Thailand fights to revive reputation as top tourist destination

webfact

Thailand fights to revive reputation as top tourist destination

COVID-19 tracing measures and troubled Thai Airways' cloud tourism revival

MARWAAN MACAN-MARKAR, Asia regional correspondent

Nikkei.jpg

Travelers wearing face masks are seen at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Thailand wants to create "travel corridors" or "travel bubbles" with certain countries, including China, Japan, South Korea and Vietnam. (Photo by Akira Kodaka)

BANGKOK -- A leading business hotel in Bangkok is sprucing up rooms, restaurants and hallways to meet new hygiene and safety standards as it prepares to welcome the first trickle of regular customers -- foreign airline crews -- in August.

"This is now a priority, including deep cleaning of our ventilator and air conditioning systems," said Marisa Sukosol, executive vice president of Sukosol hotels, which owns five properties in the Thai capital and in Pattaya, a seaside resort southeast of the city. "We have a loyal market, like airline crews from South Korea, and we need to be ready for them."

The government has encouraged the preparations after warming to "tourism bubbles" between Bangkok and select Asian cities to revive a travel industry battered by the coronavirus pandemic. Countries on an emerging shortlist for these new air bridges are China, Japan, South Korea, and Vietnam, all of which have largely contained the spread of COVID-19, just as Thailand has.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thailand-fights-to-revive-reputation-as-top-tourist-destination

nk.jpg

-- © Copyright Nikkei Asian Review 2020-06-16

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan said:

last I checked it was 280 baht for a beer on bangala road in phuket, 320 baht for a hotdog and 4,000 baht for a ride. 

not everyone who comes to Thailand goes to bangala road Phukut, beer is 60 baht in Pattaya & 70 in Bangkok, however Chinese don't drink anyway. Foreigners will still come for sex & beer although I expect the numbers to be alot less than the previous norms. Thailand is still cheap, accom is cheap, food can be cheap or international prices. Tourists will still come but less. imo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Who in their right mind would want to come here on holiday? Seriously?

last I checked it was 280 baht for a beer on bangala road in phuket, 320 baht for a hotdog and 4,000 baht for a ride. 

in benidorm you get 2 beers for 1 euro 50,  a hot dog for a euro and if you cant get a free ride on the square there is no hope for you anywhere.. not to mention the 70 quid return flights..

its a no brainer, Thailand has gone down the pan big time! 

Phuket and Patong in particular has always been an overpriced <expletive> and Thailand has never been geared to those kinds of British 'lager lout' tourists that frequent Benidorm, thankfully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Mallorca has 28 million tourist arrivals every year....and is a small island only with 1 airport....

It's cheap and beautifull there, just look on youtube...

can I get a beer & a pizza there  ... ?

1 minute ago, Skip Tracer said:

Trillian,

No one come to Thailand for a hotdog, but he's putting it in perspective. It's the big picture. Do you not get that?

Yes sure, but the pricing analogy is not right. If you have to make international price comparisons use PPP, the Big Mac Index, average hotel cost or some thing that can actually sensibly be compared.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Do you often go on holiday and buy beer from the supermarket?

I see Thais eating hotdogs all the time. They even have them chopped and bagged up ready on the counter at 7/11 and Jiffy mart at the petrol stations.

I don't drink but if I did I guess I might.

I'm not sure the cut up bagged hotdogs was what that poster had in mind, not quite the same thing as a coney island, whatever.

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

Good reasons not to go to Soi Bangla - you pay for your surroundings, the better they are the more you get ripped off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

in benidorm you get 2 beers for 1 euro 50,  a hot dog for a euro and if you cant get a free ride on the square there is no hope for you anywhere.. not to mention the 70 quid return flights..

You can find places in Patong where a beer is 50 baht. You can probably find places in Benidorm where a beer is 7 Euros. The only places where a beer is 280 baht are the commission-paying bars that touts take you to and I've never seen a 320 baht hot dog, though I've never looked, and a 4,000 baht ride? Were you travelling to Krabi?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Skip Tracer said:

Trillian,

No one come to Thailand for a hotdog, but he's putting it in perspective. It's the big picture. Do you not get that?

I bring my own "hotdog" with me.....the ladies "relish" it...I like to keep it in a warm set buns..hot n spicy!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

China? the very same country where it all started from with millions dead and affected? the country that hidden and fudged it's real numbers and figures of the dead and sick from WHO and the rest of the world? the same country that according to latest news the pandemic is still very much active there?

Why China? because Thailand will not dare exclude China out, of fear of economic reprisals and bulling just like they do to Australia now and any other country that doesn't agree with them...

You forgot to mention China’s selfish Mekong waters grab.  One of the worlds great river systems sucked down and away.

3 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

You make very good points and I agree that European destinations offer far better value for money, also considering that vacationers don't have to sit crammed together on a 11-hour flight just to get here. Thailand - in her typical short-sighted greed - has priced herself out of competition in many aspects; and at least as far as European holidaymakers are concerned.

But then again: Everybody knows that everybody visiting Bangla and its cultural attractions are high-quality tourists with fat, fat wallets. They can easily afford paying almost 10 euros for a measly beer. Uhm... I mean, isn't that what TAT keeps trumpeting all the time?

Meanwhile, the coveted quality tourists from China trod down Bangla Road like a cattle herd, taking pictures here and there before retiring to their hotels at 8pm. But of course not before they've stocked up on bottled water and instant noodles from a nearby convenience store. 

• Haha 2