BTU sizes for air con

poppysdad

Not sure if right forum, in the market to replace a very old air con unit so off to Home Pro. Had measured our bedroom which comes out at 20 sq metres and then googled many sites for btu recommendations and all suggested between 6-8500 btu. After a lot of deliberation we decided on a 12000 btu Mitsubishi top spec model. All going well with purchase until their salesman eventually asked me for room size and upon giving it to him he insists we need a 15000 btu unit. I dug my heels in by showing him many sites on Google with the recommendations but he’s having none of it. I nearly cancelled the purchase but he insists on coming to the house this evening to check my measurements, I assume he thinks I’m a stupid Falang who knows nothing about anything. However I’m prepared to eat my words, so who is correct the homepro employee or the many sites on Google. 

• Haha 2

But he insists on coming to the house this evening to check my measurements, I assume he thinks I’m a stupid Falang  and he may be casing the joint for his mates ???? to see if you got a 65 inch tv for his mates. ;0

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, whiteman said:

But he insists on coming to the house this evening to check my measurements, I assume he thinks I’m a stupid Falang  and he may be casing the joint for his mates ???? to see if you got a 65 inch tv for his mates. ;0

... have you just told the world that you have a 65" TV? ???? 

• Like 1

It makes a lot of difference if you want a temp of 25 or if happy with 27-28 (as most of us here long time prefer).  My bedroom is 26 sm and last two AC have been 9k models which cool fine for our preferred temps.  Ground-floor with cement tile roof getting sun and a little microfiber insulation on ceiling but no windows now (but even with one 9k worked fine except for one or two days over past decade).  Remember most homes here have little or no insulation (as not needed for winter) so figures for other locations may not be that valid here.  Believe your 12k unit will be fine if inverter (do not want larger units when normal as do not remove water as well).  

• Like 1

The Daikin (or other manufacturer) A/C calculators are useful. Things like; windows, room size, wall/roof exposure to sun and insulation will all make a difference. Go for the top of the line inverter model at the higher end of the BTU scale and any extra you pay now will be well worth it in terms of efficiency, comfort, convenience and long term power savings. BTW: depending on where you are in Thailand, I would probably not be buying from HomePro - I looked at HomePro but their prices, knowledge, range and model years of air con was nowhere near as a good as a local professional air con outfit. In the end I settled on Daikin from "Teddy Air" in Bangkok and they did a great job.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Just to give more info, floor space 20sq metres, windows facing west and north, rarely have sun hitting room. As Lopburi says we prefer a similar temperature to him, we also never use during the day ever, switch on approx 1 hour before going to bed and depending on how we feel it stays on overnight or we switch off before sleeping and rely on floor fan to keep room cool. I’m more than convinced the 12000 btu inverter model will be more than adequate after reading the replies plus doing more research on the internet. Thanks for the replies everyone.

yes ... thank you and god bless your aircon

15 hours ago, stouricks said:

If the ac unit is 'underpowered' however, it will have to work harder to get the temperature down by staying on longer. I have two 9000 units in my big living room and was told not to run only one of them. OK, lekky is a bit more, but ac will/should last longer.

I worked out the size I required then bought next size higher, for as the above says a machine working on its max, is not efficient overall.

john

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

I found that roughly the room in m2 divided bt two gives the btu in K not far off.

17 m2 room here has 9kbtu and 24m2 room has a 13kbtu aircon. Cooling good and they even get to their pauses.

Doesn't the height of the ceiling and number of windows and wall construction need to be taken into account. 

• Haha 1

Hey mate,

Feel your pain.. Just been through it twice with Numchai. 

As others have stated the current units in my house were undersized when installed, but surprisingly the house does have insulation (it's about 12 y/o) and noticeably cooler than our old house. 

For the study we went with a Samsung inverter model, but unlike the previous house have barely used it. 

The main bedroom we went with a Midea inverter. Midea was recommended to me by a good friend back in Austalia for a 4 car garage I converted into a studio, it was fully insulated including the walls and worked great. We are use the Aircon at night in the bedroom.

In both cases I went with my research as much as the salesman tried pushing other brands (perhaps got a bigger commission) that were cheaper. 

The other things I noted was the star rating. Only the Midea got 2 stars, the rest 1 or 0.... 

The one great thing here is the install times.... Back home it could be a few weeks, here, consistently it has been same or next day ! Got to love that. 

Worth noting too is that Numchai pricing includes STANDARD* installation, and they were by far the cheapest of the big retailers.  

* Standard install is very basic, back to back and so many metres of conduit, cable etc. 

PS> I am not associated with Numchai or anything else, just found over the last 6yrs they are consistently the cheapest for electrical goods, usually by a lot. 

• Like 1

I have a 40 SM room and have a 1200BTU inverter, has no problems keeping the room cool and does not work hard, Daikin or Mitsubishi OK. Don't listen to the BS sales people here tell you, they are told by their employer to push for bigger model, more money for them.  I googled via a air conditioner company BTU checker, cant go wrong.

Cheers 

I replaced the outside compressor unit (everything new) for my Mitsubishi AC. The older unit was over 25 years old and the outside unit made a lot of noise-a hell of a lot of noise. I replaced the compressor in the unit about 5 years ago and it still made a lot of noise. I only wanted the outside unit since the indoor part was one of those long flat units (1.5mx.5m) and didn't want to repair the ceiling after installing the new types of indoor units. I googled my room size (20 sq meters) was recommended 16000 BTU. I had it inspected by a reputable AC contractor and he said that for both to work properly, I had to replace the outside compressor unit with the same BTU strength. He opened the old unit and found it to be 36000 BTU. He called back later and said the if I wanted to replace just the compressor inside the unit 14000 baht, I wanted the entire outside unit (everything new-not rebuilted) 20000 baht. I chose the everything new unit. It works perfectly and has almost no noise louder than a hum. By the way, I went to Central Air in Pattaya for a quote (24000-new), a guy on Threpessit Road said 13500 baht for a rebuilted outside unit. I still chose the 20000 baht unit from the reputable guy.

• Haha 1

we have a 24 sq mtr room and use a 14 btu daikin, temp set at 25c and even at that temp it can get too cold at times, the salesman want to get more money from you, probably gets a commision  so the higher the price the more he gets, go to another dealer and get a price

• Haha 1