Bangkok Bank unveils mobile banking app for ‘new normal’

Bangkok Bank unveils mobile banking app for ‘new normal’

By THE NATION

800_4dbb72814bf18ee.jpg?v=1591860328

Bangkok Bank has launched a new version of its mobile banking application with a fresh design for the so-called “new normal” and mobile era.

The app aims to attract 11 million users by the end of this year.

Bangkok Bank executive vice president Prassanee Ouiyamaphan said it will be easier and more convenient to use with several new features, including easy-to-read streaming charts, shortcuts menu for quick access to transactions, easy funds transfer with fewer errors. Meanwhile the option to copy and paste account numbers means there is no need to memorise or write them down and full account numbers can be viewed in a single click.

Also featured are easy app management, with the ability to add, delete and sort third-party accounts, view transaction history by month, and frequently used transactions are grouped together.

Bill payment is made easier with the ability to scan on the first page. Payments can be made quickly in five seconds or just two clicks. Searching for a payee is easy with new categorisation, a list of popular payees, and payees' logos.

International security standards protect against outdated operating systems and rooted or jailbroken devices. Customer data will be secure as these devices will not be able to make transactions.

The update will be rolled out in batches and the first batch of Bualuang mBanking customers can update their mobile banking app to the new version from today.

All users will be able to update within two weeks. The application will be available for mobile devices with iOS version 9.0 and above or Android version 5.0 and above (Android version 7.0 or above is recommended for the better experience).

Existing customers can access the application using their existing 6-digit PIN without having to reregister. New customers can download the app and sign-up with a Bangkok Bank debit card or credit card number.

"Data during the first four months of this year clearly reflects this changing customer behaviour,” said Prassanee. “Our number of mobile banking users has grown by approximately 28 per cent compared to the same period last year.

Meanwhile, fund transfers and bill payments via mobile banking grew by 51 per cent and 47 per cent, respectively. This indicates that customers are becoming more familiar with making transactions via mobile banking.

Furthermore, the Covid-19 outbreak has also raised concerns over using cash and increased the popularity of online purchasing via mobile banking due to the inconvenience of going to physical stores. In addition, many customers have registered to use their Bangkok Bank account for PromptPay to receive Bt5,000 handouts from the government."

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/biz-moves/30389445

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-12

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

let's hope it does all that was intended for.... history of app making/properly working in Thailand doesn't have a good record

And is available to farang who have BKK bank savings a/c's and CC.

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

I got the update yesterday morning. Not tried to use it yet.

Do note that it says it will be rolled out in batches.

Sounds like to fully updated phones first, then maybe to phones still running older OS versions.

Edited by phetphet

37 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I got the update yesterday morning. Not tried to use it yet.

Do note that it says it will be rolled out in batches.

Sounds like to fully updated phones first, then maybe to phones still running older OS versions.

Do you have an Apple or Android phone?  Google Play for Android still only has the older app of Jan 2020.

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

Already on my phone this morning.

Updated itself, can login with fingerprint now.

Android Huawei Y9 2019

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Updated itself, can login with fingerprint now.

Android Huawei Y9 2019

Wow good stuff, makes banking so easy, so efficient and so fast. 

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Do you have an Apple or Android phone?  Google Play for Android still only has the older app of Jan 2020.

I have an iPhone. The updated app was shown as available first thing yesterday morning  when I got up.

Edited by phetphet

2 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

Android 10 here, so that theory is busted.

Isn't Android 10 the latest version of Android? Sorry, but I don't know as I use an  iPhone, and was just going by the paragraphs below. Maybe I was wrong.

The update will be rolled out in batches and the first batch of Bualuang mBanking customers can update their mobile banking app to the new version from today.

All users will be able to update within two weeks. The application will be available for mobile devices with iOS version 9.0 and above or Android version 5.0 and above (Android version 7.0 or above is recommended for the better experience).

Edited by phetphet

On 6/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, webfact said:

International security standards protect against outdated operating systems and rooted or jailbroken devices. Customer data will be secure as these devices will not be able to make transactions.

This is bad  they are trying to force users to  discard perfectly good working phones because they are deemed too old !    In some cases even a brand new phone won't work because they come straight from the factory rooted.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Updated itself, can login with fingerprint now.

Android Huawei Y9 2019

What is the Google Play date of the new app when you check on your phone? 

Like for me to check the date I would long press the Bangkok Bank mbanking icon....up pops a menu where I select App Info....then it takes me to full set of App Info within my Android operating system...select App Details in Store....this takes you to Google Play which shows the Last updated date for the app.  For me, Google Play shows 22 Jan 2020 as in that the latest version available to me on Google Play.

If the app on your Android phone shows the same 22 Jan 2020 date then I guess that means all the features of the new interface is contained within that version but at some point when logging onto the mbanking app it will receive an underlying code to activate the menus/features of the new release/interface/menus.   Kinda like how the update from Windows 10 version 1903 to 1909 occurred...the upgrade to 1909 had actually been included in an updated to 1903 but un-activated.  This update to 1903 occurred about a month before MS decided to publicly release 1909.  When MS decided to release 1909 all it had to do was to release a "very small" update which only activated the larger update lying dominant within 1903....the small update was like a key to unlock the barn door and let the horse out who had been in the barn for while.

Or maybe Bangkok Bank has coded the release to occur based on various release settings with Google Play where the app developer can control how, when, and where it released based on things like Android version of your phone, country you are in, whether the release is beta or alpha, etc....etc.  Bangkok Bank did say it would be release in batches versus to everyone at once.

And I sure appears from review the "most recent" comments on Google Play for the app most people are giving it only 1 or 2 stars....lot of complaints....and they seem to be talking the brand new release.

Edited by Pib

Just now, BritManToo said:

this.

OK...that tells me Bangkok Bank does the update by just activating the new interface/features already contained in the 22 Jan 2020 version....lying dominant within the Jan version....the version that's been out for months.  Kinda like you deciding one day to change the background picture on your computer/phone....or that Win 10 1903 to 1909 update example I gave.   When Bangkok Bank decides to switch a customer over to the new interface/menus they will activate probably during a logon versus by a new updated app download....this will also probably connect customers to a different set of Bangkok Bank servers.

On 6/13/2020 at 12:21 PM, BritManToo said:

this.

After reading ianguygil's post on how they are rolling it out to Android phones are you "sure" your version is 22 Jan 2020 like I assumed your earlier "this" response meant?

Edited by Pib

26 minutes ago, Pib said:

After reading ianguygil's post on how they are rolling it out to Android phones are you "sure" your version is 22 Jan 2020 like I assumed your earlier "this" response meant?

That's what my phone said.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's what my phone said.

Strange....if you have the new app (which you said you did) that would mean the app date you see in Google Play should be something dated "way after 22 Jan 2020"....like probably something around May/Jun 2020 based on  ianguygil's description of how Bangkok Bank is controlling the distro via  Google Play.   

Or maybe Google Play still updates your app to the new version but still displays a 22 Jan 2020 old version date when a person checks....the same date someone still on the old version sees.   I say that based on the way ianguygil described how the new app can be distributed via Play by a quota each day and for some reason until the new app is allowed to be downloaded by anyone at anytime then the old app will still show on Google Play as the most current.   

Oh well...I'll wait until it hits my Android phones...hopefully soon....Bangkok Bank's mbanking app definitely needed modernization.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Oh well...I'll wait until it hits my Android phones...hopefully soon....Bangkok Bank's mbanking app definitely needed modernization.

Apart from the fingerprint log-on, I'd say it was worse than the previous version.

Before I could see around 20 transactions on my opening page.

Now I can only view around 5, and they are 3 screens into the app.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1