Troublesome russian landlord

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He defaulted on the lease terms, you are talking nonsense. Rat on the Russian landlord and he might be eating through a straw for the next months.

Defaulring on the lease is not for the landlord to unilaterally decide. So the lease is still valid.

Your other point is not relevant to what he should do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, elektrified said:

Renting from a Russian in Thailand?? Never heard of such a thing. I can't think of anyone I have ever known renting from someone who is not Thai.

And you've been there how long, or no friends? Gotta be tongue-in-cheek. I know numerous folk who rent property, myself included. Expand your circle a bit, bud.

2 hours ago, lee b said:

I rented a condo from an American guy. We paid 15000 THB a month rent for over a 4 year period.

When we were on holiday in Vietnam my Thai visa was rejected, I called and told him, he said we had to clean out the room, which my wifes family did and he kept the 30000 THB deposit. He would not negotiate what so ever.

I could do nothing, and being outside the country made it worse. Now to me a deposit means its going in the landlords pocket.

He simply kept the money? I would have reported him to immigration police and RTP and important people I know who can put a permanent end to his Thailand days. Back to North Dakota or whichever dump he comes from.

Edited by mvdf
  • Like 1

Sounds like a lot of huey.

People are right to speculate as to how a Russian could be the landlord.

Anyway It looks to me like a sweet deal was met.

Cheap rent, and who ever heard of paying just 7k deposit?

A Thai would ask for more and probably you be giving it away anyway.

Edited by pookondee
  • Like 1

It's one thing not having 5K baht to pay the rent....but you also mention your girlfriend is pregnant? Buddy, you've got to find work / income FAST! Paying your rent is important, but being able to provide for your soon-to-be-born child is even more important!

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

He defaulted on the lease terms, you are talking nonsense. Rat on the Russian landlord and he might be eating through a straw for the next months. Disgusting advice about the prawns, the OP is treating his landlord bad and you want to make it worse? 

Your advice is actually the disgusting part here. As neither the majority of contracts nor Thai law states that a lease is defaulted or broken after only 3 days of late payment. There could be a penalty if payment is late in 3-5 days, per day, if agreed in the contract. The contract also needs to be in English if signed with a foreigner.

The actions of the landlord are in fact illegal and radical, the landlord has to wait for now for sure, and after that take civil ways himself. 
That said, obviously it is technically not normal to do this but knowing COVID situation and getting even 2K more than otherwise, the landlord loses nothing. On top of that the tenant has offered him to check anytime, with a 24 hour notice, to be sure the condo or apartment is in good condition, and compensate this way + guarantee all good. And he financially finishes the original term, its not 8 months left on paper + leaves a bit early, which gives the landlord a chance to prep. up a new tenant for free X days.

Now there is another point of him potentially having entered during lease, without notice, which is illegal too. So there are 2 illegal counts already and for the tenant, so far legally as it is only day 3-4, zero.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

Most landlords are just rats, you will only find out as soon you have some complaints or want to leave and need a deposit returned. 
At OP: You posted in May 2019 that 5mill sitting gathering dust , expensive pregnant girlfriend to have only 5k left now? If the baby is born on nr 5, you got a joke 555.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, balo said:

6 pages and the OP was never heard from again.....

If he cant pay his rent, a good chance he cant afford internet access as well.

• Like 2

How pregnant is the girlfriend, is  it too late to abort cause that kid is going to have a miserable life if you cannot even find 5000 baht to pay the rent.

Edited by Don Mega

9 hours ago, lee b said:

I rented a condo from an American guy. We paid 15000 THB a month rent for over a 4 year period.

When we were on holiday in Vietnam my Thai visa was rejected, I called and told him, he said we had to clean out the room, which my wifes family did and he kept the 30000 THB deposit. He would not negotiate what so ever.

I could do nothing, and being outside the country made it worse. Now to me a deposit means its going in the landlords pocket.

Almost the same happened to me with Thai landlord. After years of paid rent I had to leave 1 month before the end term of the last yearly contract we signed. She first ensured that I paid bills and left the keys, then she said she would withhold the whole TWO months deposit and blocked me on LINE ????

Still today some owners and agents ask 2 months deposit. Absolutely refuse to give such amount because it's against the law. 

Edited by Sundown

On 6/12/2020 at 1:10 PM, holy cow cm said:

Bummer. Your deposit is just that. A deposit against destruction or work needed on the condo after your living there. Time to go buy a tent and live like a homeless person or get some money from somewhere. And your partner is pregnant? Sounds like poor planning to me. Hope things get better for you but your landlord does not have to bend over backwards for you and you should know that..

I was just going to say the same thing.  Get yourself a tent or a large refrigerator box.   What are you doing in Thailand with so few resources?

56 minutes ago, newnative said:

I was just going to say the same thing.  Get yourself a tent or a large refrigerator box.   What are you doing in Thailand with so few resources?

And his partner G-Friend is pregnant. This is unacceptable nowadays. 

8 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Your advice is actually the disgusting part here. As neither the majority of contracts nor Thai law states that a lease is defaulted or broken after only 3 days of late payment. There could be a penalty if payment is late in 3-5 days, per day, if agreed in the contract. The contract also needs to be in English if signed with a foreigner.

The actions of the landlord are in fact illegal and radical, the landlord has to wait for now for sure, and after that take civil ways himself. 
That said, obviously it is technically not normal to do this but knowing COVID situation and getting even 2K more than otherwise, the landlord loses nothing. On top of that the tenant has offered him to check anytime, with a 24 hour notice, to be sure the condo or apartment is in good condition, and compensate this way + guarantee all good. And he financially finishes the original term, its not 8 months left on paper + leaves a bit early, which gives the landlord a chance to prep. up a new tenant for free X days.

Now there is another point of him potentially having entered during lease, without notice, which is illegal too. So there are 2 illegal counts already and for the tenant, so far legally as it is only day 3-4, zero.

2 illegal counts you figure, according to a poster with a questionable history, who claims the landlord entered the apartment.

jinkies!  with 5 million sitting in a bank gathering dust, he coulda at least spent a couple hundred baht and changed the lock.

Living in Thailand with a pregnant girlfriend and running low on money, can´t pay the rent. How are you thinking, man? What was your idea? How are you going to afford raising a child? Are you going to live on the street just to can afford food everyday?

Sure, I know it sounds and reads harsh, but it´s reality knocking on your door. You have made your bed, now you gottá set the blankets straight.

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Illegal to turn off water & electrical  with non payment ?? I don't think so.

My Condo block this is standard procedure

Standard procedure over here in Soi Khao noi, infact its rare to have the water turned on at all !!