Bad News from Cambodia

20 minutes ago, Chivas said:

This is the end of all tourism in Asia for the forseeable future

You wait till Thailand lists its huge onerous requirements for inbound travellers and it will make Cambodia took like an attractive proposition.....

a little pessimism creeping in here mayhaps? It will all be over soon and you will be able to sling your hook in any direction that you like. Keep the faith brother!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No chance of someone leaving Thailand to re-enter at this time.

Cambodia will nto allow in -- no visas on arrival and no tourist visas being issued by Embassies.

And Thailand would not allow back in anyhow. So even if Laos let you in, would not work.

No visa runs these days.

Not entirely correct. We have sent a heap of people to Vietnam and another crew are heading to South Korea tomorrow. There has been a lot of red tape to get through from Thai and foreign embassies but it has been possible. There have been assurances that re entry for Thai and foreign staff is possible. Understandably probably not relevent to individual travelers with no company support. Just clarifying some of the facts. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, john terry1001 said:

Are you keeping your fingers crossed ????

I am holding my breath , on this one.

Not for too long ...

Edited by elliss

On 6/12/2020 at 5:08 PM, Lacessit said:

Cheaper by far to buy your wife a WeightWatchers program.

Not reqd ,   my darling sisters is only 36 kg ...

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

Not entirely correct. We have sent a heap of people to Vietnam and another crew are heading to South Korea tomorrow. There has been a lot of red tape to get through from Thai and foreign embassies but it has been possible. There have been assurances that re entry for Thai and foreign staff is possible. Understandably probably not relevent to individual travelers with no company support. Just clarifying some of the facts. Cheers!

Definitely not relevant for foreigners without work permits, and even those need special authorization.

OP was talking about retirees making visa runs. Not possible at this time.

On 6/12/2020 at 1:48 PM, Pilotman said:

Thank Goodness I am not in the UK/US/Any western country, right now. Thailand is a model of calm and rationality in comparison. 

Yes Thailand is a model that every country in the world should be following

are you (deleted) serious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

YEP!  We are ALL screwed no matter how you look at it...this Covid pandemic will cost you your life, or a lot of cash and mass inconvenience....this is going to be a very long fight as Covid is known to mutate as well.   Better make plans for the next several years. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/health/coronavirus-mutations-scripps-gene/index.html

19 minutes ago, mike787 said:

YEP!  We are ALL screwed no matter how you look at it...this Covid pandemic will cost you your life, or a lot of cash and mass inconvenience....this is going to be a very long fight as Covid is known to mutate as well.   Better make plans for the next several years. 

COVOD has saved me lots of money so far.

No border runs, reduced school fees, reduced university fees, reduced water and electricity bills.

No wasting money in massage, bars, coffee shops.

And I've even got some AirAsia credit as well.

Who could have known?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CaptainCarrot said:

Cost in Bangkok is between $90 and $300 depending on the hospital (and with some hospitals charging higher rates for foreigners).

In Germany hospitals get paid for a test EUR 35 from the insurances. That seems to cover the costs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andre47 said:

In Germany hospitals get paid for a test EUR 35 from the insurances. That seems to cover the costs.

That is interesting. Based on my understanding, that is remarkably cheap. Perhaps, they achieve this by combining samples and only doing individual tests when the initial batched test shows someone is positive. As a government controlled health service, they probably also have a lot of clout in negotiating with pharmaceutical companies, and may have a sweet deal for massive orders.

4 hours ago, CaptainCarrot said:

Cost in Bangkok is between $90 and $300 depending on the hospital (and with some hospitals charging higher rates for foreigners).

you got it!  somebody's nephew is making bank.....and not just in cambodia.

chinese government hospitals charge 230 RMB, or about 1000 baht -- about $30.  thai/cambo government purchases should result in similar cost to the patient....but, well, they do the math.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

All foreigners should avoid Cambodia, Lao and Myanmar....despotic countries with Thailand not too far behind

Yep, please don't come here to Laos.  Only 19 Wuhan flu cases and no deaths.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is interesting. Based on my understanding, that is remarkably cheap. Perhaps, they achieve this by combining samples and only doing individual tests when the initial batched test shows someone is positive. As a government controlled health service, they probably also have a lot of clout in negotiating with pharmaceutical companies, and may have a sweet deal for massive orders.

No batch tests.

Price set by the government, starting from July 1st it will be 39 euro (now its still 59 euro).

Private prices used to be anywhere between 150 and 300 euro, that's past. 

• Like 1

The slippery slope the world is now on may well result in the death of tourism and expatriates, at least for a while and between especially diverse societies. The East will cater to the East and the West to the West. I will not be surprised, given the inherent and accepted racism in many or most societies, that not only will some countries ban outsiders, but ask the ones currently in residence to go home.

If I was a farang living in Thailand, even married to a Thai, I would make plans for the 'impossible' to come to pass. It isn't as if the current govt likes farangs, and the argument of 'we contribute to the economy' is meaningless. Guys living on $4K/month pensions are not even chump change to leaders who siphon tens of millions from the public trough, and who have had absolutely no problem making destitute all Thais currently unemployed due to CV-19 shut downs. Booting all expats may well appeal to the growing populist sentiment and resonate with local voters.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

The slippery slope the world is now on may well result in the death of tourism and expatriates, at least for a while and between especially diverse societies. The East will cater to the East and the West to the West. I will not be surprised, given the inherent and accepted racism in many or most societies, that not only will some countries ban outsiders, but ask the ones currently in residence to go home.

Cambodia is in a bit of a hard place then, as most of it's tourism and industry is geared to the west.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cambodia is in a bit of a hard place then, as most of it's tourism and industry is geared to the west.

So governments might be rational?

When did that start?

Last week many public and private transport companies barred farang from buying bus tickets for inter-provincial travel. Any farang currently in Thailand has been in country for at least 3 months and clearly is as Covid free as any Thai.  Desperate times often lead to illogical and desperate measures.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Think you could check out tourist numbers to Cambodia, you will find the opposite is the case.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

COVOD has saved me lots of money so far.

No border runs, reduced school fees, reduced university fees, reduced water and electricity bills.

No wasting money in massage, bars, coffee shops.

And I've even got some AirAsia credit as well.

Who could have known?

But no banging - lol

16 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Really so u expect everything else besides ur visa to be for free in Cambodia? 

I was refering to the thread about paying to enter.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, problemfarang said:

Also many people staying in thailand already started to ask money from their parents or friends. 

Really, wow. I pay my own freight where ever I go , or I just don't go.

Edited by PatchinExPat
misspelling