.

A Thai friend was hit at daytime at a straight road from behind - the car failed to stop. Her child is dead and one leg got amputated. 

• Sad 2

In many cases, it is not how careful you but rather how bad 'they' are.

A friend was wiped out whilst driving behind a truck. A speeding car came up behind him and ran straight into him and the truck in front. Squashed. Terminal.

I had my first close shave last night after being here for 20 years.

They have improved the roads here on Samui and without tourists, local kids are using them as a race track. I am driving through the village, good as gold, well on the left, and two kids racing, one passing the other, both on my side of the road as they were passing a big fuel tanker lorry at the same time. Just managed to avoid them.

Note to self - do not ride at night.

• Like 2

Certainly you can be very unlucky and have a crash even though you've done nothing wrong but you can massively reduce your risk by riding safely, not at night, get to know all the risky places (junctions, drains, metal covers, sand, potholes etc).

From the 100s of videos of motorcycle accidents I've seen the large majority are caused by poor riding, taking unnecessary risk or often just being reckless

• Like 1