Foreigners demanding Western privilege in Thailand

Pravda

Yes, we farang demand way too much privilege.

We'll be complaining about having to sit at the back of the bus next. Or having to give up our seats for a Thai National.

Oh wait a minute, we're considered too dirty to even be allowed on ????.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I disagree with your assessment.

There's a reason why in many many countries including US, UK, Singapore, (I was a foreign students in Singapore myself.. but on a half scholarship so I paid the same fees as local Singaporeans) foreign students pay higher price. Because there are limited seats in the classrooms and had the foreigners pay lower fees, many more foreign students would come and flood the universities, it's a filter, so they do this to protect local enrollment in universities. Similar logic with why foreign nationals can't buy landed properties in many countries including Thailand, and this is Fair.

Ticket prices to attractions and tourist sites, it's still somewhat ok, because if you can show your local ID, you pay local prices and usually these locations are packed with tourists, so government is giving priorities to domestic tourism. Ok, sure.

What is disturbing, is the food prices, taxi trips, even Thai massages. Personal experience. 

I was in a not-cheap three island boat tour in Krabi, and and in one island, there was a food stall there and they charged double price for food for farangs by the look and their skin. My question is, if they don't charge double price for farangs, they are going to run out of rice and eggs so the locals can't eat or what? If they want to make more money, then why they can't charge more for Thais there, because Thai people who were on that boat trip are well off Thais who can certainly pay higher price. Many of foreigners in turn are not richer than the locals.

Give me a reason why, in this case, other than the sellers are basically racists.

• Like 2

Thai massage, outside touristy area. My father was charged higher price more than advertised by the masseuse, being a foreigner. Why?

Because if my father didn't go for that massage, there are many Thais queuing outside waiting for massage and my father took their opportunity getting a massage? funny the queue was invisible I didn't see them at all.

Or is the masseuse really going to run out of energy massaging a foreigner hence higher price?

We are fellow asians. My wife who is Thai paid regular price. I paid regular price, I speak Thai (they probably thought I was Thai too). Customers appreciate being treated fairly.

What about those for example, white people who are Thai nationals and hold Thai IDs, so their whole life they are looked at as tourists who some locals think that they must pay higher price for everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand belongs to the group of developing countries.

It is still developing which is a process so the things have not been in order yet.

I like things to be in order but not perfectly so Thailand works for me ????????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

So what is your point??

Btw, generally speaking I absolutely loathe 'expats' Vile, weird, know it all failures, in the main.

Now there is one post of yours i agree with.   I am sure you won't mind if I include you in my

loathing  ????      Oh,  and vice versa of course

OMG !   there are another 194 countries to choose from in the world !   just pick one if it

fills your needs better than Thailand.    

even Nancy L  and that guy riding the baht busses in Pattaya are still here. 

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Back in home country most of us would never be able to achieve the best aspects of life we can build here.  To enjoy our time it becomes necessary to fit in to the system, not constantly complain nor try to change it

good post.      If i can expand a bit,  where in the world are we not forced to "fit into the system"?

I have been trying my best for 50 years to slip and slide through the cracks of the horrible (to me)

pressure to abide by the LAWS  and conform to the norm .   Quite a struggle , one that seems

to get even more difficult in the modern world.  And this is only on thiavisa !

• Haha 1