Fawlty Towers: John Cleese attacks 'cowardly' BBC over episode's removal

rooster59

Fawlty Towers: John Cleese attacks 'cowardly' BBC over episode's removal

_112872262_hi000424723.jpg

John Cleese, who plays Basil Fawlty, has said the move is "stupid"

John Cleese has laid into the "cowardly and gutless" BBC after an episode of Fawlty Towers was temporarily removed from a BBC-owned streaming platform.

A 1975 episode titled The Germans was taken off UKTV's streaming service because it contains "racial slurs".

In it, the Major uses highly offensive language, and Cleese's Basil Fawlty declares "don't mention the war".

UKTV said it expected to reinstate the show with "extra guidance" in "the coming days".

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53020335

bbc.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2020-06-13

• Sad 1

Censorship rarely works. HBO recently removed "Gone With The Wind" so of course I had to download it and see what the deal was. Yes, it was horribly racist, but to remove it? I remember when the idiots tried to remove all videos with the twin towers in them (for instance, the opening scenes of The Sopranos). Good luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, transam said:

Mr.Bean will be next, followed by Allo, allo....????

I am currently watching many episodes of "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" (streamed and uncensored) and what comes from the mouth of Sergeant Major "Shut Up" Williams (played by Windsor Davies) is unbelievable these days - sexist, extremely racist and homophobic (his dislike of soldiers under his command who perform in Army concert parties dressed as ladies!) The "do-gooders" would have a field day! Whatever, personally the episodes are hilarious and very enjoyable.

image.jpeg.79e45d6901662a9fb52f93ca4650c8ae.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

I am currently watching many episodes of "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" (streamed and uncensored) and what comes from the mouth of Sergeant Major "Shut Up" Williams (played by Windsor Davies) is unbelievable these days - sexist, extremely racist and homophobic (his dislike of soldiers under his command who perform in Army concert parties dressed as ladies!) The "do-gooders" would have a field day! Whatever, personally the episodes are hilarious and very enjoyable.

A few (not many) years back we were working in Bangalore. A mate (let's call him Mick) was quite "close" to his Indian secretary who asked him for some "British TV", he gave her series 1 of "It 'aint half hot mum" (she was also an absolute cracker, particularly on the "traditional dress" days ???? ).

My response Mick, what have you done!!??

Her response - "I watched it with my mother" (arrgghhh!!!) "is there any more, it's hilarious?".

That other bastion of racial stereotypes "Mind your language" is also incredibly popular in India.

Do our Indian friends know something we don't??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

image.jpeg.79e45d6901662a9fb52f93ca4650c8ae.jpeg

Hahahaha nice one Bill .. 

• Thanks 1

The political opportunists have a new bone to chew on.

I recall the outrage at Barry Humphries portrayal of Sir Les Patterson an the outrage in some UK newspapers at the insult to Australians. All the Aussies I knew loved it.

There are always petty minded guardians who try to tell the rest of us that we should be outraged at, forgetting or ignoring that the whole idea is to ridicule the character who espouses extremist or objectionable views

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I gave up on the BBC long ago. Run by a bunch of PC <deleted>. They ain't alone though. Seems that most western media companies have gone down that trail as well. Nothing I can do about it except not watch their output and criticize them whenever possible.

They're unbearable and incredibly biased. Though they still put out quality shows, esp on the natural world, news has seriously gone off-tangent. Case in point; anyone who counters the blm thing is bracketed far right, while other news outlets might label them counter-protesters. No time for extremes on either side, but you could have a centrist standing up to the trashing of the nation's war memorials - or not towing the line and taking the knee - and they'd also be considered far right by the bbc. John Cleese is right, they are utter pandering cowards. Makes me barf.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, peterpop said:

They are not ''Far Left''  they are a new breed of self styled superior people who sit in judgement on the world from the high view of their insecure ignorant lives.

Exactly! It has nothing to do with right or left. Riding on the Covid-19 censorship train they try to force their distorted and hypocrite view on the world.

Journalist are pushed to not report the truth anymore, but only what doesn’t get this loudmouth self-righteous  hypocrite minority to start a twitter storm.

And they are all ducking and obeying. Cowards indeed. Disgusting.

Edited by yuyiinthesky

What a pathetic kind of peoples this world have been given birth on they even complain about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just one best thing to do and that is to stop living.

Racisme is never good but what is going on these last days is doing more bad then whatever.

Have the set of 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum', absolutely hilarious, 'Fawlty Towers' has been a long standing favorite. 'Stalag Luft' is great, need to dig out my copy and watch again.

Speaking of Stephen Fry, his series 'Kingdom' was great, the they left things unresolved with an ultimate cliffhanger in the last episode.  Still want to know the outcome of that, oh well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, peterpop said:

They are not ''Far Left''  they are a new breed of self styled superior people who sit in judgement on the world from the high view of their insecure ignorant lives.

13 hours ago, peterpop said:

Very well put, the world is becoming a minefield of be careful what you say. 

1984 rears it's ugly head, newspeak etc. 

I see it only getting worse, the universities of the world are unable to have robust debate due to someone getting offended or having a little cry. 

Weak kneed lilylivered snowflakes. 

It will only get worse. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rosst said:

Very well put, the world is becoming a minefield of be careful what you say. 

1984 rears it's ugly head, newspeak etc. 

I see it only getting worse, the universities of the world are unable to have robust debate due to someone getting offended or having a little cry. 

Weak kneed lilylivered snowflakes. 

It will only get worse. 

Not becoming. It's been that way in the west for at least 20 years. No wonder I loved Thailand where a moaning PC Myrtle was never to be seen.