Buying beer in Laos

Paul52

I live not far from the Laos border.  I’m a beer laos fan.  I also like a good IPA, which are available in Laos.  Does anyone have any experience of driving across the border to stock up on beer?  Will Thai customs just charge import duty and taxes if I try to bring it back, or are they legally required by Thai law to confiscate it?  I guess any Thai official can ignore the law and act in a manner that is to their advantage

- happens all the time everywhere here *sigh*.  I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience of bringing beer back from Laos (legally).  
Thanks.

Not sure how your going to be able to exit the country and then return at this juncture in time.  As stated in the post above mine, Makro sells it, and I have been able to buy Beer Lao, dark, gold and the others they also make at my Local Tops.  Might want to go online and check your local markets and see if it is in stock.  Plus there are a few other alcohol delivery services here in Thailand which may have it as well.

When you can go to Laos , you can leagaly bring one case of beer and one carton cigarette. That is /person.

Cigarette really sheap but taste like sht! All labels same taste. Remember traffic chance right handed in boder! I have never drive there only few visa run coz live 65 kilometer from border.

Edited by 2 is 1

I can see where you are coming from, beer lao is as cheap as chips in Lao as opposed to paying over the odds at places like Makro. But bringing back beer from Lao has been covered many times on TV and it's something like 2 bottles you are legally to bring back into Thailand.

28 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

No idea. But our local Makro sells Beer Lao. Maybe yours too.

Thanks for the reply.  Ours ran out 3 months ago.  Also, Beer Lao have started doing an IPA, which is only available at a very inflated cost (even for imported beer) from Wishbeer.  Zippbike sell it for 69 Baht, but only deliver in Bangkok.  I’m sure it will be more trouble than it’s worth to hop over the border (even after covid restrictions end) - the Thais will make sure of that.  

• Like 1

The Laos Beer IPA is now on sale in 7-11 in Bangkok. I drive to Laos twice a year . Its easy to do the second time, they went all over the car details the first time.  Unless you have other reasons to go i'm not sure why you'd do it just for beer. The visa fee, plus full page out of passport,  plus car fee will take care of any profit. If you do go there are plenty of beer shops. I've never brought more than a case back but never been searched either. Most border locals seem to move bulky stuff by boat because its cheaper and perhaps more "tax flexible".

• Like 1

I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (the supposed beer capital of the world...ha ha) and way back in the 50's and 60's this may have been close to true except Germany and Belgium had great beers way back when.

I happened to assist the Beer lao movement in Chiang Mai about 15 years ago after I first tasted the dark and the light and determined that this was one of the best beers (and most affordable) that I have ever experienced.   I then proceeded to convince restaurants and bars to carry as it tasted so much better than its competitors.  One by one as I got to know the owners I would tell them I would not come back again until they stocked this gem.   Most gave in to my earnest request.

And now, yes, Makro carries the dark and regular and white lager also (except the white lager is so good, Makro was o/s the other day and I experienced some sadness but went ahead and bought a case of dark).   The IPA can be purchased at the liquor store on the NE corner of Huay Kaew and Canal Road but don't be so greedy and buy it all up please.

My rating is a tie for the best beer between the new white lager and dark, second for the IPA, and last for the regular lager and the gold which I think sucks!  

1 hour ago, Knocker33 said:

Most of them do but at three times the price of buying it in Lao. So much for free trade

There is supposed To be a free trade agreement with Australia but the imported wines are about double the price due to the taxes applied.

It seems that free trade here only works one way.

I happened to assist the Beer lao movement in Chiang Mai about 15 years ago...

I did the same in 2005 at my hotel in Phuket.  I used to order deliveries of Beer Lao from Bangkok (no local sellers at that time).  It sold like crazy ????

Nowadays, since I live in Laos, I just pop round to the local mom and pop store for the full range of Beer Lao at cheapo prices ????

They'll probably shaft you... all part of Thai protectionism and their awful 'beer'. I love Thailand but something seriously needs to be done about this issue, esp as its now all homogenised. The Thais should do a boston tea party and bung all the dishwater in the Chao Phraya and replace it with Beer Lao. 

/Rant Over. :whistling:

22 hours ago, Paul52 said:

Will Thai customs just charge import duty and taxes if I try to bring it back, or are they legally required by Thai law to confiscate it?

They will confiscated it.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:29 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

No idea. But our local Makro sells Beer Lao. Maybe yours too.

It's a good deal cheaper in Laos, than it is in Makro or anywhere else, so I guess that's why the OP is enquiring.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

There was a report a few months ago that due to the strength of the Baht against the Laos Kip, the price of Beer Laos was going to drop here. I'm still waiting... 

The only thing that will drop are you hopes. 5555555