Can't wait to get back into Thailand again... Work visa an option?

5 minutes ago, reallyaffiliated said:

Could my GF set up the company? She is Thai and living in BKK.

She could set up the company. But getting the work permit and the paperwork needed for a non-b would be about impossible to get without you being here.

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

If you are from the UK or USA back of the queue anyway. Get on a boat and sneak in illegally.

The Netherlands. Not as bad as the UK. But still not even close to Asian countries their numbers.

It's super frustrating though. It would be ideal if they would just allow you to come in if you'd stay in quarantine for 14 days at your own expense. I have no problem at all with that, and it would be 100% safe.

Edited by reallyaffiliated
extra
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, reallyaffiliated said:

It's super frustrating though. It would be ideal if they would just allow you to come in if you'd stay in quarantine for 14 days at your own expense. I have no problem at all with that, and it would be 100% safe.

The problem is the limited availability of the certified quarantine facilities.

There are just so many self-paid rooms available though the numbers seem to be increasing every day.

Another constraint are the available flights (only chartered for now).

As the Thai nationals repatriating program is close to a conclusion the government is opening the country up to other groups such as the work permit holders (currently) and spouses of Thais and permanent residents (hopefully starting in July).

What's gonna happen after that is anyone's guess.

15 hours ago, reallyaffiliated said:

Lol competitive mind, always trying to find a way haha

Am the same mate :-)

Stick with it, but be prepared for some extreme lessons in patience. Where there is a will there is a way - in my experience the way often involves making personal connections with government / official staff. Polite and respectful persistence pays off eventually.

Keep in mind that Thailand wants skilled IT workers here so we can transfer our skills to Thais. That's the one advantage we have over many others, so if doing so is in any way possible, push that aspect of your plan.

It took me two years to get BOI approval, set up the company and get a SMART Visa. First BOI application was rejected, first SMART Visa application was rejected. The regulations and requirements kept changing. I just kept going.

But boy was I glad of that visa when the Covid <deleted> hit the fan!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

There are many digital nomads here now working not taking Thai jobs but renting & spending here in Thailand. Give them a digital nomad visa at a higher rate or charge a tax. If not the nomads will hang out here and still do business. It will bring more nomads here to add to the Thai economy. I think they spend more than the Chinese tourists do.

Only if you can prove that digital pikeys are more voracious at the all-you-can-eat shrimp buffets.

On a serious note, digital nomads are far more prevalent than when they first started pitching a tent in Thailand maybe 5 to 8 years ago. Back then, they were mostly treated with suspicion and painted as some sort of social pariah by foreigners pursuing the more traditional methods of legally staying long-term in Thailand. As far as the Thai authorities were concerned, it was the possible enforcement of the rather nebulous "exerting effort" caveat of the Work Permit rules that made DN's either lay low or keep moving.

I would like to think that with Thailand 4.0 and other efforts, the value of digital nomads to the Thai economy can be seen beyond "renting and spending" and that work category and the added value is can bring to Thailand, be it through visa fees and taxes, be acknowledged by the relevant authorities. The current pandemic has led many to discover the efficiencies and practicalities of working from home. This working 'revolution' has just gotten itself a new tailwind.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A valid non-b visa and work permit would be needed to qualify at this time. 

Not sure how you would set up a company here and get the work permit if you are not in the country.

Getting a Work Permit here in Thailand to run your own Business you need the Following,

Non Immigrant Visa must get from you Home Country, or Resident visa, prior to begin process

Company certificate & Objectives with DBD Certificate from the Government Office,

Have 4 x Employees & you must Pay Social Security Monthly, Plus they will ask you for Balance sheet ?.

Even though you have not started the business.

If you are on a Marriage Visa 2 x Employees  Pay Social Security, 

List of Shareholders.Application for Vat,

Withholding Taxof the Company,

Financial Statment,

Photo of Directors passport & Work permit signature affixed,Office Map Location

Nature of Business, 

Company must have Value of 2,000.000 Bath, 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Only if you can prove that digital pikeys are more voracious at the all-you-can-eat shrimp buffets.

On a serious note, digital nomads are far more prevalent than when they first started pitching a tent in Thailand maybe 5 to 8 years ago. Back then, they were mostly treated with suspicion and painted as some sort of social pariah by foreigners pursuing the more traditional methods of legally staying long-term in Thailand. As far as the Thai authorities were concerned, it was the possible enforcement of the rather nebulous "exerting effort" caveat of the Work Permit rules that made DN's either lay low or keep moving.

I would like to think that with Thailand 4.0 and other efforts, the value of digital nomads to the Thai economy can be seen beyond "renting and spending" and that work category and the added value is can bring to Thailand, be it through visa fees and taxes, be acknowledged by the relevant authorities. The current pandemic has led many to discover the efficiencies and practicalities of working from home. This working 'revolution' has just gotten itself a new tailwind.

Quote:  "...painted as some sort of social pariah by foreigners pursuing the more traditional methods of legally staying long-term in Thailand."

Several years back in Chiang Mai a number of these characters always in a number of coffee shops and 'in your face' with their offers. Walk up, interupt the conversation and say 'do you have your own website and twitter and facebook and instragram account? If not why not, the Thai government says everybody has to have all these items, I can make all of them for you, give me your passport.' with hand outstretched. 

I saw same thing happen at Dukes restaurant. American owner turfed the girl out quick smart. 

Didn't take too long for them to get banned from many coffee shops etc.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, reallyaffiliated said:

In that case my GF could set up the company and invite me to work?

Sounds like a long shot.

But, a long shot is better than no shot at all.

Edited by Kelsall

20 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Didn't they say that you could come in with a letter stating that you are allowed to work for a Thai company?

OP doesn't work for a Thai company, and doesn't have either Non-B visa or wp.

Their repatriation statement on B visas & W/P was for existing only (ie. the prestated in place & happened to get caught out of the country when borders closed.

Setting up a Company now from overseas very difficult but your partner could set up a Thai one.

Get her to check out the requirements to "employ a farang"

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I haven't met many, but the few DN I met, all lived like cheap Charlie backpackers. They travel around mostly to evade paying taxes in their own country so I doubt they'll be happy to play tax here. And if a DN Visa would be more expensive (should be much more than normal visa in order to make it interesting enough for the authorities) most DN would probably still try to live here long term on VE or tourist visa.

Also, being mostly independent self employed, how would their knowledge and expertise benefit Thai society? For them to pass on their knowledge they should be employed by a Thai company....

On 6/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, reallyaffiliated said:

The Netherlands. Not as bad as the UK. But still not even close to Asian countries their numbers.

Given the limited flights available I think the priority is to repatriate Thai citzens caught abroad.... very selfish of the government but it is what it is !!

On 6/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, reallyaffiliated said:

Could my GF set up the company? She is Thai and living in BKK.

let me give you a solid short answer: 

-yes she can set up a company because she is a thai and she can open or start a business without any problem. Yes she can give you a work permit BUT first of all she needs a permit from the labor office or similar office that states her company needs a foreigner to do a specific job or work which thai citizen is not capable of to do that (example; english language school needs a native speaker teacher OR Mexican restaurant hires a mexican, etc.) If she can proves that its a job or work only you can do, no problem she can get the permission. My friends wife has a real estate business, she hired her husband to sell or rent houses to foreigners in another countries. You can see these kinda thing in pattaya often.

-yes you can start a business in your name, if you invest 2mil baht. (it was like this few years ago im not sure how much nowadays). And if you do so you can get a visa for 2 years and extend it like every 2 yrs.

good luck

PS: i know this because i tried to do this like 5 yrs ago. So if it changed please correct me, thanks. Bu i think its still the same

As I understand you need a company just for the sake of the visa. You can go to a "lawyer" (not sure these people have a law degree but let's call them lawyers), buy a shelf company, pay the monthly fees for taxes, office, "employers" (you won't have real ones, it's all set up by the lawyer) and accounting and let them help you with the work permit. They do everything, you just need the cash. Don't need paid up capital of 2millions as someone said. Total cost will be 100k/1st year, a bit less the followings. 

First and foremost you need a non-b visa and most importantly you need to get into Thailand. So a company won't help you coming here faster than any other tourist because you don't have a work permit. (That can be issued AFTER you get into Thailand with a non-b)

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 1

No.

Digital nomads despite all their  self promotion are not the type of business immigrant any developed country desires. They typically do not have the work skills, investment capability or income that meets the minimum immigration requirements. If they did, they would easily qualify for  business immigrant status. Oh sure, we'll be  treated to their tales of coding acumen or day trading brilliance, but the fact is, if they were as financially successful and as valuable as they claim, countries would be beating a path to beg for them to  come. They may  be very nice people, handsome, polite and all that good stuff, but they do not create jobs for Thais, nor make a significant contribution to the economy and that is the key characteristic of a  valuable business class immigrant.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I haven't met many, but the few DN I met, all lived like cheap Charlie backpackers.

I have met many digital nomads over the years. They vary a lot in their lifestyles. I knew one who, after selling out his one-man company for several million dollars, continued to act as a consultant on the product (sometimes online, sometimes travelling to the customer) at US$3,000 per day.

11 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

they do not create jobs for Thais

They might not open a shop making something and employing four Thais, but they live somewhere, they eat, these all get money to Thais.  If they could get them to pay tax then a town full of DMs could surely support a town full of service jobs.

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

They might not open a shop making something and employing four Thais, but they live somewhere, they eat, these all get money to Thais.  If they could get them to pay tax then a town full of DMs could surely support a town full of service jobs.

Of course, digital nomads do pay some taxes, notably VAT on most things they buy.