Thailand fights to revive reputation as top tourist destination

webfact

Here's a really crazy idea. How about listening to potential tourists to find out what the their issues are, why they have come or potentially would come here. Do it is several countries. Then after segmenting the market, formulate a strategy to attract them, perhaps different groups to different destinations?

This is a straight forward marketing issue like launching a any new product. Some customers are receptive to different messages. A lot of Thailand's problems are the result of a lack of thinking and instead of 'Aim Ready Fire'

they do no analysis and do 'Fire, Aim Ready'. Any and every problem results in a sub committee being formed and no plan resulting but a wish that Thailand become the hub of the region, world, galaxy, cosmos in whatever the problem is. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think Thailand is under the impression that other national airlines will start operating taking only 25% full planes of Thais around the world and coming back with only Thais later. Sort of a thai worldwide taxi service

I think the term is"dreaming"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why China? because Thailand will not dare exclude China out, of fear of economic reprisals

Because history shows a very large percentage of Thais have Chinese descendants, vast amounts of infrastructure, property, investments, savings, commerce etc etc are owned by Chinese... Thailand is in all but name Chinese !

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

CHINA???? - oh dear!

Quote from today's TVF:-

BEIJING (Reuters) - After weeks with almost no new coronavirus infections, Beijing has recorded dozens of new cases in recent days, all linked to a major wholesale food market, raising concerns about a resurgence of the disease.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Berti said:

I fear this picky

"WE will decide who is allowed to come and when"

will not work.
This is not the way how you invite someone to spend his money in your country.

Thailand and Thais have worked hard to keep the virus from spreading within Thailand.

It would have been all for nothing if they are now going to allow infected people in 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

I find Thai food courts about the most depressing places to eat.

I could count on one hand that amount of times I've eaten in them.

Give me an open air restaurant and a bit of people watching any day

We must go to different food courts then. I use the one in BigC at Khampaeng Phet about once a moth and the food is quite good and not expensive. There are a lot of nice looking ladies there as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

You seem to be one of the very few believing the official Chinese number. What else do you believe?

Their numbers appear more or less believable. Sinovac is going for their vaccine trial phase 3 to Brazil, as there are very few cases in China for the tests.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

For many tourists you need a cost of sex and nightlife index. They are not interested in a Big Mac. Does such an index exist? 

Very good idea lets start one, however a big mac is a big mac but sex isn't sex. You can get a short time in Germany for below 50 Euro in a clean safe house. Here however, more often than not, it's an experience instead of something mechanical. So there has to be a quality index as well.

Furthermore, how about the CPT™ "costs per thrust" which is also dependent on the customer as well as the supplier and inversely related to the appearance and costs of the supplier as well. 

For the highest CPT, take plenty of alcohol before acquiring a beach road fatty. For the lowest CPT, stay sober and go home at 22:00 with a agogo stunner. 

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

We must go to different food courts then. I use the one in BigC at Khampaeng Phet about once a moth and the food is quite good and not expensive. There are a lot of nice looking ladies there as well.

You lack class mate. Don't you know that the TVF farangs are the main pillar of the Thai economy, one of them support 100 Thais, they buy each year houses and SUVs and so on. In fact they spend so much that they don't have money for visas left. Stingy keenocks like me eating in food courts are going to be kicked out.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

China? the very same country where it all started from with millions dead and affected? the country that hidden and fudged it's real numbers and figures of the dead and sick from WHO and the rest of the world? the same country that according to latest news the pandemic is still very much active there?

Why China? because Thailand will not dare exclude China out, of fear of economic reprisals and bulling just like they do to Australia now and any other country that doesn't agree with them...

If you actaully believe ANY numbers out of China about the "scary Covid 19 Flu", then I have some ocean front property to sell you in the Sahara Desert, sucker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seasia said:

I agree with you, overall if coming from UK or certain other European countries Spain makes a lot of sense for a holiday.

Spain has been more popular as a tourist destination for years, ranks 2nd most popular in the world, only edged out by France.

Portugal and I guess Greece also would be options.

Avoid a long and potentially uncomfortable flight by holidaying in Europe,far cheaper flights as you have stated.Rather than Thailand.

I am planning to move to Europe, northern Italy but would like some nearby countries for holiday breaks.

I was looking at the towns and cities in the Andalucia region of Spain.Some beautiful places to visit there.

Overall, lower cost.

Overall, less immigration and visa hassles.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Years ago Britain had an empire, now thats gone, in the past.

Just the same as the Thai tourist industry, gone, a thing of the past.

And just like Britain, a century later and Thailand's historians and leaders alike will wax fondly about the halcyon days of Thai tourism and pine for their return.

"Rich tourist come soon.  Wait!  You see!!!" 

• Like 2