Change Car Tyres after 40,000km?

22 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Tyres deteriorate with age because UV light and the atmosphere cause oxidation and depolymerisation of the rubber.  The rubber goes hard and starts to crack. The tread becomes less compliant and therefore grip is reduced.

Carbon black in the tyre acts as a sacrificial absorber of the UV to protect the rubber. Over time it is progressively used up and the tyre becomes less black and more grey. That's why tyres left in the sun everyday tend to 'rot' more quickly.

I wouldn't use a tyre beyond about 6 years here in Thailand.

As a young engineer I had a colleague killed by an old tyre. He took a test car out on the track and a tyre broke up at high speed. The car flipped off the track. HSE investigated etc.  It turned out that the tyre was 'new old stock' - manufactured over 10 years previously but somehow only just fitted to the car. Nobody had thought to look at the date code.

So, the tire manufacturer was responsible for a third party incompetency.

How on earth did such a thing happen in such an environment that would need multiple incompetents to be the cause?

DOT is 10 years limit. For use in extreme environments (such as those you're indicating), I'd be looking at weeks, not years.

All depends on how you drive.  I feather the accelerator and brake pedals.  Usually I get around 80,000km on my tires.

Of course I replace them if the sidewalls crack or damaged.

As far as the tires taking longer to stop, it happens gradually and you can adjust the stopping distance unconsciously, if you are a good driver. ????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

A bit of i cant realy afford new Tires hidden in some of these posts.

There's some that have the same car as you. Yet theirs is; faster, more fuel efficient, quieter and easier on tires than yours.

Always worth listening to, but not necessarily worth believing.

13 hours ago, quake said:

I had a dog in the 70s that used to do that on the pavement. :smile:

White skid marks! What did you feed it on, did you ever think about taking it to see the vet?

39 minutes ago, alacrity said:

There's some that have the same car as you. Yet theirs is; faster, more fuel efficient, quieter and easier on tires than yours.

Always worth listening to, but not necessarily worth believing.

Like i said..................

Tyre technology has also improved over the last 7 years. Better stabity, grip and road holding in corners. May not make a huge difference but once a vehicle starts to slide or skid it can be difficult to control. 

The Michelin website states that tyres should be rotated every 6 to 8,000 miles (roughly 10 to 13,000km). This is something that is often overlooked. I know that as a younger driver, I never rotated the tyres periodically. I'll have to check if the Suzuki centre did this at the 6 month service a couple of months ago.

5 hours ago, katatonic said:

Tyres do age and the performance degrades dramatically. The ride and braking performance as well as cornering grip will reduce by a significant amount after 4-5 years. Regardless of the tread depth, do not use tyres here after they're 5 years old. Change them and the difference is dramatic. My wife's car, when we met - a Honda Jazz, had a really bad ride and terrible grip. Changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and the difference in comfort & grip especially in the wet, was incredible. I have bought several sets since for different cars but always go for Michelin Pilot Sport  - now PS 4. Buy tires from the company that's spending the most on research, which is generally Michelin. Never scrimp on the things that attach you to the road! And this is why Thais drive so slowly in the wet. They know how <deleted> their tyres are..

I used PS3 and then to PS4 on ym wife's suzuki swift. I put on 205/50R16. The grip is way better than the stock tires and yu can drive through heavy rain with no hint of loss of traction. They are a little more noisy than a more comfort oriented tire, but it's a worthwhile trade-off. Never had them puncture either; but the stock bridgestones got 3 punctures in them as the rubber seemed thinner with thinner sidewalls. 

I got about 45K or so from the PS3. They started to get fine cracks in the sidewall (along the edge of the tread area), and the tread became quite hard. Probsably could have gotten another 10K out of them, so the treadwear was better than I normally got from other brands. 

Edited by DavisH

8 hours ago, alacrity said:

So, the tire manufacturer was responsible for a third party incompetency.

How on earth did such a thing happen in such an environment that would need multiple incompetents to be the cause?

DOT is 10 years limit. For use in extreme environments (such as those you're indicating), I'd be looking at weeks, not years.

No, the tyre manufacturer was not responsible. Its a long story (the vehicle arrived prepped from an outside contractor). There was a prosecution.

You wouldn't expect tyres to be weeks old, but usually they were less than a year old. I did once have a Continental tyre completely fail at about 80mph. It basically split into two halves along the centreline of the tyre. Very strange and obviously a manufacturing defect. Conti took it back for examination and I never heard any more. Must have been thousands from the same batch on the road...

If you look inside the channels in the tread you will see bars that indicate when the tyre should be replaced. If you buy respectable brands of tyres and do not do handbrake turns, slides and skidding for fun, they will last longer. Honda alos try to fool my wife into changing perfectly good tyres at 40,000kms. Always inpect the sides of your tyres for bulges or damage due to scraping the kerb and replace if damage looks like the tyre could blow out at speed. Beware of cheap tyres, they sometimes are not rated for high speeds.

8 hours ago, PFMills said:

White skid marks! What did you feed it on, did you ever think about taking it to see the vet?

A bit off topic, but

In the 70s in the uk, dog food manufactures used to put chalk in the dog food as a filler.

so you got white dog poo, after it dried out on the pavement.

i think that's why it was white. :jap:

Edited by quake

My wife was shown by her driving school how to read the tyre date regardless of KL, and told after 4 yrs to change them, it was me that showed her the wear bars, having said that, applying tyre silicon to the walls regularly and park in shade when poss. helps to protect against UV, i now just buy the cheap tyres and will change after 4 yrs.

880294274_downloadrt.jpg.209625446f240791ef0b1ce07d3e171c.jpghow to find the wear bars

Edited by brianthainess