The week that was in Thailand news: Thailand: Life’s a beach and then you die

rooster59

Great story by rooster on life on asian beaches back in the day. I was first in Kuta in '75 and Patong '75 & '76, Calangute in '80 etc etc and this story certainly bought back memories. If only there was places like that in asia now(and I doubt there is), that are truely laid back, clean and healthy. Sihanoukville was good but definetly not laid back.

Rooster, so I read about the beautiful Thailand that was.  Your not objective anymore.  2 mentions  about Burmese so I had to go find it.  yes it appears Thailand has not been truthful.   They say no new cases but they act differently.   

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/asia/top-stories/myanmar-reports-23-coronavirus-cases-in-migrants-deported-from-thailand/ar-BB15HUoI

Edited by Elkski

6 hours ago, Andycoops said:

With the report of 20 or so Burmese being recently deported from Thailand to their homeland and all found to have cv19.

I think the Thai figures are just the tip of the iceberg due to the lack of, testing.

Oh no ....just when I thought the masks were all gonna come off soon, and everything was gonna be normal. Really? I disagree, I think the Thai numbers are pretty much on the money based upon the number of hospitalizations and the death rate. And anyway who cares. I am going to live through it for sure, as is my family. I hope we all get it today and that will make us even stronger! But alas we can't find any covid-19 in Bangkok try as I may.

I was also in Koh Samet in 1984 and one of my memories is of standing on a pristine beach with my Thai girlfriend, golden sand that seemed to go on forever, crystal clear water and not another person in sight. I opened my arms out wide and said to her, "have you ever seen anything like this?" to which she replied, "yes, I know, terrible, no shops".

Edited by nahkit
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I was also in Koh Samet in 1984 and one of my memories is of standing on a pristine beach with my Thai girlfriend, golden sand that seemed to go on forever, crystal clear water and not another person in sight. I opened my arms out wide and said to her, "have you ever seen anything like this?" to which she replied, "yes, I know, terrible, no shops".

I was there in 2009 with my Thai girlfriend.

Beach was lovely, but you couldn't sit on it because of all the sand-flies.

DSCF0685.JPG

Edited by BritManToo

There was an article on the BBC website yesterday, regarding the different way countries report Covid19, and there was also a table whereby they taken average deaths per month over the last 10 years. There were no comments regarding the different countries, however, in Thailand their reported deaths attributable to Covid 19 stands at 57, but taking into account the average deaths per year, in March there was a spike of 2316 deaths, over and above the monthly average. This to me indicates that this is possibly the reason the authorities have been reluctant to open the country up. Many countries have done the same, and hidden deaths citing other causes. As hospitals have not been overun, they have managed to keep a lid on things.

7 hours ago, mrfill said:

"There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover.."

No there won't. Bluebirds are native to North America and never get to the UK...

The Bluebirds in the song refer to the blue uniformed RAF guys in their Spitfires/Hurricanes planes.

images-1-1-300x153.jpeg

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Partenavia said:

There was an article on the BBC website yesterday, regarding the different way countries report Covid19, and there was also a table whereby they taken average deaths per month over the last 10 years. There were no comments regarding the different countries, however, in Thailand their reported deaths attributable to Covid 19 stands at 57, but taking into account the average deaths per year, in March there was a spike of 2316 deaths, over and above the monthly average. This to me indicates that this is possibly the reason the authorities have been reluctant to open the country up. Many countries have done the same, and hidden deaths citing other causes. As hospitals have not been overun, they have managed to keep a lid on things.

Don't suppose you'd have a link to that? I searched but could not find.

On 6/20/2020 at 6:35 PM, rooster59 said:

as it was revealed that success depends on thinking things through and planning, commodities in very short supply among the elite.

Indeed a very great reed. Thank you very much. 

Love the wording, especially above.

Thanks for another weekly read with memories. I spent 2 weeks in Phuket at Kata beach a

long while ago.

Stayed at a Friendship Bungalos, 300 baht per night with a fan or 400 with AC.

Great memories and way less European crazy drivers. I spend my visits mostly at Hua Hin 

now as I swim way less and like to eat without travelling too far. Next year

I may get brave again and go to Kata beach for a few days to renew my memories.

Geezer

22 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Thanks to all the people who left comments saying they enjoyed this week's column.

It means a lot to me even after 221 consecutive columns!

Cheers and have a nice day in Thailand or wherever you are missing her. 

Rooster

Great one this week. Brought memories back for me too. October 1982 traveling down to Koh Samui on a tour bus, while suffering from the trots (me, not the bus). Tiny toilet cubicle. Trying to keep my <deleted> off the dirty toilet seat while banging my head on the ceiling as the bus hit bumps in the road. But it was worth it. 3 months on Samui, before running out of money and heading back to Bangkok to find work.   

On 6/21/2020 at 6:21 PM, victorpeeke said:

Swallow are often referred to as 'bluebirds' hence the mention. There'll be swallows over...    Doesn't sound right. ????

Swallows over the White Cliffs of Dover - it sounds almost as clumsy as the bluebirds coming back to Capistrano. 

• Sad 1